Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cessna571
I’m sure Ian doesn’t want this forum to become an SE2 support/FAQ forum?

I want to know how long it takes for it to be fully charged. Can’t find that anywhere.

Is there an SE2 support forum elsewhere I should know about.

(Unless you don’t mind them being asked here?)
By gfry
i am more interested to know if anyone with an SE2 on the latest firmware is still having issues with signal loss. I for sure am.
By Cessna571
Do you mean disconnecting off the WiFi?

I’ve not, but I’ve not flown with it yet.

It’s been merrily tracking aircraft going past today.

One thing.. I remember with PAW seeing hundreds of contacts up to about 100 miles out.

My SE2 seems to max out at about 30 miles. I presume that’s due to its internal antenna, but 30 miles is plenty.
By ls8pilot
Cessna571 wrote:It just finished it’s first “big charge”, took about 9 hours. (Not turned on all day, just turned on now and then!)

Mine seems to take about 4-6 hrs charge from 4 hrs use typically, I gave it an overnight charge from 8 hrs use, so that sounds about right. I've used it for 2 x 4hr flights with no charge in between and no low-battery warnings yet.
By Rob L
My new SE2 has been on charge for over 24 hours, and the blue charging light has yet to go out as it should, according to the online-only manual.
By gaznav
gfry wrote:Mine dropped Satellite and WiFi signals multiple times today. Only had it a week....

I had that in the early days, but a couple of software drops ironed it out. Make sure you have the latest, like @MattL , I flew with it last weekend and no wifi drop outs at all - solid as a rock.

Software drops are hosted here as well as the documentation to support it: https://uavionix.com/support/skyecho/

The software is under the two links under “Support Articles” and make sure you update both the wifi and the transceiver software. The instructions are pretty straightforward :thumright:
By gaznav
Rob L wrote:My new SE2 has been on charge for over 24 hours, and the blue charging light has yet to go out as it should, according to the online-only manual.

Not all USB chargers are the same. In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1,500mA (1.5A).

I use a 1.5A and it takes about 6 hours to charge after the red power LED comes on (less than 1/3rd battery left).
By gaznav
Cessna571 wrote:Do you mean disconnecting off the WiFi?

One thing.. I remember with PAW seeing hundreds of contacts up to about 100 miles out.

My SE2 seems to max out at about 30 miles. I presume that’s due to its internal antenna, but 30 miles is plenty.

You should get better than that, but only from 250W and 500W Mode S ES transponders. Not too many of them flying right now thanks to COVID. Here is a picture of SkyEcho reception on SkyDemon when I was trialling the UAT FIS-B weather about 2 years ago. I have tracks in excess of 100 miles on the display.

By gfry
gaznav wrote:
gfry wrote:Mine dropped Satellite and WiFi signals multiple times today. Only had it a week....

I had that in the early days, but a couple of software drops ironed it out. Make sure you have the latest, like @MattL , I flew with it last weekend and no wifi drop outs at all - solid as a rock.

Software drops are hosted here as well as the documentation to support it: https://uavionix.com/support/skyecho/

The software is under the two links under “Support Articles” and make sure you update both the wifi and the transceiver software. The instructions are pretty straightforward :thumright:

Yep i am on the latest wifi software and firmware version. The device is a week old. I gave up using the device today as it had so many drops.
gaznav liked this
By Cessna571
gaznav wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:Do you mean disconnecting off the WiFi?

You should get better than that, but only from 250W and 500W Mode S ES transponders. Not too many of them flying right now thanks to COVID. Here is a picture of SkyEcho reception on SkyDemon when I was trialling the UAT FIS-B weather about 2 years ago. I have tracks in excess of 100 miles on the display.

Mine was on the windowsill, so not flying.

I expect it’ll see much further when in the air!
gaznav liked this
By gaznav
gfry wrote:
gaznav wrote:

Yep i am on the latest wifi software and firmware version. The device is a week old. I gave up using the device today as it had so many drops.

Sounds faulty to me. I would send it back.
By thebloke
Do they have to be sent back via the seller e.g. Mendelssohns? I'm assuming there is a statutory guarantee to get a refund if not willing to persevere with it?