Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By JAFO
Miscellaneous wrote:The comment was generic and not aimed at anyone in particular. :oops:

I didn't take it to be only aimed specifically at me and didn't take any sort of offence. It is a very good attitude to take and one I am really working on.

I agree absolutely, to do anything other than take calculated risks is to risk missing out on life's best moments.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Carb Heat cold after touch down or on go-around.

Really?

I always pop carb heat to cold at 300ft to avoid potential for rich cut in the event of a go round / aborted landing?

I have to stress that I’m not saying you are wrong. Just interesting to note differing methods.

Flying with a number of veritable ice maker engines* has led me to make that my SOP; a rich cut is easily avoided by feeding in the throttle slowly and at the same time closing the Carb Heat; in certain conditions the time from 300ft to go-around is plenty long enough to have sufficient carb-ice.

*RR O-200 and Lyc O-540
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Golden rules got broken a bit this morning :oops: Rust meant I fell behind a bit while flying the DME ARC onto the ILS
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rusty eagle
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Carb Heat cold after touch down or on go-around.

Really?

I always pop carb heat to cold at 300ft to avoid potential for rich cut in the event of a go round / aborted landing?

I have to stress that I’m not saying you are wrong. Just interesting to note differing methods.

Flying with a number of veritable ice maker engines* has led me to make that my SOP; a rich cut is easily avoided by feeding in the throttle slowly and at the same time closing the Carb Heat; in certain conditions the time from 300ft to go-around is plenty long enough to have sufficient carb-ice.

*RR O-200 and Lyc O-540

Add Continental C90 to that list. I had carb icing on full power climb in a cub one January.
Flyin'Dutch', Joe Dell liked this
By Rob P
rusty eagle wrote:Make sure the master switch is off when leaving the aircraft

And even then walk back and check it again after moving more than 250 metres from the aircraft.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this