Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By defcribed
Back in the day, before the iMac design revolution of the late 1990s, it used to be widely said that Apple were "computers for people who don't do computers".

The same is largely true today.

When you pay the extra for an iPad or iPhone what you are paying for is an enormous and very expensive aesthetic design and marketing effort, not higher performance kit. It appears to perform well because Apple so tightly controls the software environment that no-one can do anything which might cause it to fall over. Android products fall over because people put all kinds of badly-written carp on them, and if you don't do that then they don't.

Apple's famous "just don't hold it like that" line runs right through everything they do, which is why their customers accept the overheat/shutdown-at-perfectly-normal-temperatures issue as a feature rather than a fault.

You pays your money and you takes your choice, but don't kid yourself that you're making a savvy choice to pay more money for a technically-better product. You're buying a badge, a lifestyle, a brand - just like they want you to.

If we're going with the lobster analogy, the Apple lobster requires you purge your stomach of all other food first, create a lobster account before eating, hold your lobster a certain way, keep it within a narrow temperature band and frankly it won't really taste right unless you're sat on an Apple chair at an Apple table, drinking Apple wine and talking to your Apple wife.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anyone would think Apple products are constantly overheating and switching themselves off the way people (who don't use them) bang on about it all the time. They aren't.

I've used iPads in the cockpit since before SD was available on iOS, all over Europe for 70-80 hours per year, and it's happened to me once that I can definitely remember, although I have vague memories of it happening one other time. I have lots of friends who use iPads who have never seen a shutdown.

There may be perfectly real and valid reasons for not picking Apple, but you shouldn't let fear of overheating shutdowns be one of them.
By Rob P
defcribed wrote:... drinking Apple wine and talking to your Apple wife.

So many questions

I have looked through the windows of an Apple Store, envious of their marketing and amused by the willing brand victims, but I have never seen alcohol or even vaguely marriageable women within. Do you have to sidle up to one of the 12 year old AppleGeeks and ask to be shown into a back room?

Do Apple wives shut down when they get hot?

:shock:

Rob P
defcribed, shortwing, skydriller and 1 others liked this
By defcribed
It's an interesting question.

From a marketing perspective, I'd imagine that neither alcohol nor any sort of sex appeal feature in the Apple lifestyle. Both are far too base a pleasure and not cool enough.
Rob P liked this
By kanga
seanxair wrote:Putting SkyDemon on an Apple tablet is like eating lobster out Rick Steins. In Padstow. When it’s sunny. On a Friday night, in August.

FFS save your money and eat fresh lobster which tastes the same, round the corner for half the price.

Weather and location is the same for both lobsters :D

<continuing outrageous analogy :oops: >

.. but neither any better than lobsters (dozens of them) newly caught from an open boat and cooked on an impromptu beach BBQ at a small Newfoundland outport .. :)

SD analogy: cheap 7" Android (Hudl), later replaced for better screen size with cheap 8" Android (Lenovo), each running all domestic requirements as well as SD, relying only on built-in GPS, with battery charge lasting long enough to support as much flying (time, sorties) as I'd want to do in a day, never let me down in the air.

Others' experiences and requirements may legitimately be quite different, of course :)

</>
By PeteSpencer
Mods Could we have a separate knock the iPad thread sticky so the same old people could trot out the same old half-arsed arguments and insults and keep the rest of the forum for the rest of us to get on with life

It would save people like the OP having even to ask the question: all the bias, insults, anti-Apple hype and misinformation would be laid out clearly for all to see and avoid the need for a search .

Peter :roll:
By Paul_Sengupta
Pete, to be fair, the original question was about suitability for a fast and reliable tablet to run in the air. It's good to highlight any problems which may occur with the various choices.

GrahamB wrote:There may be perfectly real and valid reasons for not picking Apple, but you shouldn't let fear of overheating shutdowns be one of them.

It depends. I've been flying with several forumites who have had the issue while we've been flying and had to place their iPads next to the air vents to cool them. At least two off the top of my head, and I recall a third but can't remember who it was.
By skydriller
... And the first mention of how wonderfull i- products are on this thread and how it was incomprehensable to use anything else was by....errr....who..??

