Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By TimmyP
Single - Cub or SR22?
Single retractable - Europa or Piper Malibu?
Multi - Seneca?, Kingair? Beaufighter? (I wish).

Type matters greatly to performance. The fact is, about 90%* of aircraft seen day to day will be either a C1xx, PA2x, Rxx, RVx or one of the other well known types so it's just as quick as the options above.

For the remaining 10% most will still be known by ATC, if they don't know they'll ask what type that is. Much easier IMO than "light single", "confirm type?", "sorry, Cessna 172" 25 times a day.

Confirming the 10% that aren't known is much quicker than confirming the 90% which would have been.

I do accept that the standard patter is a little long winded and no, not all the information is needed all the time. But if delivered smoothly, it really doesn't take that long and saves going back to confirm things in the event they are needed later. Smooth, practiced and confident delivery is what saves the time!

*ok this is a made up figure based on my experience at a radar class D unit as a lot of the chat has been about transits. I accept Gloucester etc would be different.
By chevvron
Rob P wrote:Of late Lakenheath have dispensed with the bollox.
With Mode S at least the transaction goes like this
"Lakenheath Zone, G-BZXB for basic service and MATZ penetration"
"G-BZXB squawk 4502 QNH 1021"
"4502 and 1021, G-XB"
Pause...
"G-XB you are radar identified five miles east of Old Buckenham, basic service and MATZ penetration"
"G-XB, basic service and MATZ penetration"
Which apart from some fascinating overhears and occasional traffic information is all you will hear from them until the legendary
"Golfxraybravoyouhavereachedtheedgeofmyzoneswuawkseventhousandfrequencychangeapproved"
Rob P

I think that's just standard USAF controller procedure; heard the same many years ago when calling Upper Heyford:
'Upper Heyford this is GAWGK'
'GAWGK Heyford say position heading and altitude'
etc etc
By Rob P
chevvron wrote:I think that's just standard USAF controller procedure

Yes, I don't think that they have ever been issued with a copy of CAP413 which was rather the point of my original post which appears to have whizzed over someone's head (not yours)

But top marks to them, they have now moved to "Ay-Tee-Zed", rather than the original "Ay-Tee-Zee"

Rob P
:eye: It can be really important in assessing what 'you can do' with an aircraft type. Although not especially relevant to the GA class of aircraft under discussion it can be vital. For instance, I never was able to get Mildenhall Ops to specify routinely which type of Stratotanker was 'in the offing' on their departure flight plans, as they had all 3 main types operating there:

KC35 = KC 135A/Q - whoa! Curvature of the earth take-off and allied arthritic rate of climb and acceleration; therefore don't plan to 'jump' anything, you'll be down in the weeds for ages avoiding everything (or trying to!), stop climb against any transit crossers (not that they'll reach the tech stop-off! but helps the accel too if they do), late hand-over to London Mil.

KE35 = KC135E - probably ANG unit, not familiar with UK procedures so BEWARE, reasonable performance, can turn and continue climb at the same time, get across to London Mil asap.

KR35 = KC135R. Now, that's what I'm talking about! Climbs like the proverbial homesick angel, accelerates like a scalded cat, can 'jump' the F-111s out of Lakenheath regularly, start the handover to London Mil as soon as the squawk appears off the end of the runway! (never mind the "safe and expeditious flow of traffic" - the objective of ATC is to "get as many aircraft OFF your frequency onto some other perishers'!" :lol:

(How did the black-eye emoji get added? I didn't put it there.....)
kanga, T67M liked this