Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My aircraft (with a continental O-200) has been making odd noises in flight. I have been unable to reproduce it on the ground.

All is in the hands of my LAA inspector, but in the meantime can anyone identify what the clattering noise is?

I was not flying through rain or hail. There were no seatbelt straps dangling outside, nor any loose bits of trim.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Please ignore the video itself. If I knew how to publish a sound only file I would.
D
By Rob L
I'd suggest it's not engine-related, Dodo.

What aircraft is it? (It really sounds like something loose/flapping in the slipstream), close enough to the microphone to be recorded.

PM if needs be.
Rob (also an LAA Inspector)
Dodo liked this
By Dodo
What aircraft is it? (It really sounds like something loose/flapping in the slipstream), close enough to the microphone to be recorded.

Thanks. It's Bolkow Junior
Acoustics in a cockpit are a nightmare!

I have an electronic stethoscope system that you could move around the cockpit in order to pinpoint the loudest area of the noise source.

That's usually a good place to start jiggling or cable tying stuff.

Where are you located?
Dodo liked this
By skydriller
Certainly sounds like something flapping about...
No seatbelt straps possibly trapped outside you say? Or even clothing?
Dodo liked this
By Rob P
I get exactly that with a passenger and the squelch not quite turned down enough. More noticeable when they turn their head to look out of the side window.

Rob P
Dodo liked this
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:I get exactly that with a passenger and the squelch not quite turned down enough. More noticeable when they turn their head to look out of the side window.

Rob P

But that would be through the headset wouldnt it? I had thought the video sound was direct from the camera - @Dodo ?
Dodo liked this
By Flying_john
Is the engine fitted with a dry vac pump for instrument suction? as I see you have an AH and DI, or do you have a venturi.
Does it change frequency with a change in RPM
Is it noticeable on climb, cruise and descent to land
Last edited by Flying_john on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodo liked this
By Dodo
Thanks all. I shall re-investigate. Thanks also for suggestion re electronic stethoscope @ flyingeeza I am at Shoreham. At the moment a/c is grounded for investigation, but when flying again, if it continues, that might be the way to go.

But that would be through the headset wouldnt it? I had thought the video sound was direct from the camera - @Dodo ?

Yes , direct from camera, not through headset.

Is the engine fitted with a dry vac pump for instrument suction?

No, no such luxury, it has a venturi system.
Last edited by Dodo on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dodo
Flying_john wrote:Change with Revs ?
Change with climb, descent or cruise ?

Seemed more marked at high engine power rather than airspeed related. Audible in climb and cruise.
I really didn't think I could hear it on the ground but here is a video of a high power ground run after landing, and on reflection, I think it is there but not as noticeable. Again the video is incidental, it was really just recording the sound. If I had thought more sensibly I would have kept it on the tacho (which I didn't think was causing the noise, but could have been).
By Rob L
I don't think it's acoustics in the cockpit; it's more like an exterior sound. It also sounds close to the microphone (it's "flapping", not "drumming" if it was further away on a wooden structure)

In your second "video" I hear the "flapping" diminish with RPM (or perhaps airspeed). It's something close to the cockpit. Cowl chafe tape come loose, perhaps? Windscreen tape/seal (if fitted) come loose?

Just suggestions.
Rob
Flyin'Dutch', Rich V, Dodo liked this