For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Trent772
Flyingfemme wrote:Get it when you're already old and wrinkly!

Steady now, my surgeon did very good work I will have you know :wink:
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
So on Saturday, at 1200, at House of Hoodoo in Harrogate, it will be inked !

I used to rent a garage in Harrogate to store my motorcycle. A member of said tattoo parlour also rented an adjacent garage in the same block to store his own Harley Davidson.

Chatting to him one day, he asked whether I might like to join his motorcycle club and invited me to the tattoo premises where the club convened on a Saturday.

I duly wondered along on the appointed day, and observed from a distance, a gang of long haired, pony tailed variously bearded, beer gutted, old men dressed from head to toe in black, every square centimetre of exposed skin duly decorated in images of horror, and all loitering around the front door.
A scarier looking group of individuals would be difficult to imagine.

I sauntered off as innocently and inconspicuously as possible.

Trent is pretty rough looking already. I trust he goes whole hog and completes the image in due course, together with an appropriate photograph. :wink:
Trent772 liked this
By Trent772
flybymike wrote:

Trent is pretty rough looking already. I trust he goes whole hog and completes the image in due course, together with an appropriate photograph. :wink:

I resemble that comment !
flybymike liked this
By Bill McCarthy
This reminds me of why you should be sober when having a tattoo done. One of the crew went into a tattoo parlour in Hong Kong, wherein was a Brit pongo ( soldier) asking for a tattoo of a thistle with Scotland the brave under it.
Me not know fistle said the Chinese tattoo artist.
Gees a pencil and I’ll draw it te ye says the pongo.
Ah yes, me know fistle said the tattooist.
The pongo came out of the parlour , sure enough, with the motto Scotland the brave spelled correctly but above it - a lovely pineapple !
JAFO liked this
By Leodisflyer
Interesting re wrinkles. Many my age will remember tattoos as being something that people many years older had done in the war and then turned wrinkly. They look great when fresh, and you see some great art, but I can’t get the old versions out of my mind. Borstal dots were also a big thing. Haven’t seen those for years. Don’t know whether people managed to get them removed or whether I’m just not mixing with the same people these days.

@Trent772 I know another person, not too far from Harrogate, who refers to “the current Mrs X”, I would have asked whether we know each other if he were a flyer.
By kanga
Rob L wrote:
Morten wrote:Milou

"Snowy" in the English version, to my recollection (I always preferred the originals).

Having known Tintin (and Asterix) only in French in childhood, I have sometimes been flummoxed by the use of the English names. But my children has Asterix mostly in English (although some in French, and one in German also), so I got more used to those.

[one of my more perverse hobbies is collecting Beatrix Potter in local languages on my travels. It started with a 'Peter Rabbit' in Welsh. I think my rarest, which I suspect had a short print run, is a 'Tailor of Gloucester' in Basque :) I do not recall seeing anyone sporting a tattoo of any BP characters, though; happy to be enlightened ]

</drift>
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:
Rob L wrote:
Morten wrote:Milou

"Snowy" in the English version, to my recollection (I always preferred the originals).

Having known Tintin (and Asterix) only in French in childhood,l.

</drift>

I learned most of my colloquial French in childhood in France from Asterix , Tintin and a host of other strip comics like Bibi Fricotin, and French translations of American stuff : Journal de Mickey and Loony Tunes Bugs bunny stuff.

Stood me in good stead ever since, especially after 'un coup de rouge' ('hit' FAOD)

Peter
kanga liked this
By Trent772
Took 2 years and input from the current Mrs T as what she was a Graphic Designer type for 40 odd years.

Very pleased.

Thanks for the input, comments and banter...... :thumleft: :thumleft: