Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:Thanks @Nero
Be interesting to know what reason the instructor gives, if asked.

Yes I'll have to ask him why we/people do not follow the tighter suggested circuit

And you're right, it definitely would be a struggle to get back from 2nm at 1000ft, I hadn't really thought about that. He'd asked what I'd do if it failed on take-off of course, but the only mention in the circuit was "don't land on the beach, there's lots of people there"

If the circuit is quiet next time, I'll try a tighter lap :thumleft:
By skydriller
@Nero

Out of interest, did your instructor want/teach you to do the standard rectangular circuit at Lydd, because I happen to have been doing circuits there not long ago myself and was very aware of the non-standard circuit shape due to the Nuclear installation. I did note that around 50% were doing what I tried to do (Im certainy not saying I got it right every time!), the other half rectangular circuits.

Regards, SD..

Edit having seen your replies : appreciate your honesty, BTW, no criticism from anyone here.
Last edited by skydriller on Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Miscellaneous
It is certainly worth clarifying. If you head off elsewhere and set up a 2 mile wide circuit you may cause a little confusion. :D Of course if you set up a mile wide and turn base with half your usual distance to lose height you may be a little surprised yourself. :shock: :D
Nero liked this
By Nero
skydriller wrote:@Nero

Out of interest, did your instructor want/teach you to do the standard rectangular circuit at Lydd, because I happen to have been doing circuits there not long ago myself and was very aware of the non-standard circuit shape due to the Nuclear installation. I did note that around 50% were doing what I tried to do (Im certainy not saying I got it right every time!), the other half rectangular circuits.

Regards, SD..

Edit having seen your replies : appreciate your honesty, BTW, no criticism from anyone here.

It's absolutely fine. Happy to be honest with it as I'm learning and essentially just doing as I'm told :)

In my limited experience of this, the times that I've had traffic in front of me, I'd have definitely cut in front of them if I'd been doing 1nm circuits and I've ended up going wider on the upwind/crosswind just to try and maintain some distance.

With the power station and the danger zone, it's quite difficult on the 03 circuit to extend downwind. Orbits take you out over the sea or a bit nearer the station depending where you start it.

The ATC has never asked anyone on radio for a tighter circuit whilst I've been there, and no feedback to the school that I know of. So can only presume that it's ... I want to say 'fine' or 'accepted' but I'm only guessing. Could be that the power station hates it.

We definitely stick to 1nm at Biggin Hill!

Anyway, I'll ask the instructor and see what the deal is :)
By Nero
Dear Diary,

Just dawned on me that I'm definitely not going to get this all done by the 45 hours minimum.

I'm up to 38.5 hours but only 2 hours solo. So with the minimum 10 hours there, that'd take me to 46.5 total and then there will be skill refreshing and mock tests.... I'll probably be around 55-60 by the test with all the back and forth to Lydd from Biggin.

I know it doesn't matter but I'm a bit sad about it all the same.

S
Hazel C liked this
By cjrpaterson
I wouldn't be too disheartened, 45 hours is just the minimum not a goal. Plus once you start doing solo navs/landaways that feels like "proper" flying, rather than a lesson, so you don't really notice the hours!
Hazel C liked this
By leiafee
Nero wrote:
I'm up to 38.5 hours but only 2 hours solo. So with the minimum 10 hours there, that'd take me to 46.5 total and then there will be skill refreshing and mock tests.... I'll probably be around 55-60 by the test with all the back and forth to Lydd from Biggin.

I know it doesn't matter but I'm a bit sad about it all the same.

Meh, by the time you’re swinging the lamp and telling tales down the line about how many hours you’ve got no one’s going to care how many of those were before getting a particular sheet of paper :)

It’s not fair on yourself to expect to magically have transit time tot up in the same way as “working” training time.
Rob P liked this
By skydriller
Nero wrote:I'm up to 38.5 hours but only 2 hours solo. So with the minimum 10 hours there, that'd take me to 46.5 total and then there will be skill refreshing and mock tests.... I'll probably be around 55-60 by the test with all the back and forth to Lydd from Biggin.

I think I read somewhere that 55-60 hrs is the average time. And anyway, if you did get your PPL earlier in 47 hrs, does that mean you wont fly anymore? So what difference does it make? Its all flying, and you get to fly off to another aerodrome solo for circuits... 8)

Enjoy the journey... :thumleft:
T6Harvard, Hazel C, TopCat liked this
By Nero
Thanks guys

And yes you're right, the solo stuff is going to start to feel just like I'm renting their plane (albeit expensively with instructor fees on top ) and having journeys around Kent

And it all hour builds me towards 100 which some groups have required anyway.

I really hope I get some solo nav on Sunday! Weather is looking promising

~ Scott
By Miscellaneous
IMO the big step in flying is not so much from student to licence holder as it is from renter to syndicate member/sole owner. Prior to that the flying itself is pretty similar and equally frustrating. :lol:

Having access to an aeroplane is what opens up flying opportunities and variation. :thumright:
By skydriller
Nero wrote:And it all hour builds me towards 100 which some groups have required anyway.

Some, not all. There was a thread about groups and hours on here not long ago.
By Nero
Well, the weather for my lesson tomorrow is looking suspect. :(

Currently reading all the RT manuals to be ready for an FRTOL exam should we get more dodgy weekends in the near future

~ Scott
By Hazel C
Rob P wrote:We used to have student fly outs where experienced pilots would offer a lift to the selected venue to students in their locality.

I fear "due Covid" has put an end to that

Rob P

Yep, shame isnt it Rob, I was starting to think about offering a flight to a student to one of those just as you did for me :-)
Rob P liked this
By Hazel C
Hi Nero, it sounds ike yo are coming along really well.

As to the FTROL exam, my examiner was very relaxed and really put me at my ease, I hope that yours is the same, and good luck with it!

As to the hours to qualify, as others have said, if you are only doing it for pleasure, and the money is ok, dont worry about it too much....if it helps at all, I took 222 hrs to qualify....so anything under that is good :thumright: :lol:

As to the circuit size, because of my training, I fly ovals. It always throws me in fact when Bomber circuits are required! (I do them, its just that they aren't quite as pretty and usually require a go around ;-) )