Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Glidingdoc
What is the best handheld / portable GPS device that can run Sky Demon? I have a Samsung Tablet but it seams awfully slow. What have more experienced colleagues found to work well?

Steve
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have recently bought a Samsung A and so far so good - but that is not what you want to hear.

Bit of getting used to but I did not want to spend the best part of 500 quid on a new Ipad that only gets used for flying. If money was no object I would have gotten an Ipad, just as I know that better than Android.
By Rob P
Huawei Mediapad M5 8" replaced my Nexus, which still performed acceptably.

The Huawei is a good couple of levels more responsive, though with SkyDemon the benefits aren't that noticeable as its not a particularly resource hungry application

Rob P
By skydriller
Glidingdoc wrote:I have a Samsung Tablet but it seams awfully slow
Are you suggesting that Skydemon is slow on the Tablet?? If you are saying this then Im surprised, SD is not processor hungry in my experience and will work on anything - perhaps your tablet has an issue?
Ive got a Samsung 8in Tab something,..it was about 100quid and I bought it because though I have a Laptop which can be used like a tablet, it is 11in, so a bit big and also doesnt have inbuilt GPS. Great for SD, the little 8in Samsung is now the device of choice for internet/Email browsing.

Regards, SD.
Nick liked this
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Bit of getting used to but I did not want to spend the best part of 500 quid on a new Ipad that only gets used for flying. If money was no object I would have gotten an Ipad, just as I know that better than Android.

Don’t follow this logic I spent large sums on an iPad mini that does everything , has a massive storage capacity to house all my music and 7000 photos and videos and still isn’t half full.

It Bluetooths my music to my music centres/ radios all round the house and provides me with internet access to you lot .

I use it constantly every day :

And on the rare occasions I fly it gets me there and back with Sky Demon.

Like I’ve said many times before I don’t see the logic in spending anything on a gadget that is used perhaps for 40 hours per year and sits idle for the other 8720 hours .
Who needs separate SD hardware?

Peter :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
By MattL
I have a sanitised IPad mini which I use for SD and as an EFB - has worked seamlessly for years without a single hang up or any fault. When people are spending £200+ an hour on flying it’s not worth skimping on a device for your primary nav source I don’t think. I don’t know any commercial operators that use anything but ipad.
By johnm
Like @PeteSpencer in my case Skydemon is just another iPad mini app amongst many others including other navigation and some weather apps.
By PeteSpencer
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@PeteSpencer

The Ipad is used by one of the kids most of the time; I either use the phone or laptop for my daily stuff. Rarely if ever for anything else than flying. Hence my logic.

Chacun son gout

Ah yes!
Forgot that:
My mini also houses granddaughters Roblox and a ton of princessy /unicorny stuff as well :roll:
Very versatile.

Have to concede it's cr ap for reading online flyer mags though: have given up.

Peter
townleyc liked this
By johnm
Have to concede it's cr ap for reading online flyer mags though: have given up.

Interesting, I haven't found it to be a problem after some initial teething problems, I do a bit of zooming and unzooming but easy enough really.
By defcribed
MattL wrote:I have a sanitised IPad mini which I use for SD and as an EFB - has worked seamlessly for years without a single hang up or any fault. When people are spending £200+ an hour on flying it’s not worth skimping on a device for your primary nav source I don’t think. I don’t know any commercial operators that use anything but ipad.

There are a myriad of reasons why anyone implementing an enterprise solution tends to go with Apple rather than Android, but the hardware being better is not one of them.

I have had the same easy and seamless experience you've had, but with a Nexus 7. Cost far less and doesn't overheat/shutdown at ambient temperatures well within the likely required range for everyday use.
Rob P, JAFO, segillum and 2 others liked this