For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
skydriller wrote:Edit; And you've just done it again...who you callin' girlie... :lol:

I'm merely choosing to accept the word of a fellow forumite that you drive a hairdressers car. I see no reason to conclude he would tell lies on the forum. :wink:
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:For the avoidance of doubt I would very rarely overtake a left turning car the degree of visibility of the junction area and the need for a total lack of oncoming traffic makes the opportunity very unusual.

And there's the rub, it has become such an unusual event (in Gloucestershire :D ) that people don't expect to be able to and lack of spacial awareness creates the situation I describe. :wink:
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sidebar: hey, this is odd...

Just had the following notification:
Mentioned by johnm in: "Motorway driving"

Yet on clicking to go to the post, it takes me the post here by @Miscellaneous :

Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:Drivers are often in too much of a hurry and completely carp at anticipation and spacial awareness.

That's exactly my point.
I'm hurt that @skydriller feels my word that cars following stay behind even when the junction is clearly visible, is untrustworthy. :( Bloody (girly) Porche drivers! :tongue:

:scratch:

Why's that then...
By johnm
And there's the rub, it has become such an unusual event (in Gloucestershire :D ) that people don't expect to be able to and lack of spacial awareness creates the situation I describe. :wink:

Au contraire it's because my spacial awareness and anticipation are second to none that I feel no need to do anything other than observe the left turn from a respectful distance and then move on at a speed commensurate with road conditions and limits. :D
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:... and then move on at a speed commensurate with road conditions and limits. :D

There's the rub again. What you auld fellas determine as commensurate with conditions and limits holds the rest of us from getting on with driving to the actual conditions. :wink:
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:
johnm wrote:... and then move on at a speed commensurate with road conditions and limits. :D

There's the rub again. What you auld fellas determine as commensurate with conditions and limits holds the rest of us from getting on with driving to the actual conditions. :wink:

You'll find me at just over the speed limit on the open road and under it on lanes and in town. The fastest I've driven (legally on the highway) is 140 mph

I took an assessment drive for old folk when I was 70 and was firmly told that 10% plus 2 is too fast now that cameras are zero tolerance in some places. :D
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:I took an assessment drive for old folk when I was 70 and was firmly told that 10% plus 2 is too fast now that cameras are zero tolerance in some places. :D

What's that got to do with it? :D

I went on an advanced motorcycling course with a motorcycle copper. If only more understood his teaching; that proper conduct on the road is to make fast, efficient and safe progress. Not dither around because you personally are in no hurry to get anywhere. As you auld yins and bloody tourists do. :wink: Apply some roadmanship, it would be much appreciated by many! :D
By eltonioni
A revalidation test every couple of years would soon improve standards.

Mind you, so would mandatory crash helmets for vehicle occupants.
By Miscellaneous
eltonioni wrote:Mind you, so would mandatory crash helmets for vehicle occupants.

Bloody hell, they're cocooned enough as it is. Imagine what helmets would do for spacial awareness. :lol:
eltonioni liked this
By malcolmfrost
eltonioni wrote:A revalidation test every couple of years would soon improve standards.

Mind you, so would mandatory crash helmets for vehicle occupants.

A large spike in the steering wheel may have more effect! I think an ‘hour with an instructor” every 10 year renewal would be a good idea plus an online refresh of the Highway Code, you would also have to retake your test if you let it lapse one day after :twisted:
By johnm
I presume at @Miscellaneous that you are one of those hurtling around the lanes frightening the horses, cyclists and pedestrians and getting impatient with those of us who aren't. :twisted:

I generally drive at or slightly above the speed limit when road conditions allow, but as I am not equipped with blues and twos, I don't usually go any faster than that. :roll:
By Propwash
johnm wrote:but as I am not equipped with blues and twos, I don't usually go any faster than that.

Ahhh. Those were the days. :wink:

I love threads like this one. They always reinforce my belief that the old saying is true:

"You can say what you like about a man's wife but never criticise his driving."

PW
Miscellaneous, PeteSpencer, eltonioni and 2 others liked this
By Miscellaneous
johnm wrote:I presume at @Miscellaneous that you are one of those hurtling around the lanes frightening the horses, cyclists and pedestrians and getting impatient with those of us who aren't. :twisted:

Well there you go making all sort of assertions John. In doing so the classic error is that of assuming bad driving is all about excess speed. :wink:

I recall a discussion with a retired traffic cop who tops up his pension by acting as an expert witness in traffic court cases. Interestingly he shared my view about long queues of traffic being held up by selfish ditherers up front and compounded by the inability of those behind to overtake. Discussing how he dealt with it he explained he made safe and efficient progress through the traffic and conceded that in doing so he upset some of those being overtaken. I guess you would be in that category? Exploring the scenario whereby he was involved in an unrelated incident of which he was blameless I asked his view on the influence on the case should any of these drivers be interviewed about his driving. His response was it is a risk he has to live with and which he tries to mitigate through use of a dashcam. :D

johnm wrote:I generally drive at or slightly above the speed limit when road conditions allow, but as I am not equipped with blues and twos, I don't usually go any faster than that. :roll:

Oh I don't know. I have vague recollections of you being rather proud of dithering with the justification that you were not in a hurry to get anywhere. :D