For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rjk983
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Prompted by the pocket camera thread... any recommendations for a digital photo frame that will let me upload photos from afar and play a slideshow?

There used to be some that were Wi-Fi enabled but I haven’t looked into this for a while.

I’m also not averse to building my own based around a RaspberryPi if anyone can suggest some hardware and a source for the code to make it work.

Thanks.
By Rob P
I'm a great fan of digital photoframes, a far better alternative than leaving your digital images languishing unseen on your hard drive. Our current one has 2,000+ images, cycling randomly at a15 minute interval.

Not sure about the wi-fi part. I just reduce the images to about 400kb and upload them to an SD card. Hardly seems worth the faff of wi-fi.

Mind you, I think the 55" Smart TV can almost certainly do this, but I'd rate that as overkill.

Rob P
By stevelup
You can't upload files to an SD card from afar though ;)

I think the OP wants a remotely updatable one. Could probably re-purpose an old tablet?
By Rob P
stevelup wrote:You can't upload files to an SD card from afar though ;)

Oddly, I never imagined you could. Way beyond my limited teccy knowledge that sort of stuff

Rob P
By Propwash
Rob P wrote:I'm a great fan of digital photoframes, a far better alternative than leaving your digital images languishing unseen on your hard drive. Our current one has 2,000+ images, cycling randomly at a15 minute interval.

I have been thinking about something like that to display images of our travels around the world. I haven't explored the possibilities in any depth yet, but is yours adjustable in cycle rate and what is the battery (I presume it is not mains powered) life like?

TIA

PW
By Rob P
Well ours is mains, or at least transformer-powered

There are all manner of variations, you can get them proximity activated so they don't display whilst the room is empty, there are remote controls so you could click through manually like some latter-day magic lantern show, really it's just a case of checking through the myriad ads on e-bay and Amazon.

My wisdom.

Settle on a display format, I use 16:9 and stick to it for the images you upload, then when it gives up the ghost (they seem to have about a five year-life) get another in the same format. Nobody goes through 2,000 image files re-cropping them to 4:3 individually. You will note that anything shot in portrait rather than landscape is a big disappointment on the frame.

As above, files in the 250-600kb size range are all that is needed for a 10" display, higher resolution is just wasted.

Yes, the intervals are programmable. We have settled on 15 minutes, it gives you time to actually look at the image, rather than a 30-second flash through. Not all offer periods this long. They can be displayed in order, or randomly.

I doubt it's worth spending extra for a super-complex one. It has a simple task to do and the cheap ones do this quite happily. This is why there isn't any need for hyper-resolution displays, you really are looking at the memory, not a photographic exhibition.

Be warned, our is in the same room as the television, we often find ourselves talking through the memories and losing track of the broadcast offering. The cry of "Where was that?" is heard frequently :D

I add images a couple of times a year; the ones from July's gite holiday are there now. Then it will dredge up an image we haven't seen for years, that's always rewarding.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By akg1486
I bought a digital frame from Frameo for my parents for Christmas last year. Can't remember what it cost: not super-cheap, but well worth every penny. It has WiFi and there's an app that lets others upload pictures from anywhere. I have two brothers, one of whom has a family, and we all upload pictures. Much better than emailing.

There's no risk of getting pictures from unknown people; to make the app work you need to enter a one-time security code generated by the frame.

To look at pictures I've taken myself, just beaming them on the TV is of course a cheaper and simpler option.
Rob P liked this
By Rjk983
akg1486 wrote:I bought a digital frame from Frameo for my parents for Christmas last year. Can't remember what it cost: not super-cheap, but well worth every penny. It has WiFi and there's an app that lets others upload pictures from anywhere. I have two brothers, one of whom has a family, and we all upload pictures. Much better than emailing.

There's no risk of getting pictures from unknown people; to make the app work you need to enter a one-time security code generated by the frame.

To look at pictures I've taken myself, just beaming them on the TV is of course a cheaper and simpler option.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I’m after. I saw some a few years ago in boots but at the time our internet wasn’t any good for email let alone large file transfers. I’ll check them out.

I’m also still quite interested in doing some diy with a Raspberry Pi if anyone can point me towards a bit of code.