For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I am not as fastidious as you and not quite brave enough to shred it all.

I want to make that leap, but I can't quite bring myself to do it. I keep trying, but I still can't get beyond the need to collect paper. :?

On shredding, our wonderful local authority insist that shredded paper goes in the "none recyclable - everything gets burned" bin.
By avtur3
Colonel Panic wrote:I only shred*** paperwork that shows my name &/or address. Everything else goes straight in to the paper wheelie bin.

*** Actually, I bonfire it - much more satisfying even if it is not very green.

That's the workaround we adopted when we discovered shredded paper was not accepted for recycling. :thumleft:
Colonel Panic liked this
By PeteSpencer
avtur3 wrote:That's the workaround we adopted when we discovered shredded paper was not accepted for recycling. :thumleft:

When I enquired of our local council the reason for this I was told that the shredded paper gets wet and clogs up the machinery/conveyors etc and takes for ever to clear as it sets solid in the mechanisms.

Peter
:wink:
By avtur3
Colonel Panic wrote:I went "paperless" in my (home) office several years ago,, and it has been a fabulous experience. Pretty much everything from low value receipts to portfolio valuations goes through the Fujitsu ScanSnap upon arrival, and the originals destroyed a few days later when I am confident that my iMac has been backed up. Everything then gets transferred to DropBox.

Having access to everything when either on a phone call in my office, or away in a meeting with my laptop is hugely empowering.

This has got me thinking, a bit of research brings up various comments about the software with Brother, Epson, and Snapscan. I take it you have no issues with the Snapscan software?

How is the document handling on thinner items like supermarket till receipts?

I'm looking at the S1300i
The ScanSnap software is "OK", but they did come in for a lot of grief when they stopped updating software on some of their older machines with the later versions of macOS. I'm now on my 2nd machine because of this. Grrrr.

They are fabulously fast, and are pretty good at working out whether the reverse is blank or not. Should be fine with till receipts - small bits of paper can miss the "paper present" sensor, but you soon get used to placing the paper in the right place.

Pop over any time and I can show you both an iX500 & the software in action.
Flyin'Dutch', avtur3 liked this
By PeteSpencer
PeteSpencer wrote:For reliable brand I go for HP My HP office jet ) fax/flatbed/slot/scanner/printer (inkjet) is 23 years old and still going strong , Also prints directly from various data cards . Obvs not wireless but I imagine its modern equivalent would be equally reliable.

I always use manufacturer’s cartridges never a malfunction.

Should have kept my gob shut: Scanner has just packed up and I can only print via a workaround....

So I'm in the market now:
Does anybody send Faxes any more?
Or print direct from datacards shoved into slots on printer?

Peter
By avtur3
PeteSpencer wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:For reliable brand I go for HP My HP office jet ) fax/flatbed/slot/scanner/printer (inkjet) is 23 years old and still going strong , Also prints directly from various data cards . Obvs not wireless but I imagine its modern equivalent would be equally reliable.

I always use manufacturer’s cartridges never a malfunction.

Should have kept my gob shut: Scanner has just packed up and I can only print via a workaround....

So I'm in the market now:
Does anybody send Faxes any more?
Or print direct from datacards shoved into slots on printer?

Peter

What's a fax ? ... (asking for a friend)
By riverrock
Fax? You used to be able to do them through PC modems, but PCs no longer come with modems. I remember having fun in South Africa trying to fax a form to British Gas (can't remember why) as they wouldn't accept email. That was 12 years ago and the last time I sent one.
I think the all-in-one I have can do faxes but I don't really know as I've never plugged in a phone line. Last year our airport agreed to send emails of updates to the flying club instead of faxes. Perhaps only the NHS uses them now...
By seanxair
HP Laserjet Pro MFP M479fdw arrived lunchtime today. Most pain free set up of a device I've ever had though it did take an hour just about.

Now on our home network printing and scanning from two pcs and third to be added shortly. Also have it printing from my phone (android).

So far so good. Supplied by Printerland
avtur3, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
avtur3 wrote:..

What's a fax ? ... ..

a recent innovation which brilliantly replaced TELEX (except for AFTN, ..) :)

[when we went to Canada in '87, I noticed a story in the business pages of the Ottawa Citizen that the all-Canada Fax directory now had more entries than the all-Canada TELEX directory. Shortly before we left in '90, I noticed one saying that the TELEX directory would not be published again ]