Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
It's good of him to post this and talk about it.

It seems to me, the main issue was messing around with a fuel system (not totally familiar to him) at low level. Also making a short hop from startup.

I don't like to take off and immediately go over water, If I'm going in to land somewhere interesting I usually have been flying for a bit and don't touch the fuel valve or hopefully anything out of the usual landing requirements. It's always worth thinking about what can go wrong though.
That doesn't mean one shouldn't go flying into interesting places.
Bobcro liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
proteus wrote:I don't like to take off and immediately go over water...

Interesting, does that mean you don't like it, or you won't do it? :wink:

For example would you avoid the likes of Glenforsa, Oban, Plockton, Skye, Dundee, Lundy…?

I'm very fond of Glenforsa, Bute, etc, but I certainly think more about the departures. I'm not so bothered going in as I've usually been in the air for some time before heading over the water and I do tend to think with engine issues the start up and initial power climb is where I'm more concerned. If everything's been running nicely for a while I feel much better particularly as my fuel valve is only on/off and I have sight tubes in the wing and the fuel computer is pretty accurate.

I try to make my own decision on my comfort level with each landing site and that slightly dictates what steps I take.

For instance, generally if I land on a beach by myself I'll generally keep the motor running. If I was to stop it and get out I will not switch the fuel valve off. If I have stopped when I take off I'll get to a reasonable height, and usually be heading towards somewhere with better landing options for a few minutes to make sure everything is still happy.
@proteus so it doesn't stop you going, you are just more mindful. Many thanks. :thumright:
It's interesting, because there are some where landing in the water is probably unavoidable, maybe Dundee, or Dornoch depending on when it quits, others where there's a choice, maybe Dornoch again and then there's those where the better option is the water, maybe Skye.

None of which is relevant to what Cory was doing. :D
Miscellaneous wrote:I think I'm beginning to understand the reluctance to fess up to numptiness this side of the pond. :D

I think I'm going to disagree with you there Misc. In my, admittedly very limited, experience flyers on this side of the pond are extremely willing to admit to their errors of judgement, decision making, attentiveness, getting distracted etc. They maybe don't post YouTube videos, but perhaps didn't have GoPro's all over the airframe either to record the event, but the sheer mortification one feels when one bends the plane is overwhelming and the only person one can kick in the bum is oneself. But being honest about one's stupidity feels like a kind of penitence.

Aside from his critical mismanagement of the fuel system Cory was very lucky that most of the energy was dissipated by the water on the Tundra tyres, that the engine stopped with the prop horizontal so that when it did go quite gently on to its nose the spinner was the only item dented...aside from his pride, of course, which will have taken the biggest dent by far.
I just read in the comment section from one of the other flying cowboys on youtube that there is more to this story, but for some reason they aren't talking about it, and apparently Cory is no longer in the flying cowboys group. :shock:

Kevin did you here about...Cory taking a noise over dive in the water with his plane....l think he called it giving his plane a bath....l sure do like the 360 camera deal....Thanks for the slow flying....Outstanding.....Fly safe my friend.....Lead solo steve 79....!

Hide 2 replies
Kevin Quinn - Flying Cowboy - Stol Pilot
Kevin Quinn - Flying Cowboy - Stol Pilot
14 hours ago
Thanks for the comment. I'm not really interested in Talking about the nose over deal. There is so much more to the story. He's no longer a Flying Cowboy I can tell you that much

steve shoemaker
steve shoemaker
14 hours ago
@Kevin Quinn - Flying Cowboy - Stol Pilot l understand...l kinda suspected that anyway cause l have a friend....End of story Thanks
lobstaboy wrote:Two thoughts:
YouTube is full of videos of people doing really stupid things and, mostly, getting away with it. This is no different. We shouldn't invest any more significance in it, or the attitudes of the people involved, just because it's flying and we like flying.
The most important thing is not whether they appear up front and humble about their mistakes, although that is important because of the influence on people who might be thinking of trying something similar; no, what's most important is whether they learn the lesson themselves and don't do it again.

AIUI YouTube doesn’t let you share fatal accidents. So it looks like people always get away with it. :(
Lockhaven wrote:I just read in the comment section from one of the other flying cowboys on youtube that there is more to this story, but for some reason they aren't talking about it, and apparently Cory is no longer in the flying cowboys group. :shock:

Well that gets the noggin jogging. I'd be very curious to know if it just related to that incident or it was a cumulation of other things.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Jim Jones wrote:AIUI YouTube doesn’t let you share fatal accidents. So it looks like people always get away with it.

Any "plane crash/disaster" search on YouTube will reveal plenty of evidence to the contrary unfortunately... and this often sometimes extends to other less obvious topics involving aviation.

Regards, SD..
mick w wrote:All he did wrong , was to miss something from his Checklist ,I have taken off on one Mag , with Carb Heat hot ,Pitot Cover on , with wrong Tank selected , Harness not fastened , SD not switched on . :lol: Nobody else admit to stuff . :o :?

Must have been a pretty interesting flight, to make all those mistakes and get away with it.... :D :D :D :D :D
mick w liked this
Full Metal Jackass wrote:
mick w wrote:All he did wrong , was to miss something from his Checklist ,I have taken off on one Mag , with Carb Heat hot ,Pitot Cover on , with wrong Tank selected , Harness not fastened , SD not switched on . :lol: Nobody else admit to stuff . :o :?

Must have been a pretty interesting flight, to make all those mistakes and get away with it.... :D :D :D :D :D

:lol: :thumright:
Hopefully that was on different flights.... [edit]Ah FMJ made this point already, :hangs head in shame:[/edit]
mick w liked this
CloudHound wrote:Jonas Marcinko came close last week too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wricYvcp88

It's gonna end bad for someone one day. :(

Seems Jonas has had a few negative comments, he tries to address them in the first couple of minutes of his latest video. Shame about the following minute or so. :lol:

Let them be say I. Let the boys have fun. :thumright: :D