Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wyton was top of the last last time round I seem to remember... That was when some cretin thought 6000 houses on Cambridge airport wouldn't exacerbate the traffic problems on the Newmarket Rd and A14 :roll:
johnm wrote:Wyton was top of the last last time round I seem to remember... That was when some cretin thought 6000 houses on Cambridge airport wouldn't exacerbate the traffic problems on the Newmarket Rd and A14 :roll:

The cycling lobby in Cambridge will argue that vehicular transport is simply not needed in Cambridge, and should be restricted / banned from any new development.
By johnm
rjc101 wrote:
johnm wrote:Wyton was top of the last last time round I seem to remember... That was when some cretin thought 6000 houses on Cambridge airport wouldn't exacerbate the traffic problems on the Newmarket Rd and A14 :roll:

The cycling lobby in Cambridge will argue that vehicular transport is simply not needed in Cambridge, and should be restricted / banned from any new development.

The cycling lobby is not closely in touch with reality. While Cambridge is fine for cycling many folk who live there travel for all sorts of reasons that makes cycling impractical and public transport unhelpful.
johnm wrote:
rjc101 wrote:

The cycling lobby is not closely in touch with reality. While Cambridge is fine for cycling many folk who live there travel for all sorts of reasons that makes cycling impractical and public transport unhelpful.

Yup, I live here. Unfortunately that argument will get you flamed for raising the fact that a cycle isn’t the only means of transport people require. :(
By johnm
I worked at the university for 5 years and the temptation to stick an umbrella through some riders’ spokes as they passed was almost irresistible :twisted:
By PeteSpencer
Cambridge house prices are up with London prices and a huge number of people working in Cambridge therefore have to live in surrounding villages and towns even as far afield as Bury St Edmunds.

You only have to observe the Quy exit on the A14 (by Marshalls) at 8.30 in the morning to see the traffic snaking off the A14 and crawling along the Newmarket road, right into town.

Not a life friendly/enhancing bicycle journey.

Peter. :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnm liked this
By G-JWTP
rjc101 wrote:

Yeah,

Probably related to the same 'nut' that now runs London.

G-JWTP
By johnm
Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of cycling and my son who lives in London takes advantage of improving infrastructure and can get from Brixton to Westminster a very great deal quicker on a bike than by any other means.

However trying to justify over-development by using bicycles as a panacea for the problems it causes is just plain stupid.
Rob P wrote:Looking on the bright side. It might return aviation and consistent opening hours to Cranfield.

Rob P

Yes, hopefully it will be a good move for Cranfield in terms of aviation and movements.
All I see lately are L3's aircraft flying about and the Seneca's practicing approaches at Cranfield from Oxford.