For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Trent772
One of our Skippers is branching out into this area. He is based in Windsor but works all over. He is properly OCD and does some really good stuff. If you are interested, come off forum and PM me.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Had a quick look at rsync, and I have installed an rsync "app" within Docker on the Synology NAS. https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/instr ... rsync-ssh/

But still don't understand how one would automate the process. Meantime, more googling and watching a YT tutorial on Cron Jobs & scheduling etc. using Terminal, I can ssh in to my Synology NAS (using a nondescript port number set by me), but it would appear that my 10-year-old-&-no-longer-supported WD NAS doesn't support ssh access which is a blow.

Does the lack of ssh access to the WD NAS mean this is not going to work?

PS Whilst I never knew I was using Cron Jobs before, running "crontab -l" within Terminal suggests that my scheduled daily & weekly SuperDuper! backups fall within its remit. WhoKnew. :wink:
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:Automating network tasks / Cron Jobs for beginners

If I want to automate the duplication of the contents of a folder on a Synology NAS to a folder on an old WD NAS once a day or week, what would be the best way to do this?

Would this be done via the Synology UI, within macOS, using the Automator.app, by running some "script" on a RPi, or perhaps even a Cron Job? I have read up a little bit about Cron Jobs, but am not clear just where I would put it ... :oops:

The WD NAS might be limiting factor.
Adding rsync from Synology end is easy if the other device supports it.
No need to mess around with Cron - go to the Synology web UI, control panel, Task scheduler, Create Scheduled Task, User Defined Script....

Then simply add the rsync command line that you want to run:

Code: Select allrsync -r -v -t --modify-window 1 --chmod u+rwx --delete -e "ssh -i /volume1/<path to private key>/id_rsa -p 22 " /volume1/homes/ipcamera/ WebBackup@10.222.242.17::NASBackup/ipcamera/

You'll need to do a bit of learning of the rsync syntax, and create SSH ppk and put the public key on the target device. I suspect the WD NAS might not be up for this.

Easier option, buy another synology, and sync it via the 'shared folder sync' option in the UI
Colonel Panic liked this
By stevelup
You could just mount the remote NAS as a folder on the Synology using NFS or CIFS, then target rsync at that now 'local' folder.

Means the whole rsync process will be running locally on the Synology then.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
Thanks all. I am only trying to find a use for the 2x1TB WD NAS that I had forgotten that I had, and certainly don't want to buy another NAS - I don't really like them - they fall in to a bit of a no-man's land between backup & external drives - & I don't have much need for their central-server capabilities.

Will investigate the NFS / CIFS option.
By stevelup
Are all the bays full on your current NAS? If not, why not take your old WD ones to bits and just shove the drives in your main NAS...
By Colonel Panic
Yes it is already full - I only bought a DS218+ c/w 2x4TB WD Red drives. But I now have the folder within the WD drive mirrored (my term) in the Synology NAS (via CIFS). So will now go away and try to organise rsync within Docker. This is all good fun!

By Colonel Panic
In the structure below, what would be the correct "route" for rsync if I want to copy the contents ofmusic/store/ to WD_NAS_mirror/temp/ ?

rsync -av JJB_NAS/music/store/[SPACE]JJB_NAS/docker/WD_NAS_mirror/temp/ doesn't work with the error:
rsync: incremental file list
rsync: change_dir "/JJB_NAS/music/store" failed: no such file or directory (2)
rsync: mkdir "JJB_NAS/docker/WD_NAS_mirror/temp" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(664) (Receiver=3.1.3]

Nor does it work if I leave off the "JJB_NAS" bit from source & destination. :oops:

By Colonel Panic
Node-RED & localhost

I'm trying to set up Text-To-Speach (tts) within Node-RED so that an alert is voiced on an Echo Dot. From Time 05:00 in this video, a most convincing Russian ( :? ) says to type "localhost:3456" in to a browser in order to link / authorise my Alexa a/c in to the Node. But both Safari & Chrome baulk at this request. I could over ride the issue but am concerned that I could be opening a weakness in my firewall etc.

Should I be concerned, or go ahead anyway?

TIA

By stevelup
OK, I've just looked at that video. He's running the Node-RED stuff on his actual computer, hence the 'localhost' stuff.

You are (presumably) not doing so? Your Node-RED is running on a Pi or something?

So where he's putting localhost, you need to be putting your Node-RED IP