Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By KarlS
Hi all,
Slightly niche qustion here. I hold an IR presently attached to my current airline types.
My background is ex RAF and my initial IR was "valid when operating as member of flight crew containing 2 or more pilots" attached to UK ATPL.
This statement seems to have been lost with the subsequent changes to JAA and the EASA.
Looking at EASA FCL regs it looks like I could fairly easily renew now to an SEP IR with no mention of number of crew without any extra requireents.
Am I missing something? Has anybody been down this road?
Any views appreciated
Cheers
By BoeingBoy
I retired four years ago from TUI and had always had an IR dating back to 1977. To enable me to continue to operate with my Archer IFR in Class A I simply did a flight test with an examiner who certified me for 'single crew, single engine' and I renew that every year. I had to get an EASA licence issued at the time as I was on JAR-OPS up to that point. It's included in the licence now.

The test (for me anyway) includes a departure, some basic handling, timed turns on limited panel. Unusual attitude recovery on same. Holds (we usually use a random VOR radial/distance) return to the field for an ILS and a RNAV approach. Be advised you'll need to have your IR annotated for PBN approaches by next year. The PPL/IR web site has a booklet you can download with all you need to know..........great cure for insomnia!

I don't know where you're based but I use CFT at Tatenhill and can recommend them highly. They come to me at my base for the day so very convenient.
Last edited by BoeingBoy on Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By KarlS
Thanks for the replies, funnily enough I have just renewed my FI after many years using CFT at Tatenill and I also would highly recommend them.
Thats partly why the question arose because I am now have the right to teach IF based on my old unrestricted FI but have no SP / SEP IR. Getting the SP IR is now high on my agenda and you have confirmed,as I suspected, that its a lot easier to do than I realised. Good news for a change!
By SteveC
KarlS wrote:Thanks for the replies, funnily enough I have just renewed my FI after many years using CFT at Tatenill and I also would highly recommend them.
Thats partly why the question arose because I am now have the right to teach IF based on my old unrestricted FI but have no SP / SEP IR. Getting the SP IR is now high on my agenda and you have confirmed,as I suspected, that its a lot easier to do than I realised. Good news for a change!

You can teach IF if you have an IRI or have done the IRI course and had the instrument restriction lifted and hold a valid IR.
By KarlS
SteveC wrote:
KarlS wrote:Thanks for the replies, funnily enough I have just renewed my FI after many years using CFT at Tatenill and I also would highly recommend them.

You can teach IF if you have an IRI or have done the IRI course and had the instrument restriction lifted and hold a valid IR.

Yep as I don’t have a restriction I just need to get the valid IR now and I should be good to go, hence the question. :)

A bit of practice with the electronic gadgets first methinks to get comfortable with the PBN. Then an IRT should do the trick by the sounds of it.
By AlanC
KarlS wrote:A bit of practice with the electronic gadgets first methinks to get comfortable with the PBN. Then an IRT should do the trick by the sounds of it.

Indeed. And oddly enough in your case this could be done by cross credit from your MP IR while doing a "normal" SEP proficiency check, so could be a very simple day out indeed, much shorter than the FI :wink:.
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
KarlS wrote:
SteveC wrote:

Yep as I don’t have a restriction I just need to get the valid IR now and I should be good to go, hence the question. :)

A bit of practice with the electronic gadgets first methinks to get comfortable with the PBN. Then an IRT should do the trick by the sounds of it.

If you haven't done it already, join PPL/IR Europe https://pplir.org/. It's well worth the subscription fee for any GA instrument pilot.

There's also a very good PBN manual that you can download from their site.

Paul
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
KarlS wrote:
SteveC wrote:

If you haven't done it already, join PPL/IR Europe https://pplir.org/. It's well worth the subscription fee for any GA instrument pilot.

There's also a very good PBN manual that you can download from their site.

Paul
KarlS liked this