For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The author has clearly decided to avoid attracting the ire that JK Rowling got for her "didn't there used to be a word for that comment?".
By johnm
Some of this is the side effects of the abuse of social media by pressure groups and the like. It's a serious and growing social problem and it spills across into similarly serious implications for democratic systems of government.

There is no effective advice around on how to deal with this stuff and little in the way of practical sanctions as might be the case if someone was abused, libelled or slandered in more historically conventional ways. Neither platform owners nor legal systems have much effect as yet, though Twitter has started to ban some of the more outrageous purveyors of abuse, how effective that might be we don't yet know.

The issues around misinformation impacting democratic processes is also being widely debated with similar difficulties in controlling it and its impact.
By johnm
Propwash wrote:I think I prefer this simple explanation:

stevelup wrote:I really do think the world has -actually- gone mad...

PW

Well it hasn't.

Parts of it have and they're rather more visible and vocal than they used to be and possibly more influential :D
By riverrock
The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Bill that is being discussed at the moment would make it a criminal offence to do or say something that is "likely to offend", with "fact" not a defence and you don't actually have to offend anyone.
Its being widely criticised by a wide range of groups such as the Scottish Police Federation, Catholic Bishops and the National Secular Society, but is currently still being pushed through.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/bew ... crime-bill
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/0 ... rime-bill/
(many others).

It is currently the way that society is leaning and I don't like it!
How can we make a society which is tolerant of others, while not going mad? Where should lines be drawn?
flybymike, AlanC liked this
By johnm
It is currently the way that society is leaning and I don't like it!
How can we make a society which is tolerant of others, while not going mad? Where should lines be drawn?

It's a very good question and it's about the balance of rights and responsibilities and some of us think that rights are outweighing responsibilities. Part of that is the vicious intolerance shown by some and the backlash that generates, so maybe we're addressing the right problem, but in the wrong way...... Not uncommon because we don't seem to take the time to think things through properly:

A late boss of mine used to say "Ready, fire, aim!" and we see quite a lot of that these days I fear.
By Melanie Moxon
If people want to have a sensible discussion around the transgender topic and what it is really like outside of the screaming activists I am happy to do so, I am also happy to share my story to date of transitioning from my birth gender to the gender I should be, if anybody is interested of course.

I'm happy if it stays civil and I am sure the mods will swat the thread like a bug if it doesn't :wink:
nallen, G-BLEW, AlanC and 2 others liked this
By stevelup
Just to be clear by the way, I have absolutely no issue at all with transgender folks. A good friend of mine has transitioned.

What I'm having a little whinge about are indeed the 'screaming activists', who despite making a -lot- of noise at the moment, I'm sure don't represent the majority.