Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On a good day, you can spot CBs very clearly from miles away. While most typical GA won't be able to out climb their tops, one can definitely fly faster laterally away from them ,so those beastly things won't "catch up with you" in that sense.
By Marvin
Stampe wrote:So sad that the CAA and NATS have actively worked together to create a climate of fear where the safety of GA is jeopardised !

Got caught in bad weather once and no radar unit close by with LARS. Called D&D and was cleared into controlled airspace and then Radar vectors out of it to a safe Airfield. All legitimate and everyone safe. Pays to ask.

@James Chan I wouldn’t count on out running a heavy storm they can move faster than you think.
lobstaboy wrote:I'd say that he or she probably decided to cancel and now fears ridicule from the Skygods on here.
Which is a shame if true - I mean the fear of ridicule, not the decision.

Frankly, @lobstaboy that is not going happen. The fact you suggest it leaves me flummoxed. :? How do you view your fellow forumites? :? We all have disagreements, however ridiculing someone for deciding not to fly...

Can you point me in the direction of one occasion where forumites ridiculed a pilot for deciding not to fly due weather forecast? :?

I'll put my hand up for ridicule today, I decided not to fly from the west coast to Perth due forecast, @Iceman made it from Blackbushe. Good on him. :thumright:
kanga, JAFO liked this
By lobstaboy
Miscellaneous wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:I'd say that he or she probably decided to cancel and now fears ridicule from the Skygods on here.
Which is a shame if true - I mean the fear of ridicule, not the decision.

Frankly, @lobstaboy that is not going happen. The fact you suggest it leaves me flummoxed. :? How do you view your fellow forumites? :? We all have disagreements, however ridiculing someone for deciding not to fly...

Can you point me in the direction of one occasion where forumites ridiculed a pilot for deciding not to fly due weather forecast? :?

I'll put my hand up for ridicule today, I decided not to fly from the west coast to Perth due forecast, @Iceman made it from Blackbushe. Good on him. :thumright:

Come on Misc! Read what I wrote. I said fear of ridicule. Absolutely groundless fear as you rightly point out, which is why i said it would be a shame. Indeed there's a good lesson here - even with the best the MetOffice can do it's not always possible to get the weather right. And it's better to get it wrong in the right way, rather than the wrong way.
Didn't the USAF use to say, "there's no call to fly in a thunderstorm in peacetime?"
Miscellaneous liked this
By TheFarmer
How did we make him feel he might be ridiculed? We gave him our opinions and that’s what he asked for. We were helpful and encouraging. :?

He certainly didn’t come across as a ‘Snowflakius Aviatorius’ type.
By robert79
I flew to Bembridge from Suffolk yesterday with my 6 year old son. Was mindful of the possibility of CBs, but on a blue day reasoned they'd be easy to avoid.
Didn't see any, but coming home there was an interesting meteorological effect. Shortly after crossing the coast near Brighton, we flew through some light virga. A few seconds later the cool air coming through the vents suddenly turned very warm and moist. Stayed like that all the way home. I've never experienced anything as pronounced as that. Could certainly understand the potential for thunderstorms to develop.

It wasn't terrifically got on the IoW yesterday, high 20s maybe, definitely nowhere near the mid 30s. Just as well as I ended up carrying backpack and son for about 2 miles! :lol:
By ChrisRowland
Could the sudden change in air mass be a sea breeze front? The cooler sea air pushing in under the hotter moister land air. It can form a line with a distinct line of lift and cloud hanging down.
By A le Ron
Yes, there was some convective weather yesterday, but with a combination of live weather apps and cautious choice of route and level, we managed to get back ok from Avignon to Sherburn. So don’t cancel for a prob 30. Go take a look and plan flexibly.
JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Lefty
Miscellaneous wrote:@Iceman made it from Blackbushe. Good on him. :thumright:

I made it to Perth yesterday from White Waltham and didn’t even know there was a fly in. Didn’t see @Iceman - but then I was only on the ground for 10 minutes (14.30 - 14.40)
Miscellaneous liked this
By Iceman
I obviously just keep missing people, @Lefty yesterday at Perth, JollyRog today at Lundy (although I did in fact spot JollyRog as he was departing). Why were you at Perth for such a short time @Lefty ?

Some Pictures from Perth yesterday.

I like the Scots’ sense of humour :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
By robert79
ChrisRowland wrote:Could the sudden change in air mass be a sea breeze front? The cooler sea air pushing in under the hotter moister land air. It can form a line with a distinct line of lift and cloud hanging down.

Yes I thought it must be something like that. Initially I thought little fingers were playing with the heater controls (it was that sudden and pronounced), but I looked across and he was sat enjoying the view, hands in lap.