Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By neilmurg
I'm installing a Pilotaware GRID ATOM aeroplane detector at my house. It's testing in the back garden before being installed on the roof. It's interesting what it can see (and send to the Pilotaware), Blackbushe circuit traffic f'rinstance, from Esher. I've limited the display to 5000 feet. Lasham is busy.

There's a network of 200 of these things across the country. It also gathers Metars for the Pilotaware users in flight, they're colour coded Green, Blue, Red. I've put it in because of the gap in ground stations between (I think) Redhill and Blackbushe and when I asked, Fairoaks didn't seem interested.
exfirepro, rohmer liked this
By exfirepro
HI Neil,

For those who don’t yet know, the forthcoming PilotAware software release will allow display of the METARs table when in range of any ATOM GRID Ground Station by connecting via phone or tablet to the PAW Metar Page and automatically displays the nearest QNH at top-right when you are using the PAW Radar Screen - as well as uplinked Flarm and Mode-S 3D MLAT Traffic of course.

Best Regards

Peter
(PilotAware Development Team)
rohmer, kanga liked this
By neilmurg
AFAIK the OGNRs (Open Glider Network (?)Rebroadcast(?)) are being upgraded to GRID ATOM and they've gotten smarter and have additional functionality.
Now that I look at my documents, the name is ATOM-GRID Air Traffic Observation Domain and Management - Ground Relay Infrastructure Domain.
It says here ATOM is the ground station and GRID is the network. The stations are all linked together.
Ok, thanks for that explanation.
So as I understand from what you are saying the PAW ATOM Grid network is an upgrading and posh name rebranding of the OGNR network, in reality though they are one and the same thing and not a separate network.
Just trying to understand things.... :D
neilmurg liked this
By neilmurg
You get some of the bits for free, the rest costs about £250, unless you got some left over from making PAws or general messing with electronics kits. It's generally done for minimal / cost, especially at flying sites. Then you need to put the aerials in a good position, the higher the better with an uninterrupted view of the horizon. The FLARM one is 5 feet long (1.5m) (because FLARM signals are weak), the other two are around 2-3 feet (0.7 - 1m),
Power consumption is minimal and it needs access to your router for internet, hard wired is preferred.

There's good documentation and in my case the software setup was already done. I ran through the setup without any trouble referencing the documentation.
By chevvron
neilmurg wrote:There's a network of 200 of these things across the country. It also gathers Metars for the Pilotaware users in flight, they're colour coded Green, Blue, Red. I've put it in because of the gap in ground stations between (I think) Redhill and Blackbushe and when I asked, Fairoaks didn't seem interested.

Fairoaks doesn't have an AWS (apart from the unofficial one operated by LTFC accessible on www.ltfc.org.uk/webcams.html) whereas the AWS at both the other airfields is operated by the aerodrome authority.
You mention colour codes for weather; do these comply with the long established RAF 'colour state' system; it would be great if they did.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
By chevvron
townleyc wrote:Out of interest, what is involved in setting up and running one of these?
and what does it cost?

KE

Had a superb CAA compliant weather station made by Vaisala installed at Dunsfold in early 2012; don't know if it's still operating; the rental was something like £5K pa.
By leemoore1966
chevvron wrote:You mention colour codes for weather; do these comply with the long established RAF 'colour state' system; it would be great if they did.

Hi chevvron
The color schema we use is derived from the following definition

https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/help?page=plot

Search down for ‘Flight category definitions’

The graphical on-screen barbs follow the same schema

Thx
Lee
By chevvron
leemoore1966 wrote:
chevvron wrote:You mention colour codes for weather; do these comply with the long established RAF 'colour state' system; it would be great if they did.

Hi chevvron
The color schema we use is derived from the following definition

https://www.aviationweather.gov/metar/help?page=plot

Search down for ‘Flight category definitions’

The graphical on-screen barbs follow the same schema

Thx
Lee

That's going to cause a lot of confusion in the UK because, as I said, the military heree already use a 'colour state' system of their own with 'Blue' as the 'best' weather instead of 'Green'.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/services/tr ... ulated/faq gives the complete list for the UK, your list being specific to the USA only with visibilities in statute miles rather than m or Km. which is the standard used in Europe.
Last edited by chevvron on Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My ground station covers part of Redhill to Blackbushe, the bit east of Guildford and north of the downs. Unfortunately due to wifi configurations being overwritten during an update, it's not currently on air, and is unlikely to be back while I'm stuck in Wales looking after my dad, unless I can get back to Guildford at some point.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@chevvron

We are not the military or a derivative thereof, and just because the military use something that does not make it fabulous.

Respect to the people in blue for what they do but some of their practises are not suitable for civilian flying.

Their colour codes are very different and not quite logic.
Their use of QFE might be good for them as they have bang seats that use QFE but for civilian use the QNH is better and their insistance on using the RPS a recipe for infringements.
seanxair, Dusty_B liked this