For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
Rob P wrote:I wondered about why you would want to control something as basic as that through a touchscreen.

To be fair, a quick tap on the end of the LH stalk makes the wipers wipe (longer press = squirter & longer wiper activity). If I have ever felt the windscreen wasn't being kept clear enough a couple of taps & all is well.

In 363 days of ownership I have _never_ needed to go in to the touchscreen for the wipers.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Perhaps the designers decided that, like some other buried settings, it isn't one that would normally be touched by a driver when driving. I suspect there are lots of other things like that? Perhaps they need bigger warning signs to keep them legal.

If the car is un-roadworthy then sueing the manufacturer is probably possible. However I suggest that changing the speed of the automatic wipers wouldn't be considered a road worthiness issue.
By Miscellaneous
riverrock wrote:...it isn't one that would normally be touched by a driver when driving.

Of course it is, it will only be touched when driving. Why and when other than when driving would you touch it? :? I constantly changed mine today on the way back from the airfield.

BTW, should we be calling you Dad yet? :D
By riverrock
Miscellaneous wrote:BTW, should we be calling you Dad yet? :D

Lol - not yet! First one is normally late anyway (at least - that's what they tell people to set expectations - due date is still 12 days off)

I also change the wiper sensitivity setting, and so varying the speed, for the rain sensor from time to time on both my cars - I've never bothered to work out how they work, but I assume that it behaves differently depending on how clean the window is.
By Miscellaneous
riverrock wrote:Lol - not yet! First one is normally late anyway (at least - that's what they tell people to set expectations - due date is still 12 days off)

Exciting times! :D :thumright:

Have you advertised your aeroplane shares yet? :wink:
By riverrock
When meeting the parents in law - the shares allow me and father-in-law to go flying, while my wife and mother-in-law can talk baby. Everyone wins.
Miscellaneous liked this
By malcolmfrost
Miscellaneous wrote:
riverrock wrote:...it isn't one that would normally be touched by a driver when driving.

Of course it is, it will only be touched when driving. Why and when other than when driving would you touch it? :? I constantly changed mine today on the way back from the airfield.

BTW, should we be calling you Dad yet? :D

Normally the wipers are in Auto with the car cameras deciding on the speed. If you need an extra wipe a tap on the LH stalk does a wipe and also brings up the wiper speed control so you can change the speed. You don’t need to delve in any menus. The extra tap also trains the wipers and tells them you judge that you need a faster speed.
By Miscellaneous
@malcolmfrost I'm not sure what you're saying? Are you suggesting the German driver should learn to RTFM? :D
By Miscellaneous
@Colonel Panic problem identified. If the manual is to be read it's when sitting in the armchair with a coffee relaxing as you browse. Expecting males to read the manual at all is asking a lot, to necessitate them having to do so while sitting in the car. Never going to happen. :D
Colonel Panic liked this
By stevelup
Colonel Panic wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:Are you suggesting the German driver should learn to RTFM? :D

If he does, I hope he does it whilst stationary as the only manual is on the screen :D

Nah, there's a really nice PDF which can be read offline. I read it from cover to cover before doing my test drive because nerd.
Colonel Panic liked this
By kanga
Miscellaneous wrote:... Expecting males to read the manual at all is asking a lot, to necessitate them having to do so while sitting in the car. Never going to happen. :D

ATA pilots of both sexes reportedly read the relevant Ferry Pilot's Notes page of a Type new to them only when sitting in the cockpit .. :)