Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By r_w_walker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
South Moor Farm Airstrip.

Update 26/05/21

The Fifth appeal as just been dismissed!

Despite every grass strip in the country having abundant birds and wildlife.

Cannot overcome the bird problem!

Unless I/we manage to change the planning system it could be impossible to ever get planning permission for new sites.

I cannot see a way forward to obtain planning permission.

I am thinking of trying to find out what the penalty will be if I start using the strip again.

Bob.

Update 22/02/21

South Moor Farm. Dalby Forest air strip.

The fifth appeal against NYMNPA decision to refuse my planning application for
an air strip at South Moor Farm has started.

Thank you if you have already submitted comments to the North York Moors National Park Planning Authority, they will be sent to the planning inspector.

If you wish to add further information or comments you can do so at:-

https://acp.planninginspectorate.gov.uk

The planning inspectorate reference is 3265041

The refusal is still because Goshawk, Nightjar, Turtledoves etc might be affected.

Bob.

Sorry after five attempts it seems the NYMNPPA will never approve an airstrip for public use.

I have prepared a new application myself. The main change being that I am applying for sole use by myself and use in an emergency. (The strip was offered for use during the current Coronavirus situation after a request from the Flying Farmers association, but not used.)

As forum users will not be able to use it I do not expect any support.

However if I obtain planning permission I will be supporting other airfields by flying to them. The money saved by storing my aircraft in my field rather than paying for another field will be donated to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance

However if you want to offer any support here is the link to the application.

http://planning.northyorkmoors.org.uk/N ... I=PLANNING

Click “Add Comments Here” to add comments.

For new forum members:-

History, ignore if you have read it all before!

I used my field as an air strip in 2016 and 2017 under the 28 day permitted development rule.

In 2013 I applied for planning permission for an air strip which was refused for various reasons by the North York Moors Planning Authority.

After the appeal against that decision a Planning Inspector discounted all the reasons apart from one. That being the size and type of storage building requested. He also said I could use the field as an air strip for 28 days per year without planning permission.

In 2014 I applied again but the storage building now looked like a sheep shed near the existing barns. I am a sheep farmer so thought this should be acceptable. The planning authority refused on the same grounds as the first application.

The planning inspector at the second appeal agreed with the first planning inspector and I was awarded costs against the planning authority on most of the reasons for refusal. However he again thought the storage building was not suitable so dismissed the appeal.

Two planning inspectors had now agreed that the only reason to refuse permission was the type and size of the storage building.

So for the third application in 2015 the building was removed from the application.
It was again refused on exactly the same grounds as before.

The planning inspector at the third appeal agreed with the other planning inspectors and I was awarded costs against the planning authority on most of the reasons for refusal. However now the planning authority stated they were concerned about protected bird species which might be affected. The planning inspector dismissed the appeal on the grounds that there was insufficient information about the effect on birds.

A bird survey was commissioned for the fourth application in 2016 looking at two species Goshawk and Nightjar which the planning authority had targeted. The survey concluded that although the habitat near the strip was suitable there was no evidence that the birds were affected by aircraft. However the planning authority again refused permission but this time only on the bird issue.

A further bird survey was carried out in April 2017 after flying from the strip had started.
The survey revealed that goshawks were flying near the strip but again concluded that there was no evidence of harm.

The National Park Authority also started an Article 4 directive which came into effect April 2018 stopping use of the field has an air strip.

The planning inspector for the fourth appeal hearing again dismissed the appeal because he felt there was insufficient evidence on the birds and re introduced concerns previous inspectors had found acceptable. Letters of support and evidence from an air field manager and wild life photographer that birds were very happy to be near aircraft seemed to be ignored. The decision came very quickly, within one week, which suggests the bulk of the planning inspectors report was written before the hearing.

The planning authority seems very determined to stop my air strip despite two similar air strips operating in the National Park. They also have a very busy gliding site at Sutton Bank, which uses powered aircraft to tow gliders. They have approved several planning applications for expansion at Sutton Bank so I do not understand their opposition.