:wink:

Today the bard would say "2 i or not 2 i, that is the question..."
By PeteSpencer
I think you rather missed the point of my post which was that it was a waste of money buying a separate device to use exclusively for relatively few hours flying , only to lie unused for the remaining 8,000+ hours of the year.

Spending decent dosh on a high capacity /speed storage device which can be used for everything all year round ( and iStuff springs to mind) including SD rather than a succession of cheapo devices which get frequently replaced due to poor battery life, unsatisfactory screen resolution and slow speed.
Of course there may be an android device out there which fulfils my strict criteria in which case feel free to fill yer boots , Ill stick with stuff I know : no need to badger me to change .

Peter :lol:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By defcribed
PeteSpencer wrote:I think you rather missed the point of my post which was that it was a waste of money buying a separate device to use exclusively for relatively few hours flying , only to lie unused for the remaining 8,000+ hours of the year.

Spending decent dosh on a high capacity /speed storage device which can be used for everything all year round ( and iStuff springs to mind) including SD rather than a succession of cheapo devices which get frequently replaced due to poor battery life, unsatisfactory screen resolution and slow speed.
Of course there may be an android device out there which fulfils my strict criteria in which case feel free to fill yer boots , Ill stick with stuff I know : no need to badger me to change .

Peter :lol:

I find your comment about frequency of replacement baffling. Apple users, as far as I can tell, 'upgrade' their devices to the latest and greatest with the most amazing frequency and the company is known for planned obsolescence.

If your argument is along the lines of the 'buy cheap, buy twice' one that generally holds true with tools, it certainly doesn't hold true with Apple phones and tablets. The extra you pay is for the marketing.
By Paul_Sengupta
Many of us are still running 2013 Nexus 7s, as they're really still pretty good for running aviation apps. For a £60 investment (from e-bay, as mentioned earlier in the thread, though I think £100 for a Samsung S2 is a better investment these days!), it's probably worth having an aviation specific device as then it doesn't matter so much if it slides off the wing, gets a bit scratched, baked in the sun, etc, and you can keep it in your flight bag to ensure you don't inadvertently forget it. Your "home" tablet then stays pristine without any annoying scratches or dents or the like. That's why I bought a second, second hand, 2013 Nexus 7 for flying. Partly the reason I haven't used my Samsung S2 for flying yet is that I bought it in pristine condition and I don't want to risk scratching it!

Also many people's "home" tablets are of the larger 10" form factor, which are a bit big and difficult to mount in your eye/scan line for flying.
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Many of us are still running 2013 Nexus 7s, as they're really still pretty good for running aviation apps. For a £60 investment (from e-bay, as mentioned earlier in the thread, though I think £100 for a Samsung S2 is a better investment these days!), it's probably worth having an aviation specific device as then it doesn't matter so much if it slides off the wing, gets a bit scratched, baked in the sun, etc, and you can keep it in your flight bag to ensure you don't inadvertently forget it. Your "home" tablet then stays pristine without any annoying scratches or dents or the like. That's why I bought a second, second hand, 2013 Nexus 7 for flying. Partly the reason I haven't used my Samsung S2 for flying yet is that I bought it in pristine condition and I don't want to risk scratching it!

Also many people's "home" tablets are of the larger 10" form factor, which are a bit big and difficult to mount in your eye/scan line for flying.

I joined the 2013 Forumite inspired lemming like rush to buy a refurbished Nexus 7:

The first one took two months to arrive and didn't work:

I sent it back

The second one took 6 weeks to arrive and didn't work either.

I sent that back too.

My money too 6 months to be returned.

I bought an iPad mini-early model: now donated to family member and present iPadMini4 going strong.

Peter.
By PeteSpencer
defcribed wrote:I find your comment about frequency of replacement baffling. Apple users, as far as I can tell, 'upgrade' their devices to the latest and greatest with the most amazing frequency and the company is known for planned obsolescence.

Well, I don't:

defcribed wrote:
If your argument is along the lines of the 'buy cheap, buy twice' one that generally holds true with tools, it certainly doesn't hold true with Apple phones and tablets.

Well it's not: It's quite the reverse...

Peter