For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By oldbiggincfi
Does anyone know and have reasonably used a cheapish wrist type Blood Pressure Monitor that will record over 24hr period and provide a print out .

The thing the local GP has pumps up ; blows out ; Squeezes Arm ; sometimes records ; and disturbs everybody's sleep every half hour.

Then you might get a print out if your nurse has computer skills.
By romille
I don't believe that wrist monitors are as accurate as the upper arm ones, furthermore I think most need to inflate the cuff to get an accurate reading. Finally not many of the cheaper ones will be able to be programmed to take readings at set intervals.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have no medical knowledge, so take this as you will but i was led to believe that wrist monitors are inaccurate.

Yes, the conventional ones do have to inflate and deflate to measure the pressure. Yes, the 24hr monitoring is disruptive to the wearer. Not sure why the wearer has to inflict it on anyone else though (spare room?).

MrT6 resorted to a spreadsheet and an Omcron (£20-ish) but obvs not done throughout the night. The Omcron II, I think, has a function that allows you to see the previous 20 readings, although not via printout, just on the machine itself.

HTH
By JAFO
I tried my wrist based one (which was bought very cheaply a number of years ago) while in the doc's surgery with him carrying out his BP check on the other arm. Mine over-read by a couple of points on what he thought.

He now accepts my readings if I take three groups of three readings at various times of the day and submit the average to him.
By avtur3
I've been self-monitoring for 7 years now, I certainly agree that the general advice talks one away from wrist monitors.

I recently replaced my upper arm monitor with a new one from Kinetic Wellbeing (£25 Argos), it works in a slightly different way. Other monitors I've used inflate to a pressure and then take readings as the pressure reduces, this one measures during the inflation cycle, it's no big deal but it means the process is slightly quicker, so if your measuring and taking an average of 3 readings there is a slight time advantage, also this latest one is whisper quiet, it also has built-in memory for 90 readings which can be helpful.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Wrist ones are cheap and super sensitive to position.

Buy an Omron or similar clone with an appropriately sized cuff (the standard one is for most people too small and then causes erroneous over-reading) Other than for diagnoses don't bother with home-readings.
By PeteSpencer
My Omron M7 Intelli finally proved what I’ve known all along and that is that paradoxically I suffer from white coat hypertension So for the six weeks before a visit to my GP or AME I take a daily blood pressure reading which by some black magic is uploaded somewhere. I then download my ‘diary’ and present it at the appropriate consultation

Peter
By Dodo
24 hour automatic blood pressure machines for professional use are very expensive. eg for £1400 uid you can get this https://www.numed.co.uk/products/mobil-o-graph-ambulatory-blood-pressure-monitor?gclid=CjwKCAjwzIH7BRAbEiwAoDxxTpPNQbSnKejZUqsjgL4tPUl7KV3M67ypwZjP5_ltyVw2IgUqMl-cvhoCWLkQAvD_BwE

I have always thought that a cheap home one could be made by getting an Omron monitor that records BP ( for less than a tenth of the price) and connecting a relay and timer to the start switch button switch with a timer that set it off at hourly intervals. Perhaps 2 hourly at night. It would be bulkier than a dedicated 24 Hr BP monitor but still small enough to carry around in a harness at home.

Alternatively, I'm sure there are knowledgable people on this forum who could adapt the circuitry of a home BP monitor, to add an hourly electronic start rather than a relay.

But perhaps technology has moved on since I retired and home (as opposed to expensive professional) 24 HR BP monitors are now available.
By PeteSpencer
My Omron wasIIRC £80 ish

But it could hardly be described as portable. Might be OK at bedside by some wizardry but tube is a bit short unless you sleep like a log and don’t move all-night.

Peter
By oldbiggincfi
JonathanB wrote:I have one of these https://www.getqardio.com/qardioarm-blo ... e-android/

Would only need a software update to do regular readings I’m sure.

Does this provide a print out ?

It would be nice if this could be programmed to run say once a hour .

So far been able to maintain a Class2 medical from results of 24hr monitor provided by local GP .
Recent changes at the GP surgery have reduced availability through lack of servicable equipment and staff competence .

Blood pressure to me seems such a variable where even local practice GP cannot decide when limits are exceeded . Diastolic in my case is always low > 70 but systolic varies from 110 at night to 170 after a flu jab .

Precautionary medication is great but not so great for flying if it makes you dizzy .
Putting up with a small cough can be tolerated .
By Flyin'Dutch'
It is exceptionally rare for it to be difficult/not possible to sort out out a patient with medication that regulates BP well without giving undue side-effects. A bit of patient and effort on the part of both clinician and patient may be required.

Given the difficulty people regularly report on here and other internet forums I am wondering if I should just set up a 24 hour ABPM (Ambulatory Bloodpressure Monitoring Service) and retire on the proceeds.

Not sure what makes it such a challenge to provide his to patients
AndyR liked this
By JonathanB
oldbiggincfi wrote:
JonathanB wrote:I have one of these https://www.getqardio.com/qardioarm-blo ... e-android/

Would only need a software update to do regular readings I’m sure.

Does this provide a print out ?

You can get the app to email you (or your doctor) a CSV spreadsheet I think. You could then print that out.