Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
yes, let the boys have fun. No problem with that.
But a CPL with a Fox thingy stall/spun into the ground, almost died, thankfully didn't. Youtube followers (with encouragement) have donated enough to get him a new Fox thingy.
No problem with that.
I applaud Just Culture, Youtube is fine. CPL making a HUGE basic mistake and being rewarded with a new plane?
I don't think that fundamental airmanship / training / safety culture principals have been followed.
Bear in mind that I am contemptuous of a 'by rote' safety culture, it (IMO) doesn't work.
But hot dogging, screwing up and getting a replacement plane out of it is messed up. Flying Cowboys are having fun, which is nice, but it's not smart, safe or (usually) informative.
Have fun. Be smart and live forever (or die in the attempt) [Lightly borrowed from Yossarian]
neilmurg wrote:But hot dogging, screwing up and getting a replacement plane out of it is messed up.

No it's not, a one off due whatever circumstances is absolutely and totally irrelevant. :D

neilmurg wrote:Flying Cowboys are having fun, which is nice, but it's not smart, safe or (usually) informative. Have fun. Be smart and live forever (or die in the attempt) [Lightly borrowed from Yossarian]

And therein lies the problem, it's only your way that's acceptable. Thankfully that's only your opinion and quite frankly it is wrong for you to assume others should be limited by your opinion. :wink:

Let them be, free of criticism. :thumright:
disagree @Miscellaneous. I didn't ask / expect anyone to agree. with my opinion, or express the desire/demand that the[edit]y[/edit] should conform to my 'rules'. My 'rules' are only to inform ME about what I should do. I don't and haven't said anyone else should agree. I don't expect anyone to give a flying f*** about what I think.
So do what you like, let them do what they like. Don't criticise me for what I didn't say. And 'therein' sounds clever, but needs backing up. Try harder.
atb, I like you Misc, but I think you're a grumpy bugger, still trying to get to Skye this week xx
Last edited by neilmurg on Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do find Cory a bit odd and I'm not really a fan of his videos or style of discussion. But I do think he should be able to do his thing. It appears there's more to his incident, watching it back slowly he did get his bushwheels up quite a bit when he was standing it on the nose. But I guess we're unlikely to know.

When Johnas did the video where he had the cluster headache I thought that was the sort of thing that could be a problem for his medical.
neilmurg wrote:disagree @Miscellaneous. I didn't ask / expect anyone to agree. with my opinion, or express the desire/demand that the[edit]y[/edit] should conform to my 'rules'. My 'rules' are only to inform ME about what I should do. I don't and haven't said anyone else should agree. I don't expect anyone to give a flying f*** about what I think.

That's just empty waffle, no one is questioning your opinion or passing judgement on it. You are entitled to it. What I am simply suggesting is that the extent of your forthright criticism does not portray the live and let live attitude you claim. For some reason you are unable to simply say, 'too risky for me, but the best of luck to them'. You have to use unhelpful and unnecessary derogatory language in expressing your opinion of your fellow pilots. Your words are not words of someone content with the type of flying the Flying Cowboys do.

Tell me, are you so critical of the aero pilots who really do explore the extent of the envelope and beyond? :wink:

neilmurg wrote:I think you're a grumpy bugger...

Ah, now you're criticising me. Really? :? I challenge you to have a look through the thread at the depth of the negativity in your contributions and come back and tell me I'm the grumpy one. :wink:

As I said in our PM exchange, I'm happy to agree to disagree. :thumright: I am however almighty grateful that this modern tendency to so venomously criticise others based on one's own definition of dangerous wasn't around in the time of the Wright brothers. :D
neilmurg liked this
lobstaboy wrote:The Wright Bros were in fact very careful, methodical, and mindful of safety issues. It's one of the reasons for their success.

As are the Flying Cowboys, the big difference is the Flying Cowboys are not experimenting with the unknown. Irrespective of the care the Wright brothers took what they were involved in was exponentially more dangerous. :D

I'm struggling to see any comparison between Cory Robin taking his Carbon Cub to the back country and the Wright brothers 'discovering' flight. Not a good analogy. :D
Bobcro, thank you for your summary. I am a very low hours student and the points you make are so important.

I did ask a very experienced pilot how she avoided complacency and she said she treated every pre- flight and airborne action as critical, every time she flew. Not stressing about it, just being very organised, spending time on thoughtful planning and an alternative, and following every checklist without fail, no assumptions. She said it was all part of the flying experience she loved, and indeed something to be proud of, taking a 'professional' attitude to a hobby we are priviledged to take part in.
Dave W, lobstaboy liked this