Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hazel C wrote:Hi Nero, it sounds ike yo are coming along really well.

Yes it was coming along very nicely but of course now into the rubbish weather period so feels like I haven't gone flying in forever

(it was only 20th September but you know how it feels haha)

The guy who would do my exam is an older gent who seems very friendly if a little bit of a stickler for the rules. All of which is absolutely fine of course. He tends to make a joke on the couple of times I've interacted with him, so I'm totally relaxed about it and just need to memorise the calls I don't usually make on my lessons.

Those being INFORMATION and RADIO type stations, emergency calls (touch wood) and matz

Good to hear from you anyway and hope your tail draggers are treating you well!

~ Scott
By Hazel C
Hi Scott, yup, same here with my taildragging... Not flown the C140 since 12th Sept! Flew the Grob on the 18th, would have flown the Grob since but it went U/S on me when I was taking off a couple of weeks ago :-( . So I feel your pain! Hoping this weekend is good to get airborne again... I have even more of an incentive now that the owner has (or is about to get, not sure which) a WW2 warbird on the academy's strength!

As you are on your Nav now, is Duxford too far for you in a lesson? That would give you FISO experience (and they are really friendly there). It was a regular landaway for me when I was training. They are really kind to students too.

Fingers crossed the weather down in Kent is fine and you can get airborne this weekend. :D
By Nero
Hazel C wrote:
As you are on your Nav now, is Duxford too far for you in a lesson? That would give you FISO experience (and they are really friendly there). It was a regular landaway for me when I was training. They are really kind to students too.

Not just yet. Though I think I'd only need a couple lessons in a row and I'd be there.

I've heard Duxford a lot via a YouTuber and yes they do sound lovely. It's only 5nm further than Lydd (being my usual 'go to') but I'd have to negotiate London City and Stansted to get there; so they'd probably not sanction it right now

~ Scott
Hazel C liked this
By Hazel C
Ahh, yes, I guess being in the crowded SE, its a lot harder for you to train away from busy airspace. Guess I was lucky in that I had Class G airspace all around - albeit an AIAA! Duxford is easy for me to get to as its over the flat lands of Lincs and Cambridgeshire fens :-)
By Nero
First solo depart and rejoin - done!

Felt really good to have a little bimble. Route attached. Did a couple laps of Tenterden and it was just so good to be up there and looking around; enjoying flying like a PPL holder.

Busy day in the air with lots in the circuit, quite a few passing me by and even one coming straight at me about 100ft above... But all okay.

Even snuck in a PFL, which I think I did pretty well on. Though the fields near Sevenoaks (i.e. Getting nearer London) get smaller and smaller, so it's the toughest I'll be asked to do and likely tougher than my checkride.

Took a couple pictures in the excitement... :) ImageImageImage

~ Scott
Rob P, T6Harvard, tommyp1441 and 2 others liked this
By tommyp1441
That’s brilliant work Scott, well done mate. How are you finding workload with all the stuff you’re doing? Great pictures too, it looks like you had perfect weather for it, especially given the conditions for the last couple of weeks
T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
tommyp1441 wrote:That’s brilliant work Scott, well done mate. How are you finding workload with all the stuff you’re doing? Great pictures too, it looks like you had perfect weather for it, especially given the conditions for the last couple of weeks
Yes it was nice and looks like I was lucky with the weather as it's clouded over this afternoon.

Workload is okay though I do forget the odd thing. Today it was turning the carb off before landing. So I need to be more disciplined with the checklists for each part of the journey & circuit

I'm not going to use this plane again though. Transponder and DME unit not working plus a really old panel.

~ Scott
By Fellsteruk
Well done mate :)

“Really old panel” that’s part of the fun isn’t it, I’m sure sure of the kit in my Cherokee was original for back in the 70’s :)
By Nero
Fellsteruk wrote:Well done mate :)

“Really old panel” that’s part of the fun isn’t it, I’m sure sure of the kit in my Cherokee was original for back in the 70’s :)
Cheers. Yeah guess it trains you to not get too comfortable with the same thing every time!

~ Scott
By FlightDek
Nero wrote:Today it was turning the carb off before landing. So I need to be more disciplined with the checklists for each part of the journey & circuit

To help remember this all of my landings are C R A P :lol:
C - carb heat off
R - runway identified and clear
A - approach stable
P - permission granted (or not required depending on type of field)
By Fellsteruk
Nero wrote:
Fellsteruk wrote:Well done mate :)

Cheers. Yeah guess it trains you to not get too comfortable with the same thing every time!

~ Scott

I only have access to the one PA28 these days :( made me Laugh instructor asked if I preferred old Skool analog or EFIS..... I was like, give me a lesson in something with a glass cockpit and I’ll answer.

Had a little Garmin gps in the panel of another Cherokee but the resolution was poop never really used it.

Your steaming on now ;)
By Nero
Ah yes I've got Carp, bumfilch and pat for the circuit I was just busy having Carp landings for other reasons!

Fingers crossed for the weather next Sunday...

~ Scott
By Fellsteruk
What’s the “filch” I use bumfredahl which is a mouthful.

Anything beyond 5kt crosswind and my landings are Carp for sure!
By Nero
Brakes
Undercarriage
Mixture
Fuel
Instruments
Landing light
Carb heat
Harnesses
Hatches

There's a few variations of this of course but it's what they taught me