Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
I just have to highlight the brilliant service from this outfit.

The aircraft developed a slight, but distinct misfire, not the ideal soundtrack for the Channel / Thames Estuary flight back home.

My very able interpreter explained the issue to Christophe, the top man, and he looked very non-committal. "Not today, tomorrow peut-être"

In fact "demain" became a reality :D

If you know Van's cowling fitment you will appreciate how sceptical I was that they would ever manage to put the aeroplane back together again. But they did, perfectly.

The blown manifold gasket was replaced, the aircraft flew back faultlessly, the bill was just a gnat's over two hundred quid, which I didn't feel was unreasonable.

We have an outstanding job that is beyond our capability. We are seriously wondering if a short break in Le Touquet is an option whilst they work on it.

The Technicians ^^^^^^^

http://www.air-maintenance-fr.com/

Rob P
Dave W, Ibra, Iceman and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
It was indeed.

Having only got back last night there is much to be organised, but I will do a trip report later, with images.

I shall also do a 'Hidden Le Touquet' post as, roaming loose for three days on my trusty rentabike, I was able to visit some bits that have eluded me in thirty years of Le Touquet visits.

Rob P
Dave W, cjrpaterson liked this
By gasman
Another “like” for Air Maintenance.
They repaired a broken carb heat cable for me over lunchtime (!) and charged me €20 for cash.
Unfortunately its not practical to use them for my annual as I’m based in Yorkshire (although if my maintenance organisation continue to squeeze me I may move south )
:lol:
flybymike liked this
By Rob L
Rob P wrote:...The blown manifold gasket was replaced...
Rob P

Intake or exhaust? And which port?
Not to detract from your reporting :thumright: , but the devil is in the detail!
By Rob P
@Rob L

#4.

I honestly have no idea if this is inlet or exhaust though from the nature of the misfire I'd suspect inlet.

Rob P
By IainD
Rob P wrote:It was indeed.

Having only got back last night there is much to be organised, but I will do a trip report later, with images.

I shall also do a 'Hidden Le Touquet' post as, roaming loose for three days on my trusty rentabike, I was able to visit some bits that have eluded me in thirty years of Le Touquet visits.

Rob P

Did you arrive home about 8pm last night as a dark Vans passed overhead as we sipped gin in the garden?
Iain
By Rob P
IainD wrote:Did you arrive home about 8pm last night as a dark Vans passed overhead as we sipped gin in the garden?
Iain

No, 6pm Thursday, after the runway working party had finished. For the flight back I just knew there would be twenty or thirty pilots out on the field watching the landing, so no pressure.

In fact they were all back at the clubhouse and only Sandra was watching. For a change the aircraft is reusable.

Rob P
IainD, skydriller liked this
Rob L wrote:Indeed it's the inlet, this would have led to very lean running on that cylinder.

Agreed.

I would suggest if not already done, to change the remaining three as they are likely the same age as the original. Inlet leaks are a common problem on Lycomings and it is a shame to risk spoiling your day for the sake of gaskets costing pennies.
Rob P, Rob L, 2Donkeys liked this