Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By B1engineer
Rob P wrote:
dall1234 wrote:Cosford still welcome visitors.

As long as it isn't a weekend I understand?

Rob P

Unfortunately not, planned a trip to Gosford a few weeks back, but this is on the travelling here by air section:-

Update: Air Traffic Control has informed us that they are not currently accepting civilian flying until further notice, likely to be early in the New Year.

B1
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:You are totally correct. The human standard of welcome was on a par, though I didn't see any staff actually running away to avoid us at Woodvale, but nature conspires to award the accolade of worst ever to Benbecula since there was some sunlight at Woodvale as opposed to the deluge that constituted 'weather' at the champion venue.

I still think you are being a bit harsh making such judgements on a single visit many years ago. :D

That said the only reason I can think of to go to Benbecula would be if visiting one of the other islands.
Rob P liked this
By chevvron
B1engineer wrote:Unfortunately not, planned a trip to Gosford a few weeks back, but this is on the travelling here by air section:-

Update: Air Traffic Control has informed us that they are not currently accepting civilian flying until further notice, likely to be early in the New Year.

B1

I should point out that ATC do not make decisions like this; they're merely passing on an order of from station commander.
kanga, VictoryRoll liked this
By chevvron
Miscellaneous wrote:
Rob P wrote:You are totally correct. The human standard of welcome was on a par, though I didn't see any staff actually running away to avoid us at Woodvale, but nature conspires to award the accolade of worst ever to Benbecula since there was some sunlight at Woodvale as opposed to the deluge that constituted 'weather' at the champion venue.

I still think you are being a bit harsh making such judgements on a single visit many years ago. :D

That said the only reason I can think of to go to Benbecula would be if visiting one of the other islands.

I visited Benbecula once but I didn't fly myself; I was in the BAC 1-11 of RAE Farnborough (XX919 for the spotters) and there was no problem, the visit being in connection with the adjacent Army operated rocket range, however this was in the days when NATS ran the airfield (1978 I think) using just one person as airport manager and ATCO assisted by the fire service who were also refuellers and baggage handlers; since then HIAL have taken over; gawd knows how many staff they use to run the place.
I remember there was a sandy beach at the south west end of the main runway which would have been very pleasant er hang on, haven't we already done that one? :twisted:
By pullup
Wood ale.
Never had a problem. Used to call the day before for PPR (always granted) and flew up from London in the morning. Went to see mother in an old people’s home nearby and departed in the afternoon. Did it numerous times and saved hours upon hours driving.
They have (had?) a civilian flying organisation and parked with them. Only 5 minutes walk to the gate.
2002- 2008, dunno who was running the place, but very accommodating.

Benpeculiar.
Used it in the Falcon 20. Again no problems. They even stayed late one day so that we could depart after getting stuck at the range head.
By Miscellaneous
pullup wrote:Used it in the Falcon 20. Again no problems. They even stayed late one day so that we could depart after getting stuck at the range head.

Maybe they just have an aversion to Scousers? :shock: :wink: Whatdaya think @Rob P? Think the fella that ran may have had his wheels knicked previously? :tongue:

I've only ever been in to Leuchars by air. A bit embarrassing when the controller had to say; 'if you look down, you'll see the runway'. :oops: :oops:
By Rob P
chevvron wrote:I visited Benbecula once

I rest my case. :thumleft:

Rob P
Miscellaneous liked this
By chevvron
Miscellaneous wrote:
pullup wrote:Used it in the Falcon 20. Again no problems. They even stayed late one day so that we could depart after getting stuck at the range head.

Maybe they just have an aversion to Scousers? :shock: :wink: Whatdaya think @Rob P? Think the fella that ran may have had his wheels knicked previously? :tongue:

The NATS ATCO Manager when I visited Benny was Scottish and a bit bitter and twisted because he had been at Aberporth (the airfield not the range) prior to DERA disposing of it and had been transferred to Benny due to a change of RAE policy (Making it FISO instead of ATC in order to cut costs and still provide a service of some sort to the one or two movements per day)
By Full Metal Jackass
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
G-BLEW wrote:Approaching Berkston Heath to land (with full PPR etc.) was welcomed by an 'all traffic' call from ATC warning of 'A civilian in the circuit'

Landed at Culdrose (with full PPR) after a PAR in heavy rain. Chap rushed out with a brolly - that's kind I thought - on opening the door he said 'Hello, how would you like to pay the landing fee'

Yeovil - Fantastic
Lossiemouth or Kinloss (cant remember which) equally fantastic

Even a Serco run military airfield on a bad day will be 1,000 times easier than Zhukovsky (UUBW)

Ian

+1 on RNAS Yeovilton; in 2014 I organised a fly in from our club in Germany, a few of them wanted to visit the Fleet Air Arm museum and I suggested combining it with a visit to the Haynes Museum in Sparkford - absolutely fantastic.

I used to think permission was granted because my uncle owned the pub just off the far end of the runway 22 and he had the staff coming in for food and drinks regularly but the reality is, the staff were very accommodating in allowing our aircraft to land - once we could show the insurance indemnity, of course.

For me they went even further, brought my uncle and my father on base, where they joined me and off we went for a bimble to Dunkeswell but not before circling over his pub / lodge taking tons of pictures. As my uncle had previously worked for Westland before buying the pub, he was particularly interested in seeing all the Lynx helicopters which he'd once worked on building......
Dave W liked this
By BoeingBoy
I've been trying to get into Cosford for five years now and never managed it. I rang on Monday looking to go in on Tuesday to be told no, there's an air display on. Yes, I said, but it's only a fly past at 1500. I could be out by then. Still no joy.

When I said I'd been trying for five years, and even have had my insurance on file with them in previous years the reply was 'Oh well, we've got a civilian in today, visiting the museum. The club's operating so they were allowed in'. From that I surmise that if the flying club are operating then you might succeed. Perhaps it might work better to ring the club first and then apply to ATC.

I agree with the comments above that Cosford are frankly shameful in the way they avoid allowing visitors in. It's one of the most underused resources next to a national museum. I fail to understand how a UAS Squadron of Grob's and a flying club make visiting GA unacceptable.
gasman, VictoryRoll liked this
By Flyingfemme
Ibra wrote:Just a note RAF landings don't come cheap, maybe grass ones like Halton & Henlow are in 30£, the rest of tarmacs are +60£ to 200£ range and some only accept paper check book :lol:

Hehehe. We bought some Kingairs from the RAF a few years ago. They did allow us to fly in several times but then kept sending landing fee bills requiring us to post a cheque. [Facepalm] I haven't written an actual cheque in living memory!
Ibra and 1 others liked this
By Ibra
Flyingfemme wrote:Hehehe. We bought some Kingairs from the RAF a few years ago. They did allow us to fly in several times but then kept sending landing fee bills requiring us to post a cheque. [Facepalm] I haven't written an actual cheque in living memory!

Hahah, welcome to 2020 :lol: , how long did it take them to process your cheque? I don't recall how long they took but it seems like 3months

Reminds me of landing fee in France, we could not pay on the day as no one was around, still they send a 5Euro bill to some US trust address in US, who forward it to someone in Suffolk, who forward it a syndicate member who lives in London but get his letters in NZ during winter, he did email me a scan of the bill to pay it, but they only accepted French cheques, luckily my wife had one, we put that in a 3Euros letter that was confirmed as received, all took 12months but the cheque is still not cashed yet :lol: