Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Dear All,

First post, but have been a lurker for years..

In short, got PPL/A in 1989, no additional ratings. Still have the paper licence and not flown in the U.K. since 1991 or so...
Had a foreign CPL/IR (elapsed) and last flew in 1997. 2200 TT.

Looking to get back to flying privately but in complex or turboprop.

First question: Is it wise? (Wrong side of 50) but no major medical issues.

Second: Is it safe or would you recommend a full time safety pilot? Wishing to fly with family, friends etc

Three: Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any advice......
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Wrong side of 50? Don't worry, when you get to 50 you will notice it is quite a good age, let alone if you get older.

Why would you want to fly with a safety pilot?

Get decent training and fly a jalopy that comes within your competence and the world is your oyster. Few people get to 2200 hours and don't know what flying is all about.

Welcome back to the fold!
g21agoose liked this
By johnm
If it gives you a clue I got a PPL aged 52, IR aged 62 and I'm approaching my next reval aged 73 I fly a complex SEP and have around 1400 hours
g21agoose liked this
By Rjk983
Here's another data point for you...

I learnt to fly in the early 90s, I last flew in Aug 1996. TT then was approx 122hours, no civ licence as it had all been courtesy of HM.

I meant to get back into it over the years but life kept getting in the way. however I was finally spurred into action at the start of 2018.

I went to a localish flying school, explained the situation and what I wanted to do with my flying. they took me up on a 1hr check flight to see what I could remember. The instr was great, he got me taxiing out, was clearly confident enough to let me carry out the take off. we then went off and did some basic exercises then some stalls a spiral and a PFL. then back to the club for tea and medals.

I flew the entire trip and after a few minutes in the air it was like I had last flown the week before (but with quite a lot of helpful encouragement from the RHS).

It took me a further 7 hours to complete everything that I needed to do including the the Nav test, solo xcountry and GHT. most of that time was more getting my head into the entirely alien procedures and the changes to RT. It was a bit odd to me that after a bit less than 5 hours dual including the nav test, the CFI launched me off solo to do the qualifying x country, it was my first solo in almost 22 years so it was nice to do something meaningful with it!

I suppose my main point is that you have ten times the experience I had when I stopped flying so I would expect your biggest hurdle would be like mine - that of learning the new procedural stuff and new RT lexicon, and it isn't that difficult. The rudder and stick flying will no doubt be the easy part.

good luck.
g21agoose liked this
Thank you, one and all, for your insightful advice.

It is nice to hear that there are still guys who venture out having spent a long time on the ground.

If I’m honest, apart from the nav/technology changes, I suppose the biggest thing for me is/was fear.

I shall give it a go and thank you all for your kind responses and for taking the time.
mick w, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Cottie
I stopped in 2000, restarted in 2017, around 240TT when I restarted.

Five hours including the proficiency check to get the licence back.

Took a few more hours to really feel like I was back on top of things though.