Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Iceman wrote:
chevvron wrote:Farnborough would be no help as they don't have AVGAS :wink:

The flying club do have an AVGAS bowser.

Iceman 8)

Farnborough Aero Club do have AVGAS yes; IF you know who to contact and IF access to their hangar isn't blocked by parked aircraft :wink: , but the aerodrome operator doesn't keep a supply ( nor do RAF Odiham as far as I know) because all based aircraft use AVTUR/Jet A1.
Iceman wrote:If you’ve landed there with such low fuel that you can’t then takeoff for Blackbushe or Fairoaks, you probably won’t mind the wait for fuel :wink:.

Iceman 8)

Obviously you've done that :twisted:
Course there's also the landing fee; even for an emergency they'll still charge you and you have to prove you're NOT a commercial flight to claim it back.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Of my two landings at Farnborough, neither for low fuel reasons I might add, I was charged a landing fee on neither occasion. The first was an emergency in a Seneca (door was open, solid IMC, so I needed an instrument approach quickly), and the second was in the same Seneca by invitation for a tour of the facilities.

Iceman 8)
Iceman wrote:Of my two landings at Farnborough, neither for low fuel reasons I might add, I was charged a landing fee on neither occasion. The first was an emergency in a Seneca (door was open, solid IMC, so I needed an instrument approach quickly), and the second was in the same Seneca by invitation for a tour of the facilities.

Iceman 8)

Policy has changed then; after they withdrew from Strasser, they had the policy I outlined above.
I feel old, some of us can remember when you could land at F'boro and it wasnt even expensive. That was after you could do T and G's if they werent too busy, which was before my time, but have been assured it was common. Dunsfold still had RAF controllers as well.
By PeteSpencer
I remember getting freebee IR approaches at Upper Heyford just before the cousins pulled out, when I was doing my IMCr in the early 90s.

And endless NDB 'approaches' at WCO, with pseudo VOR approaches at DTY with 2000ft wound off the altimeter for added realism : I think we used a Southampton plate but the memory dims.....

Oh and Coventry were quite obliging.

Quick, nurse: the screens..... :oops:

Peter
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
Charles Hunt wrote:And the slipstream doesn't blow the door closed in IMC?

It proved impossible to shut in flight. The classic Piper top door handle making it look closed but in fact still open. I blame the passenger, who shall remain nameless, Aerbabe :lol:.

Iceman 8)
Charles Hunt liked this
Iceman wrote:

It proved impossible to shut in flight. The classic Piper top door handle making it look closed but in fact still open. I blame the passenger, who shall remain nameless, Aerbabe :lol:.

Iceman 8)

Be 58s must have been like that too; (no I don't mean carrying Aerbabe as a passenger) I had two of them about a month apart, take off from Fairoaks and on calling 125.250, requesting PAR at Farnborough to land due to an open door; I was PAR controller both times. 8)
Iceman liked this
Yesterday heading from Waltham to the south east with one other aircraft. He elected to transit Farnborough and was inevitably asked to orbit to accommodate an arriving jet.
we chose the Heathrow zone and we were cleared straight in at 1200’ while the 777’s continued to depart over our heads with no drama. The controller coordinated with Farnborough and Fairoaks to route us through the Fairoaks ATZ straight to OCK giving us a climb to not above 2400’ while still in then zone.
If one of the busiest airports in Europe can deal with us while firing off departures like a machine gun, why does Farnborough make such a drama out of one biz jet arrival right next door?
Iceman wrote:

Iceman 8)

Concerning Pipers and open doors, did you have the small storm window next to the pilot open? I've fallen foul of the top door handle appearing to be closed on numerous P28As only to have the door pop open a number of times, right after departing, leading to recriminations - I thought you said you'd closed the bloody door!,

After the second time it happened, I noted the procedure in the handbook for 'door open in flight' - it was only when I reduced speed, opened the storm window, then closed the door that I was actually able to close it and secure it in flight.....
Iceman liked this
TLRippon wrote:Yesterday heading from Waltham to the south east with one other aircraft. He elected to transit Farnborough and was inevitably asked to orbit to accommodate an arriving jet.
we chose the Heathrow zone and we were cleared straight in at 1200’ while the 777’s continued to depart over our heads with no drama. The controller coordinated with Farnborough and Fairoaks to route us through the Fairoaks ATZ straight to OCK giving us a climb to not above 2400’ while still in then zone.
If one of the busiest airports in Europe can deal with us while firing off departures like a machine gun, why does Farnborough make such a drama out of one biz jet arrival right next door?

I absolutely share your sentiment, but surely there's a bit of a difference in terms of your proximity to the field and the approach?

When you take the Heathrow crossing you describe you're either on a roughly parallel track to the approaches and below them at some 3-4 miles lateral separation (if they're on easterlies), or going underneath the south-turning departures which will be climbing out at 2,000fpm+ rapidly putting more and more distance between you. Happy to be corrected by the ATCOs on here, but I don't believe the Heathrow Radar controller really has to coordinate you with the departures or arrivals as such - you can fly that route while normal departures and arrivals continue - there is no conflict.

When you go through Farnborough (whether 'round the corner' or straight south) you're actually crossing the 24 ILS. They obviously can't clear you across the ILS while an inbound is on it and relatively close to the point where you'll cross, and even a crossing close to either threshold can potentially conflict with a missed approach.

Perhaps they are too conservative with lining things up for light aircraft to cross ahead of inbounds - I don't know. On my most recent crossing (which was without holding, south to north across the 24 short final) it was made clear as I approached that I needed to keep the speed up otherwise I was likely to get a few orbits to let the jet go first.

Not that I'm defending the situation. From a philosophical and freedom-of-navigation perspective I believe the jets should be waiting for gaps in the light GA traffic rather than the other way around.
chevvron liked this