Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
townleyc wrote:What is morse?

An 'olden days' thing

It's called Endeavour these days.

Rob P
townleyc, Irv Lee liked this
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Hi all

I know practice is key but given real RT is tricky now not being flying any ideas how to help me master RT?

I’m pretty naff, I think it’s mostly due to cognitive overload when flying my mind goes to mush but there must be a way to get more confidence?

The practical test that some get stressed about should be relaxing but students cannot forget it is a test. When you fly, do you have a big desk, glass of water, endless paper and pens, write down details without having to fly an aircraft, room to sit back, aircraft on auto pilot except at turning points, no lookout, no freda checks, not had to notam or weather check or performance, or M&B, someone gave you a nav plan and frequency list, etc etc.
(I know some old lag non-student will reply yes! ;-) ) it should be the most relaxing flight you do, but of course it is called a test so isn't.
@T6Harvard mentioned online live claases / lessons, you can pm for details, no obligation!
dc3guy, T6Harvard liked this
By David Wood
Who you are; what you're doing; where you are; and what you want.

G-ABCD
CAP10 Compton Abbas to the Needles
2 miles north of Tarrant Rushton at Altitude 1500' 1016
Requesting Basic Service and Zone Transit on track VFR
By Crash one
I seem to remember it consisted of a list of positions that I had to use to estimate “where I was”.
Then make appropriate calls and replies. I didn’t find it stressful, I knew the instructor who was in an adjacent room.
On the other hand I may have had an advantage being used to using military radio, ground based talking to air traffic from a crash and rescue vehicle, even though it was some forty years earlier.
The thing is, you are talking to a normal person, if you get the perfect terminology slightly wrong it’s not the end of the world.
All he needs is.Who are you? Where are you? What do you want?
It’s just like a telephone.
I didn’t write down copious notes to myself as it would just be confusing trying to cover every scenario that I may have to face and then look up the correct response.
Remember to read back any instructions you are given.
Good luck, it really isn’t difficult.
T6Harvard liked this
By MachFlyer
I’m very new but early on in my training I bought a cheap scanner. If I was early for my lessons or if my lesson was cancelled for some reason I used to sit listening to the radio a lot & found out quite quickly that a lot of it is repetitive really. I kept it in the car & on my travels I would drop into an airfield cafe for a coffee and a listen to how the radio calls were at different places, ie AFIS places like Barton or A/G like Welshpool. Crib sheets I found useful for initial calls to the tower but you quickly learn them as you get further into the training.

I went on a 2 day RT course for the practical & theory and to be honest it was one of the best bits of my learning. Lots of fun.

Good luck with it all :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
By defcribed
Something worth noting is that when you hear a really lengthy and protracted exchange on the RT it's usually because a pilot has screwed up (with his or her RT, not necessarily the flying).

So don't sit there thinking "gosh, I wouldn't be able to manage all that" because the idea is to avoid doing so.
Rob P liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks for all the advice guys, passed comms this week, was funny because I also managed to get back up in the air today for the first time since March and I was Uber confident my comms would be good, started well but I messed up a bit coming back to the zone but in my defense it was like a million degrees :)
T6Harvard, JAFO liked this
By Fellsteruk
Thanks. Yeah it was a sunnies day, and nothing cooler than steep turn practice over the Mersey.

Back to circuits today if this cloud clears.
By ROG
Buy a transceiver----You can listen to R/T which helps a lot , and you"ve also got a tool that will get you out of trouble if you have a radio failure. Looked after -it will prob ably last for your whole flying "career". Mine has the headset attachment on the side--just in case and it"s always within reach--you never know.
By Fellsteruk
Good idea, I did get a cheap receiver but I’m too far away where I live but good when I sit outside the airport plane spotting.

Live ATC is good on the iPhone but unable to get UK, Shannon is the closest and they talk so fast plus the accent it’s tricky lol

Been watching a few people on YT who fly out of blackpool and Barton which has been good to get use to some of the RT
By ROG
Felis-----just another thought. Have you looked at U-TUBE.
There are masses of aviation videos on it including how to land , take off, use radio etc.etc.
Probably worth a look---its amazing what you can learn from it.
By Rob P
ROG wrote:Have you looked at U-TUBE.

Fellsteruk wrote:Been watching a few people on YT

@ROG Now you have mastered the Caps Lock we can turn our attention to yoofspeak :thumleft:

Rob P
Paul_Sengupta liked this