There is a local opposition group over 1 mile away where one of the planning committee members lives. The planning committee member is not part of that group and always leaves the committee room when my application is being discussed.

The air field was in use from October 2016. The air strip was used for 25 days out of 28 permitted, for 20 take offs and 20 landings during 2017.

This was stated during the fourth appeal hearing and nobody said there were any complaints or noticeable effect on birds.

A new planning consultant prepared a fifth application in 2019 and submitted for pre application advice.

Never submitted due to very negative response from NYMNPPA. Who thought there was still not enough evidence on impact on birds!

That planning consultancy could not see any way forward.

I have prepared a new application myself. The main change being that I am applying for sole use by myself and use in an emergency. (The strip was offered for use during the current Coronavirus situation after a request from the Flying Farmers association, but not used.)
Last edited by r_w_walker on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By r_w_walker
Thank you Johnm.

Misc and Skydriller are you supporters?

I know Farmer has commented on my problem in the past. Perhaps he realized he was repeating an earlier post. Cannot find his post on this topic, must have deleted it. Would have liked to see it.
By Flyin'Dutch'
There was indeed a post by The Farmer who suggested that a different tactic would have led to a more, for you, desirable outcome.

He reiterated his offer of help but that this would require a different approach on your account.

I thought that was a generous offer, and from someone who has been very successful in establishing strips, something worth considering.
By skydriller
r_w_walker wrote:Misc and Skydriller are you supporters?

Ive followed what you are trying to do on here and obviously wish you luck, but like @The Farmer commented, I think you have gone about doing it in completely the wrong way. ..The phase "softly softly catchy Monkey" springs to mind.

Regards, SD..
By TheFarmer
I deleted it because I felt it might have sounded dictatorial.

I’ve followed the methodology for the attempted strip establishment at Southmoor, and would politely say that it’s the complete antithesis of the way to go about doing it, in every possible way.

Sorry.
By r_w_walker
TheFarmer,
Thank you for your interest.
I would advise anyone thinking of setting up a farm strip to follow your advice.
Unfortunately, although in a fairly remote location, Dalby Forest attracts thousands of visitors. Five hundred have stayed on the farm since lock down ended 4th July!
If you can set up a strip and keep it secret, great, if you are in a popular tourist area it could be more difficult.
Ten years is a long time to operate without coming to the notice of the planning authority.
I hope many will follow your advice and set up successful farm strips.
If I eventually succeed, it may help others to obtain planning permission.
Without planning permission airstrips can be shut down when the planning authority becomes aware of them.
r_w_walker wrote:Misc and Skydriller are you supporters?

I did support in the past in writing to the planning authority and providing the name and number for a specific site where wildlife is very successful despite it being used by aircraft. If I recall you did speak to the man and he provided some good info. :D
Not sure if this will help ..

There was a report on this Forum a few weeks back that the government have changed the 28 day rule to 56 days for the rest of the year.

It’s because they’ve decided to relax the rules on temporary structures (ie beer marquees in pub gardens etc) to get the economy kick-started again, that the whole 28 day restriction has been temporarily doubled.

All 28 day restrictions fall within this, so anyone worried about movement numbers that this might be a breath of fresh air to those flying from restricted sites.
Personally, I just think @r_w_walker has simply upset the wrong people in the Local Authority and they be being bl00dy minded.

From personal experience, I know that people in my local authority can be unprofessional, vindictive, deceitful and biased just to suit private agendas.

I've said it before, you are being too nice.
Pilot Pete, Cessna571 liked this
Sooty25 wrote:Personally, I just think @r_w_walker has simply upset the wrong people in the Local Authority and they be being bl00dy minded.

From personal experience, I know that people in my local authority can be unprofessional, vindictive, deceitful and biased just to suit private agendas.

I can also promise that kind of behaviour exists and has cost me many £thousands
PeteSpencer, Sooty25 liked this