Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Is it possible to obtain a piggyback FAA licence based on my EASA PPL, without having to leave the UK? If so, how?

I've heard conflicting reports - some say you have to visit the US to a FSDO, others say there you don't have to.

Would be grateful if anyone has any recent experience or knowledge of the subject.
november romeo wrote:Thanks Iceman. Do you have the contact details of said guy in Norwich!?

He's called Captain Tom Hughston:He did my required tuition and Lasergrade exam at Norwich nearly 20 years ago:

But he moves about a bit: need to google him
There is a Flyer thread from 2009 if you search.
At one stage he was advertising as having a presence at Old Buckenham Aero club but not any more I believe: They may still have contact details however.

If you search the wrinkly dried fruit forum for '61.75 without going to the US' you will see a 11 year old thread with some very interesting views.

There was another bloke, helicopter pilot I think Adam something or other.

Found him Adam House FAA DPE Google is your friend

There's a sticky at the top of the 'Licensing' forum which you may or may not have seen....

Good luck
(I went to Las Vegas for mine 2002)
Peter
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
november romeo wrote:Is it possible to obtain a piggyback FAA licence based on my EASA PPL, without having to leave the UK? If so, how?

I've heard conflicting reports - some say you have to visit the US to a FSDO, others say there you don't have to.

Would be grateful if anyone has any recent experience or knowledge of the subject.

I have Adam House's contact details if you care to PM me. He's another one that spends a fair time out of the country, but generally when available he's at East Midlands Airport. I used him to add the IR to my 61.75 Private Certificate.
A friend of mine got his appoitment in the west coast FSDO this summer and flew there when US loackdown was eased for flight crew, but his appointment was cancelled in the last minute due to covid19 and he did it via Zoom session with an FSDO representative from his hotel room while being stuck there, funny times :pale: but maybe there is an opportunity now...

I did mine in Fox News Met studio for 50$ with a freelance DPE in NYC but some managed to get theirs without leaving the UK with captain Tom :thumleft:
By Cookie
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have previously compiled an information sheet which provides guidance on how to obtain a FAA certificate in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75. Feel free to contact On-Track Aviation for this or drop me an e-mail directly.

Cookie
gfry wrote:Tom cant issue piggy backs now. FAA closed that down. I was speaking to him at length the other week as I have to get a new piggy back....

Curious. He was still offering them a couple of weeks ago. My wife is after one.

Not commonly known is that there is a second UK-based DPE call Adam House (adamhouse AT hotmail.co.uk). He is only entitled to perform rotary flight tests, but he is fully able to issue 61.75 certificates both to fixed wing and rotary.

The FAA confirmed to me that both are in good standing a little over four weeks ago. Happy to share the note to any interested party.

EDITED: To include FAA email, since I see no reason that the contents are confidential

Iceman, GeorgeJLA liked this