Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
CloudHound wrote:Jonas Marcinko came close last week too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wricYvcp88

It's gonna end bad for someone one day. :(

I watched that video of Jonas last week and was shouting at the screen when his girl friend walked towards the prop after the exhaust pipe dropped off.

Unfortunately with some of the antics Jonas gets up to he is definitely going to end up in a smoking hole somewhere.
Miscellaneous liked this
Lockhaven wrote:Cory hit the nail on the head during his description of what led to the event.

IMO there are a few lesson to be learned, there's the message of the video, don't get out of your routine and that strikes home to me. Thanks Cory. :thumright:

However, I think there is an underlying message which would serve us Brits well (you too Frank :wink: ). And that is how humble these guys are. The Americans are not afraid, indeed they're willing, to put their hands up and say, 'heh I'm human, I can **** up'. That, IMO, is a big lesson we would do well to learn from on this side of the pond. Get rid of the airs and graces and skygodiness. It serves no tangible purpose. :D
aligee, Lockhaven, townleyc and 6 others liked this
No, sorry, I don't agree.
Take responsibility for what happened, that's fine.
Go 'hot dogging' near the limit of the flight envelope , you have to accept the result. If it works out, you got away with it, but that's not a confirmation that it was a good idea, it's an invitation to do something stupid again, and you haven't learned that it was a dumb idea in the first place.
It's entertaining Youtube, but it's (IMO) a stupid way to plan to fly.
If these guys want to do it, OK, but I don't want to watch. It's not clever, I don't like it.
If you disagree, carry on, but please don't diss me for finding this to be dangerously offensive
@neilmurg you are totally missing my point. The type of flying they do is not relevant. Their willingness to admit they got it wrong is independent of the type of flying. Think Patey in Draco, he called it wrong taking off and did a similar post incident video. They don't run and hide, make excuses and bury their heads in the sand.

The type of flying they do is an entirely different conversation. However in bringing it up I think you are demonstrating exactly the difference in attitude I refer to on this side of the pond. You don't want anyone to judge you for not liking this type of flying yet you feel quite at liberty to judge the choice of others as dumb, stupid and offensive.

Some double standards going on there me thinks. :wink:

I'm not likely to participate in that sort of flying but I don't think I have any right to criticise those who do. The risk is theirs. The limit of my comment is 'it's not for me'.
mick w, Lockhaven, Ben K and 1 others liked this
Two thoughts:
YouTube is full of videos of people doing really stupid things and, mostly, getting away with it. This is no different. We shouldn't invest any more significance in it, or the attitudes of the people involved, just because it's flying and we like flying.
The most important thing is not whether they appear up front and humble about their mistakes, although that is important because of the influence on people who might be thinking of trying something similar; no, what's most important is whether they learn the lesson themselves and don't do it again.
Miscellaneous wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:...what's most important is whether they learn the lesson themselves and don't do it again.

So what's the lesson Cory should learn? :D

Good question. I don't know. I wasn't there, I don't know enough about his attitude to risk and risk management, and I don't know what really happened (the video is his interpretation).
Only Cory can learn the lesson, because it's his to learn. I do accept that the process of making the video after the event should help him with that (and clearly he hopes that's the case).
lobstaboy wrote:The most important thing is not whether they appear up front and humble about their mistakes, although that is important because of the influence on people who might be thinking of trying something similar; no, what's most important is whether they learn the lesson themselves and don't do it again.

I wasn't ranking anything in order of importance. I was merely saying, that IMO, being humble and accepting we are human, can be wrong and make mistake, indeed, that we all have lessons to be learnt, is rather refreshing and that we, on this side of the pond, could do well to learn from it. :wink:
Each one of us will have their opinion as to the wisdom of the type of flying they do, I watch the videos to see if I can learn something that will make me a better pilot.

I don’t video flights I still do take pictures out of the DV window but only from a decent altitude and only if I feel that I am comfortable in doing so.

What I did learn was that it doesn’t matter how many hours you have or the number of flights you’ve made it is the flight now that can kill or injure you.

I found it to be a very valuable lesson for all of us and particularly me.

Don’t rush, use a checklist and mental ones have worked for me for years.

My final check before taking off has always been “What am I going to do in the next 10 minutes”? and if that is not 100% clear or if I have any doubts whatsoever or any distractions then stop, I rewind my mind and start again from the last known point.

I now only fly one aircraft and mainly by myself and therefore I will prepare my own printed checklist that will start at the planning stage and end when I get safely home.
T6Harvard liked this