Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By t1m80
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
That's a proper bummer. I'm still trying to get my first flight in since passing my skills test, so I'm with you on the frustration front. But your instructor going is a blow for sure. You have my sympathy but I'm sure this whole system is rigged to weed out the weak, don't let 'em win! Keep going, it will happen. Just try not to be too precious about exactly when :-)
By Flyingkeyboard
I feel your frustration. Despite managing to fly my first two lessons of the year over the last few days, and flying them reasonably well, I might add, it is easy to become despondent about the whole process.

My story, started flying April 2018, solo’d in the July. Moved onto Nav, numerous landaways with the instructor, etc. I then flew a few solo ‘triangles in the sky’ (2019), but since then, it feels like my training has stalled (no pun intended!). A work commitment overseas last summer meant that I missed out on the continuity and now in spring 2020, I’m back to landaways with the instructor, with nearly 50 hours logged in total.

I’m due for yet another landaway next weekend (I must have logged 30+ hours dual XC, easily) and if after that I don’t start moving to solo navs (which I’ve proven I can do) with a view to the QXC, I might look at another school. As a minimum I’ll be chatting with the CFI and asking them to go through my training records.

Anyway, rant over. I still enjoy the flying but British weather and the perceived lack of progress can’t help but get to you sometimes.

Some words of encouragement would be nice..! Safe flying all :)
By Nero
I had a great lesson today with a new instructor on a very sunny day with loads of fellow pilots in the air.

The poor guy on Farnborough radar hardly took a breath!

My last lesson was 1st Febraury, so it was great to be in the air again and everything came flooding back like riding a bike :)

He said I could be solo in a couple sessions so I'll have to dig out my medical!!
t1m80, T6Harvard, JAFO and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Good to hear!!

I'm still awaiting my second lesson.....first one was abroad, simply because that's where I was at the time - a proper lesson with CFI, all stamped in my logbook :mrgreen: ) . Local school are obvs prioritising current students so meantime i am studying.

Nice to hear of someone who has retained the learning and is pressing ahead after the big time gap due to lockdown.

Is your new instructor very different to your prev one?

My only encounters, one experience flight and one full lesson were very positive. Both guys were very experienced at instructing, it all felt very calm and almost matter of fact, and they somehow made me confident that I could cope and indeed improve!
By Nero
T6Harvard wrote:Nice to hear of someone who has retained the learning and is pressing ahead after the big time gap due to lockdown.

Is your new instructor very different to your prev one?

Looking on the plus side, having nearly 6 months off flying has made this hobby much cheaper this year

Unfortunately, I've gone through a few instructors for reasons outside my control...

The last one was a nice guy and made me feel relaxed and confident, so I was gutted he left.

The new one is thankfully a nice guy too but very different. Very calm and measured but he gave me a lot of freedom despite knowing next to nothing about my flying, so that's positive. I think we'll do well and he ended with telling me I should be soloing in a few lessons time, so I was very happy with him

Good luck with getting your second lesson in!
T6Harvard liked this
By Wicksay
I think it would throw me of track a ways if I had to change my Instructor. He's a bit of a hero to me.

But great you're back up as soon as possible.

Keep us posted.

How about a social sometime soon?
By Nero
Wicksay wrote:I think it would throw me of track a ways if I had to change my Instructor.

How about a social sometime soon?

Well I'm on my fourth so I'm a bit of a pro at it

Current one really is a good guy. Used to fly for Flybe. Very calm and good explanations even after lesson when they're usually rushing to the next student.

Social sounds good. Feel free to pm me
t1m80 liked this
By Fellsteruk
Good stuff Nero glad your back up in the air I know how you feel, I’m on my 3rd instructor two of which still fly so I’ve gone between them but mostly with the one however he’s still isolating I believe so whilst I getting back in the air from August “pa28 out for annual” I’ve got my months lessons planned between two new/different instructors, will be good to see if either are better than last but I know it’s gonna throw me a little... my solo feels like it’s miles away right now.

Glad it all came back also :) I’m praying for the same
By Nero

Glad you have light at the end of the lockdown tunnel at least. Shame about the plane and instructor! Hopefully you'll click back into it soon

Have you done any flight simming? I really found it useful to keep familiarity of the panel and of the checklists, even a bit of navigating. The offline ATC is pants tho.

My instructor makes me do a plog for every flight which is new. Which reminds me, I must relearn the ruddy whizz wheel again...

He also keeps making me check this pre-solo checklist that the school have and get you to sign, and to keep my medical in my bag.

I'm actually getting a bit nervous about "is this the lesson" when he gets out and tells me to do the circuit myself!!
By Nero
Because I like using skydemon, I've just plotted a potential qxc route.

Do I know if the school would allow it? No

Am I anywhere near going on my qxc? No

Am I still looking forward to this really scenic (pretend) route and the sense of freedom? YESSSSImage
By skydriller
Like it...but why go around Gatwick? Its class D airspace and not as busy right now with commercial traffic as in the past? A CTR crossing is good training.
By Nero
skydriller wrote:L
why go around Gatwick?

Ah I was assuming the school wouldn't want me to do that on the cross country qualifier. But that's a question for me to ask them :)

Still a long way off so Gatwick may have recovered somewhat by then. Not that it should stop me trying, right!
skydriller liked this
By Nero
I was almost right in my route.

Apparently, Biggin are now allowing solo cross country qualifiers but still not student or solo circuits

So it'll likely be Biggin to Lydd to Southend and back, via Margate to make up the miles

Just reading some of the more recent comments on SD regarding Southend, it sounds like you get a free frisking with every visit!

Busy (ish) commercial airport with marshaling and touchy feely security. Can't wait... :)

In other news, I had a lesson on Sunday and we did diversions for the first time. First one I started sending us out to sea via Rochester instead of over Kent but I quickly realised (thank you local knowledge) and re-diverted.

After that, they went pretty darn well; arriving on time and pretty much on top of where I needed to be.

Flying, checking altitudes with class A just above, watching traffic, keeping an ear out for radio, keeping level in 25kt winds, drawing a line, measuring an angle, reading down for a speed, oh and flying again... Wow that's a lot of my brain taken up!!
T6Harvard liked this
By skydriller
Nero wrote:Biggin are now allowing solo cross country qualifiers but still not student or solo circuits

Is this normal for Biggin??

If its some kind of C19 thing, Id love to see the risk assesment justification... :roll: