Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
Nero wrote:I did it!

Exercise 14 - First Solo

Way to go! :thumleft:
By Fellsteruk
Well done Nero I’m so chuffed for ya you must be over the moon right now, I was hoping to do the same today but the plane was out of service today. :(

Good luck on the solo consolidation :) your skills test won’t be too far away :p
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Hazel C thank you! You've been a big help

Cessna571 wrote:Did you get the “right, let’s stop celebrating I’m flying solo, and concentrate on landing this thing” feeling when flying downwind?

Haha yes I did! I shot through circuit height because I was too excited and watching my bank angle and speed too much.

Then I caught the height, made my downwind call and did my checks before just enjoying the downwind over the sea and beach.

Then base and final. This was my 8th circuit of the day so, once I was in that zone, it all felt very normal as I was concentrating.

Nailed the landing

~ Scott
By Hazel C
@Hazel C thank you! You've been a big help

My pleasure Nero, I struggled when learning as you know, so only to happy to support and encourage students, as I remember how I felt... :)
By t1m80
Yay, Scott, well done mate! All good things and all that.

I'm now back out of club validation again so my next flight will be with an instructor. won't be booking that till I'm back from holiday at the end of September. That will have only then been 3 flights I will have managed post PPL in february, two of which will have been revalidation flights.

Gotta get me a plane, this is ridiculous.

Must sort out a meet up with Wicksay once I'm back....
By Nero
t1m80 wrote:Gotta get me a plane, this is ridiculous.

Thank you

Sorry to hear about your lack of flying time. You definitely do need to sort out a plane! A guy on another thread here was saying similar, and it's really got me thinking.

I'm trying to form a rough idea in my mind of setting a goal every 50 hours (my aim per year). I don't think I'd be comfortable taking passengers in my 50-100 hour range so I've found a non-equity Cessna 152 at my home airport of Biggin which I plan to use post-PPL to keep the hours ticking upwards.

My goal for that bracket is to get my IR(R) and Night ratings. So when I'm not in the school's plane doing that, I'm using the Cessna to hour build and do local bimbles plus the 25 hrs PIC & cross country that you need to even start the IR(R).

Once 100 hrs, my next idea/goal would be to get a share in an aircraft. I have no people in my day to day social circles who are into planes and very little practical knowledge of aircraft ownership. I think it would be a good idea to get into a group at this stage and mix with the right people. Oh and take some friends and family up in it! Pop to Le Touquet and IOW perhaps.

Then 150... Who knows, didn't get that far on my drive home tonight haha... Maybe an adventure in Europe. Italy?!

Of course, this is all conjecture of an active imagination on a boring drive home so actual hours and results may, and probably will, vary significantly.

But it's nice to have a plan and/or dream. The Cessna and IR(R) + Night rating part is a firm goal if/when I get my licence

~ Scott
MachFlyer, t1m80 liked this
By Wicksay

Hey Tim, defo on the meet up, more the merrier. If you're free Scott and any other newbies in the SE.

Frustrating circumstances for you're new hobby. I sympathise as I'm sure I'm not going to be cert in hand until next spring, which will be over 2 yrs!

I feel the need to plan an building holiday somewhere warm, sunny with an abundance of aeroplanes!!
t1m80 liked this
Nero wrote:

Thank you

Sorry to hear about your lack of flying time. You definitely do need to sort out a plane! A guy on another thread here was saying similar, and it's really got me thinking.

I'm trying to form a rough idea in my mind of setting a goal every 50 hours (my aim per year). I don't think I'd be comfortable taking passengers in my 50-100 hour range so I've found a non-equity Cessna 152 at my home airport of Biggin which I plan to use post-PPL to keep the hours ticking upwards.

My goal for that bracket is to get my IR(R) and Night ratings. So when I'm not in the school's plane doing that, I'm using the Cessna to hour build and do local bimbles plus the 25 hrs PIC & cross country that you need to even start the IR(R).

Once 100 hrs, my next idea/goal would be to get a share in an aircraft. I have no people in my day to day social circles who are into planes and very little practical knowledge of aircraft ownership. I think it would be a good idea to get into a group at this stage and mix with the right people. Oh and take some friends and family up in it! Pop to Le Touquet and IOW perhaps.

Then 150... Who knows, didn't get that far on my drive home tonight haha... Maybe an adventure in Europe. Italy?!

Of course, this is all conjecture of an active imagination on a boring drive home so actual hours and results may, and probably will, vary significantly.

But it's nice to have a plan and/or dream. The Cessna and IR(R) + Night rating part is a firm goal if/when I get my licence

~ Scott
Had similar thoughts about hour building... But I've changed my mind... I think I'm going to look at things from an experience point of view rather than just hours... Will chat about it when we meet up.

Lee
By Nero
Oh jeez... just when I thought I had a plan, someone throws something new into the mix.

I was talking to a local group today and mentioned wanting to take the IR(R) as part of my journey to 100 hours. They then said "you may wish to look at the BIR"... what?!

Having just googled it, am I right in thinking this was meant to be a nice EU-wide standardisation of the non-commercial IFR rating? The IR(R) is UK only, right? So this would've been a better one to have?

But of course, no one knows exactly what will come out of EU divorce for GA flying so we may only have IR(R) anyway..?

I saw one post online that said BIR isn't due to be available until September 2021 which I think would work out about right for me if it has similar minimums to the IR(R) and if it's available to UK pilots!

:?
By t1m80
"I don't think I'd be comfortable taking passengers in my 50-100 hour range" - nonsense, by the time you pass the skills test you would've already been carrying a passenger for half the time - your instructor. There comes a point when they fold their arms and just let you get on with it :-)