For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dear All

I have a domain with some emails attached to it.

There have always been some issues with emails from me in people's spam filters but that was apart from being a minor pain never something to consider moving providers for.

Of recently though the behaviour of the mailboxes has become a positive pain in the rear.

Did I read somewhere and understand correctly that one could move emails and its associated boxes to Gmail or do I need to find another provider. Just moved my website to Wix and they offer an email service but I dont really want to be tied to someone because my websites are hosted there.

Any good tips, implementable by an IT-numpty, gratefully accepted.

FD

PS I use mail for mac as my email client, I positively don't like outlook for emails.
By rikur_
scottish_ppl wrote:Looks like its £4.60 a month. Any other solutions recommended by anyone, have a similar issue.

It depends if you just want email, or also want online storage, etc.

Microsoft....
Email only Microsoft 365 is £3 per month + VAT (link)

Add to that 1TB of OneDrive at £3.80 per month (link)
(that's email and OneDrive for less than the price of a Dropbox subscription)

Cheaper alternatives....
Fasthosts for £1.99 per month. ( I don't use their email services, but the other stuff I've got with them is just fine ).

GSuite....
I hadn't realised how much this had crept up in price ..... us early adopters are still on a free service :D
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rjc101
I dumped GMail that I'd used for years for fastmail, which is a dedicated e-mail service. I was getting an increasing number of problems with Gmail and Apple systems, trying to contact Google for support just went round and round in circles.

Whilst you pay per mailbox (address) in fastmail, you can have multiple alias's on each address and also send from those too. Which is quite handy. Their support has been amazing, swift response and solution in 24 hours when needed during setup.

They have their own mail apps, or everything just works fine with the native Apple apps (iOS or MacOS) - you create app password for the various devices which can auto provision with a QR code profile. They are one of a handful of mail providers that support full push e-mail on Apple native apps out of the box. Their webmail interface is good too.

If you like the look of them, I can create a referral link. Whilst this would add credit to my account, I'm paid up for 3 years anyway, but you'd get 10% off the first year.

To use your own domain it is $5 (they bill in USD, despite being Australian) per mailbox a month.

https://www.fastmail.com
Last edited by rjc101 on Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rjc101
rikur_ wrote:
scottish_ppl wrote:GSuite....
I hadn't realised how much this had crept up in price ..... us early adopters are still on a free service :D

I was on their free plan, and more and more of it had issues. Google said it was because the grandfathered old account needed upgrading to a paid one. They moved my accounts for free to the new platforms, however things didn't improve and e-mail stopped for a while. Got fed up and moved to fastmail.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By flyingdoug
rjc101 wrote:I dumped GMail that I'd used for years for fastmail, which is a dedicated e-mail service
To use your own domain it is $5 (they bill in USD, despite being Australian) per mailbox a month.

https://www.fastmail.com

I'd highly recommend them also. I've been using Fastmail with my own domain (which means there are unlimited email addresses @mydomain.com) for the last 17 years. I think it's the longest running subscription I've had for anything - which says something about its reliability.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rjc101
Colonel Panic wrote:Call me mean, but $60pa per mailbox seems awfully steep to me.

I use (having been recommended them by a Mod here) https://krystal.uk/cloud-hosting for my hosting; I use their Ruby plan which is ~£100pa, but for that you get oodles of webspace and seemingly unlimited email addresses.

Well fastmail is $50 for the year, or $5 per month. So ~£40 for the year. If you have your own domain name, then you can have as many aliases as needed, so basically as many mailboxes as you need, physically it all arrives in the one mailbox but can be pre-flied with rules in their system. You can send from those too if you set it up to do that. Depends on how many something's @ my domain you want to have.

For e-mail only hosting, that is pretty good value.
By Colonel Panic
True, but the problem with aliases (which I use a lot BTW) is that they are only any good for one person. With Krystal I am able to organise the extended family's email addresses and then what they then do from there is up to them. Had we all gone to fast mail we would have ended up spending a lot more in total. That was all.
By riverrock
I use email alias and redirection features to forward email from a paid for domain into my gmail account. I can also use gmail to send emails as if it was coming from that domain. Also use it with my flying groups so that one email will send to all members of the group.
£14.39 per year, including a .co.uk domain name from https://www.123-reg.co.uk/
I've had no reliability issues.