Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Boxkite wrote:Still seems like a student project.

I agree that one or two of the questions could be answered by 'it depends what you mean by' but I just gave the nearest answer and expanded in the comments field. Hopefully it's what people say in the comments that will give the real insights. For example, I'll plan a VFR flight completely differently to an airways IFR flight.

I'm still not sure of the relevance of a moving map to pre-flight planning though. :D
T67M liked this
By T67M
New survey is a huge improvement on the previous one - although I'm left wondering what useful information will come from the "tick box" part of the survey. Some obvious questions (e.g. "should GNSS navigation be taught as part of the PPL syllabus? Examined in the skills test? How should it be taught to existing PPLs?") can only be answered by abusing the free text fields.
T6Harvard liked this
Ah - now I understand why people didn't finish a different survey to the one I just completed - given that I did the modified one! I'm an every couple or 3 days visitor here so rarely completely up to speed - although when the weather gets worse and I'm stuck on the ground then it's different!

Suspect that there won't be a massive amount of variation in response to this survey from members of this forum - we're ALL jolly sensible, always have a moving map back-up (my record in a GA aircraft was 7 separate mounted and hand-held GPS devices - waiting to have that beaten in just a few seconds!), and of course have an appropriately (note: NOT fully) annotated chart. Right?!?

That last point is probably where we collectively differ. I'll typically put heading, waypoints, frequencies and (still wind) 2 minute marks on my chart lines - many will put less, some will put more.
By GrahamB
Aerials wrote:The survey has lost me at the first post; 1. Do you use a moving map when you are planning a flight?
Yes
No
Well, both actually but there isn't a response for that.

The answer is 'Yes' as it doesn't necessarily exclude not using one.

'Do you have a 50p piece you could lend me for this machine?'

If you have two 50p pieces in your pocket, the answer isn't 'No'!
Aerials liked this
By T67M
Aerials wrote:The survey has lost me at the first post; 1. Do you use a moving map when you are planning a flight?
Yes
No
Well, both actually but there isn't a response for that.

I agree that question isn't the best worded one in the world (it's not moving during planning, I might use other maps as well, ...) but it's probably the worst question in the whole survey. Sadly it's also the first, so it lowers expectations of the rest. Please persist, and use the free-text fields so that at least the GA community has said something and therefore can't just be ignored.
JodelDavo wrote:Done. Seems that somebody has actually thought about it this time round.

The same chap who thought about it first time round and then was mortified to discover that the flow logic had been broken between it leaving his PC and being loaded into the web engine. A living, breathing, *unpaid* human being with real feelings. Not a CAA apparatchik. And a friend of mine.

So if there's anything wrong with the logic this time it's my fault because he made me go through it a dozen times to check. The content is greatly pared down, you've noticed, to make it match the assumed attention span of the average pilot :D
MattL, Aerials, T67M and 5 others liked this
By Aerials
T67M wrote: Please persist, and use the free-text fields so that at least the GA community has said something and therefore can't just be ignored.

Well, I listened to you and Graham B and went back. I did persist and answered truthfully, giving (my) good reasons where asked for so hopefully, I've made a positive contribution.
Thank you both.
GrahamB, T67M liked this
By townleyc
matthew_w100 wrote:The content is greatly pared down, you've noticed, to make it match the assumed attention span of the average pilot :D

Quite agree, I had to check the 'phone a few times whilst doing it - Not!

Much improved

KE
flyguy wrote:.... I'll typically put heading, waypoints, frequencies and (still wind) 2 minute marks on my chart lines - many will put less, some will put more.

... except all the flights you did with me :mrgreen:
(I recall the objective was not to fly a route ... inverted :wink: :wink: )