Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Human Factor wrote:
What's the problem with flying suits? Pockets for everything, somewhere to keep a pen handy and they don't melt all over you in fires, what's not to like?

Having landed a -52 many years ago with a Niagara Falls of avgas pouring from the wing. and on a separate occasion having a failed oil pipe send rather warm liquified ex-dinosaurs all over my feet, I’m quite happy in Nomex and decent boots thanks. No need in most regular spam but then they’re built to a civilian certification standard.

Ditto. I wear a flying suit in my Moth cos it's cold, oily, cramped and dirty. And there's nowhere to stow charts, pens, freq lists and so on except in pockets. So not posey; just practical.
By Trent772
cotterpot wrote:We had an example Saturday.
Flew to Fenland, which was busy as expected..
Very unhealth bacon and egg bap consumed. :thumleft:

Waiting to leave, at least 3 in circuit, two more on ground with us - and someone calls a 4 mile final :?: Were they not listening?

I heard that as I was late downwind about to turn base.....

I called final, taxied in, parked up and a whirlygig thing landed - most odd.

I actually thought our bacon bap was most excellent - nearly as good as Wickers :thumleft:
By shortwing
Interesting @TheFarmer

I took off on Saturday where a Yak took off behind me making no radio calls (Air Ground Station) and decided to formate on my wing during the initial climb and only made a call to me as I started the turn and then proceeded to cut past me very close. I got the reg.

Same airfield later in the day, an R22 without looking or monitoring the radio decided to cut across the approach path when I was about 100ft on final. Has airmanship taken a dip or are my expectations too high?
By TheFarmer
Nope, it’s not too much too expect basic airmanship at all.

The trouble is, as time ticks on, more and more of the ‘entitled brigade’ are getting airborne, and their ‘I don’t give a toss about anyone but me’ attitude gets taken aloft too.
Flyin'Dutch', shortwing, Irv Lee and 9 others liked this
By Sooty25
cotterpot wrote: - and someone calls a 4 mile final :?:

our strip has 3 other airfields within 4.5 miles, two of which are pretty much on extended centre lines! That would be like, calling final before you depart! :shock:
Big injected Contis can be a handful to restart when very hot (not always but I certainly do try to avoid it)
But you would have definitely found me running back down the taxi way to help once I'd found a parking spot to shutdown.
If we don't have common decency and camaraderie in aviation we're missing a huge chunk of what can make it so great, in the same way as many other activities. All of this can, and is, repeated like for like in boating/sailing unfortunately.
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, flybymike and 2 others liked this
By cadoganpier
White Waltham by any chance?.

shortwing wrote:Interesting @TheFarmer

I took off on Saturday where a Yak took off behind me making no radio calls (Air Ground Station) and decided to formate on my wing during the initial climb and only made a call to me as I started the turn and then proceeded to cut past me very close. I got the reg.

Same airfield later in the day, an R22 without looking or monitoring the radio decided to cut across the approach path when I was about 100ft on final. Has airmanship taken a dip or are my expectations too high?
By proteus
Sad to hear, It's disappointing that people will go past a fellow aviator if they need a hand. I wonder if it's a product of busier airfields, or possibly regional differences. Fortunately I've generally had positive experiences, and if I see someone possibly struggling will always offer a hand or tools. Having been broken down in a friend's aircraft abroad a friendly microlight chap lending us their hangar / workshop and tools was incredibly kind and helpful.
By Dave W
In my limited experience in a Yak 52, I would not choose to shut down on a taxiway (or anywhere else I didn't plan to leave it for a while) for concern it may not start again quickly. And that WOULD block everybody else trying to get by.

Starting the beast was not always straightforward.

Whether that concern would have been justified is for others more experienced in the aircraft to say; but I absolutely don't believe I would have been being selfish. I would feel that I was balancing issues as I felt they existed at the time.
By TheFarmer
@Dave W - there was about 30 acres of beautifully mown grass about 10 metres around the corner of the hedge, which is where I parked up to help.

Anyway, it is what it is, and a slightly sad reflection on modern humanity, not necessarily just in aviation.
By PeteSpencer
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Maybe the flight suit impeded the pilots egress.

More likely, flapping unzipped legs, pockets and sleeves might get hooked up on the controls and cause an unexpected control interference or serious accident.

Peter
By skydriller
Id just like to say that I have, on numerous occasions, had many fellow fliers go above and beyond in helping, or offering to help, all over Europe, mostly unasked and offered freely. In the spirit of "what comes around goes around", I in turn try to do my little bit to help others if I can when the occasion arises. I really do believe that the majority are like this, and I like to think that behaviour to the contrary is an aberation, or someone having "an off day", regardless of what they fly.

Regards, SD..
Crash one, Rich V, Human Factor and 9 others liked this
By defcribed
@MichaelP It's perfectly understandable, regardless of your instructor status or undoubted experience, that someone hand-starting an aircraft may not want your help.

We do indeed tend to have our own way, each slightly different but each doing it the same way each time. To stay safe we like to concentrate on the task and not vary a routine that we know works. The last thing we want is to be worrying about what a helpful stranger who thinks they know better might suddenly do.

Now many (usually those who don't do it much) will say that you should never do it alone. Fine, that's a point of view, but it does greatly limit your options. Myself, I feel far safer doing it alone than being 'assisted' by a stranger. It's not too bad if the stranger is passive and does what you tell him to, but it gets positively terrifying when they start trying to direct proceedings.

Also, sometimes when warm they're impossible to start without a decent amount of throttle on. I'll wager he knew exactly what was happening and disaster was nowhere near as close as you thought.

Please don't be offended if your offer to 'help' results in a polite "no thank you". Frankly, if I want someone to stand in front of the tailplane for an extra safety factor then I'd rather someone who knows nothing about aeroplanes and therefore won't be tempted to offer me advice while I'm swinging the prop.
ChampChump, rf3flyer, romille and 4 others liked this