Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hey Nero, nice one! I reckon I'll be contacting you, asking for some sort of mind meld when the time comes for steep turns!

I did get to do minor aeros last year and was fine with someone else driving and a couple of G as we twirled upside down and round and round BUT, I was confident that the bloke in charge knew what he was doing. Plus it was a lump of an a/c, not a spam can.

(Not that I am planning aeros in a 152, of course, before anyone thinks I'm nuts/ completely ignorant)

Having said that, I am not brilliant with heights, and couldn't face a rollercoaster so there is no logic to my reactions. I think I will have a few 'ishews' with steep turns and stalls. Mind you, my instructor is not one to suffer fools gladly so I guess he'll get me to just crack on and toughen up! I'll report next lesson but atm I feel his attitude is in fact just right for me, however I suspect he is a bit Marmite. 

Have rung the flying school and asked for any cancellations  :mrgreen:
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:Hey Nero, nice one! I reckon I'll be contacting you, asking for some sort of mind meld when the time comes for steep turns!

I understand it works but it still feels a bit odd :) I spend my entire time making sure that I never get into a dangerous stalling situation, or actually anything beyond about 15 degrees of bank either pitched or rolled :lol:

Then he says, oh yeah it's totally fine to roll 45-60 degrees and pull the stick back as hard as you can - which is what I was doing for the steep turns last Saturday.

But I do understand the speed is king here, so I must be below the critical angle of attack for this given speed and pitch. I must be! Or the horn would've sounded :)

The last spiral dive exercise that we did was at almost 90 degrees and it felt VERY weird. However, followed the same recovery steps and it was absolutely fine - no drama.

In one part of my brain, I've got all these videos I've watched of accident investigations and doing as much as I can do to never do it myself. In the other part are these 'safe' manoeuvres and recovery techniques. Trying to find the threshold between danger and recoverable is what I'm trying to get settled in my mind.
T6Harvard liked this
By UncleT
T6Harvard wrote:
 (Not that I am planning aeros in a 152, of course, before anyone thinks I'm nuts/ completely ignorant)

The only aircraft I've been in whilst it was doing aerobatics was actually a 152 "Aerobat".
By Nero
I managed to slip away from work today and sneaked in a lesson. The joys of being a manager and wfh this week

Went to Lydd and did some more solo circuits managed to get in three T&Gs and one landing to collect the instructor. Some pretty tight, neat circuits as you'll see in the attached. Only went close to the danger zone because there was a C152 bumbling along in front of me

I'm now up to the dizzy heights of fifty minutes solo!

Also did a PFL on the way back which I wasn't expecting. He said it was really good and would've been a pass in the test! I personally thought I'd gone downwind too far but hey...

Next lesson on Sunday Image

~ Scott
tommyp1441, t1m80, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:You're in the zone, eh, Nero?! Not that Zone, 'the zone' :thumleft:
Great to hear!
I was definitely in a lot of red zones haha, but thankfully not the one I was told to avoid

Oh another thing, Farnborough Radar East was closed. First time I've had that, so I spoke with London Information who were a very friendly bunch.

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By GunnyD3v
T6Harvard wrote:ha,ha! Not available at my school. Although i believe a T6Harvard visits from time to time, looking forward to seeing her!

Oh there is :D It’s currently on its annual, I’ve flown it a few times when my usual aircraft was on its annual, I’ve even had an aerobatics experience in her.

Good stuff Nero, we seem to be neck and neck, both Solo’ing on the same day and both on 50 minutes, here’s to some good weather over the weekend :thumright:
By T6Harvard
GunnyD3v wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:ha,ha! Not available at my school. Although i believe a T6Harvard visits from time to time, looking forward to seeing her!

Oh there is :D It’s currently on its annual, I’ve flown it a few times when my usual aircraft was on its annual, I’ve even had an aerobatics experience in her.

Good stuff Nero, we seem to be neck and neck, both Solo’ing on the same day and both on 50 minutes, here’s to some good weather over the weekend :thumright:

Oh no! I'll be bankrupt by the year end :lol:

Hope you both get good weather and have a great time. Do report back. Please?!
GunnyD3v liked this
By Nero
GunnyD3v wrote:

Let's not get competitive....... Wink wink

~ Scott
GunnyD3v liked this
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:
Hope you both get good weather and have a great time. Do report back. Please?!

I will! I'm glad there's a few funny sorts on here who enjoy our ramblings about circuits and t&g's

~ Scott