For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The A9 average speed cameras have been effective in reducing speeding but it makes me say naughty words when the dipstick who has just overtaken me at well over 60mph then brakes to 55mph for the camera.
Even folks doing a steady 60 brake when they see the yellow boxes.

Aw well, I'll be 'enjoying' the A9 going south in a few weeks time. We have a 9 hour drive, starting just south of Wick. There is a road sign well north of Inverness that states 'No stopping for 200 miles'. That gets you to Perth! Good job the scenary is world class :mrgreen:
AndyR liked this
By Miscellaneous
@Bill McCarthy God forbid having to travel the length of the A9 behind a truck varying between 25-50mph. :shock: My procedure is to monitor average speed between cameras. That way if I have been doing 40 behind a truck for some time I can confidently pass at 80 and know if I have exceeded the 60mph average. :thumright:
T6Harvard liked this
By johnm
M4 to and from London today, tedious but most folk doing OK with the majority between 50 and 55 with a few outliers both slow and fast.
By Bill McCarthy
Misc, I notice that even with the overhead cameras, the radar vans still park up to trap the unwary who may have stopped for a while in a lay-by then blast off to the next camera, then brake hard.
T6Harvard liked this
By Bill Haddow
Joining M8 eastbound from A737 at Jct 28A (GLA / EGPF) this afternoon. Speed limit 50, changing to 60 200m or so further on, I'm doing an indicated 57/58. Metallic bronze hatch flashes past me, doing well over 70, chicanes into the middle lane to overtake someone on the inside, with a black saloon on his heels (the black saloon did not overtake on the inside); both disappear out of sight over the top of the White Cart Viaduct. Boy racers, I thought. About 2 km on, on the long straight that used to be Runway 08 of Renfrew airport, both cars are on the hard shoulder, the black one now positively sparkling with blue and red flashing lights. :thumright:

Fair made my afternoon.

Bill H
riverrock, Propwash, kanga and 4 others liked this
By Miscellaneous
Bill McCarthy wrote:Misc, I notice that even with the overhead cameras, the radar vans still park up to trap the unwary who may have stopped for a while in a lay-by then blast off to the next camera, then brake hard.

:shock: :shock: thanks for the heads up, I do keep a lookout, however I'm maybe not as vigilant as I would be if there were no average cameras.
By Rob P
Miscellaneous wrote:My procedure is to monitor average speed between cameras.

You do know that they are not simply sequential, ie one camera to the next then start again.

It can monitor the average between (say) camera #2 and camera #5 on a stretch?

Rob P
By Miscellaneous
Rob P wrote:You do know that they are not simply sequential, ie one camera to the next then start again.

It can monitor the average between (say) camera #2 and camera #5 on a stretch?

Indeed, however ensuring the average speed between any two consecutive cameras does not exceed the limit, the average speed between any two cannot exceed the limit. :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
I just set cruise control at just above the limit on GPS and so far so good. That generally makes me faster than some and a bit slower than others.

The risk is that while many average speed cameras won't trigger until 10 mph over, a few are zero tolerance.
By Miscellaneous
@johnm that's not so easy on the A9 with only one lane. Since they introduced the average speed cameras the tailbacks behind trucks seem to have grown due to an increased fear of some drivers to overtake slow traffic. Consequently it is easy to get stuck at 40mph for mile after mile. The challenge is overtaking when the opportunity presents itself while not exceeding the average limit of 60 or 70 mph. That's my method, monitor the average between cameras. It's not perfect, however it's better than guessing and allows progress to be made.
johnm, T6Harvard liked this
By Miscellaneous
@malcolmfrost ah, the danger there is that it's a rolling average. Your Tom Tom could be showing average 70mph over the last 30 miles, but you may have been at 80mph :shock: average between two cameras. :wink:
By Bill Haddow
T6Harvard wrote:
Aw well, I'll be 'enjoying' the A9 going south in a few weeks time. We have a 9 hour drive, starting just south of Wick. There is a road sign well north of Inverness that states 'No stopping for 200 miles'. That gets you to Perth! Good job the scenary is world class :mrgreen:

Don't be tempted to whizz along the B817 as a rat-run alternative to the A9
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-53592982

Bill H
By T6Harvard
Doing 116mph on that B road?! Good grief! Perhaps Morrisons was about to close and they needed urgent supplies of .......... (insert your own stereotypical item here).