For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thought I'd ask in case this sounds familiar to anyone.

I regularly have to send invoices via email to a guy I work for, he has an email address "his business@yahoo.co.uk" which he has been using for many years. For reasons I don't understand he can't receive emails that I send to him. I have used 4 different email accounts I can send from, a Gmail account, 2 hosted Exchange accounts on domains that I own, and a none hosted email on another email I own. I've tried straight forward text-only emails and emails with pdf attachments, nothing gets through to him.

There is another guy (another subcontractor) who needs to send emails to the same person and he has the same problem.

Has anyone come across an issue trying to send emails to a 'yahoo.co.uk' email address?
By avtur3
ChrisRowland wrote:The usual problem with this sort of email is that they are very fussy about attachments. Gmail accounts are hopeless they seem to accept practically none. The effect is usually that the email vanishes with no feedback.

Thanks, but as I said I've tried different combinations of attachment and no attachment, I've sent emails with and without attachments from my Gmail account to my 3 other emails without any problems.
On the domains you control, can you get the logs from the mail server on your side to see what is happening when you send the email?

If it being rejected you should usually get some kind of failure message. The only other explanation would be it's being dropped or quarantined by spam filtering.
By skydriller
Odd.

Unlike Gmail, where "dodgy" emails just dont ever appear, Yahoo send "dodgy" email to the spam folder where you can retrieve it yourself.

I have had someone send to .com instead of .co.uk though ( I think).

Regards, SD..
ChrisRowland wrote:Gmail accounts are hopeless they seem to accept practically none.

Google must be making an exception for my two accounts, personal and work. I have never had an issue, even with large image files.

Send attachments with your Gmail message
You can send up to 25 MB in attachments. If you have more than one attachment, they can't add up to more than 25 MB. If your file is greater than 25 MB, Gmail automatically adds a Google Drive link in the email instead of including it as an attachment.

Rob P
rikur_ liked this
By rikur_
At the risk of going back to basics, typically there are at least three ways the email doesn't arrive:

1) The recipient system refuses to accept it (in which case it is up to the sender's email provider to report the delivery failure). This used to be the preferred failure method for e.g. 'no such email address'; 'sender IP blocked'; etc ... but some mail providers moved away from this, because it made it too easy for spammers to test if their spam was getting through. Mail failing at this stage will not be in the recipient's spam/junk folder.

2) Delivery failed/blocked within the recipient mail provider (E.g. mail fails spam heuristics, no such recipient, mailbox full, etc) - the mail might be returned; added to a spam/junk folder; or silently dropped. My experience of the big players is that all do a mix of these depending upon the condition. With Gmail I've observed mail move between states - e.g. initially delivered to spam initially, then deleted retrospectively when Gmail confirm malicious etc.

3) Mail filtered by client software - for example antivirus software installed on the user's computer, or even the native 'junk mail' rules in some email clients. In my experience these tend to be a bit dumb and prone to filtering good mail.

ChrisRowland wrote:The usual problem with this sort of email is that they are very fussy about attachments. Gmail accounts are hopeless they seem to accept practically none. The effect is usually that the email vanishes with no feedback.

IIRC Gmail only supports file types that it white-lists as attachments and can verify as safe. This covers mainstream office formats, media, zip files, etc ... but gets upset with encrypted zip files and various file formats used by developers.
By rikur_
skydriller wrote:
Boxkite wrote:Gmail has a Spam folder too.

But there is never anything in it... So gmail seems to work differently to yahoo.

If you are using an email client (e.g. Outlook) to access Gmail - make sure you look in the right 'spam' folder, you need the one nested under the [Gmail] folder, not the top level one.

Some clients like MacOS mail allow you to map the 'junk' folder to the '[gmail]/spam' folder in preferences.