For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:If ever you needed an excuse to get a proper car, wait no longer! I have changed cars for less!

We demolished half the house to fit a new kitchen just because I cracked the hob. So I completely endorse this way of thinking :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By kanga
Might be worth checking policy: some may specifically require a report of any 'incident', whether or not a claim is made. Failure to do so may void insurance. Even without such a specific clause, there may be an arguable 'utmost good faith' obligation, should a dispute arise :roll:

[Our - longstanding LV, laudable premia and service - policies (cars, house, contents) have such a clause. They also include free windscreen chip repair or if needed relacement, with specific undertaking that any such work will not affect premium or NCD; twice used, undertaking fully honoured :thumright: ]
kanga wrote:Might be worth checking policy: some may specifically require a report of any 'incident', whether or not a claim is made. Failure to do so may void insurance. Even without such a specific clause, there may be an arguable 'utmost good faith' obligation, should a dispute arise :roll:

[Our - longstanding LV, laudable premia and service - policies (cars, house, contents) have such a clause. They also include free windscreen chip repair or if needed relacement, with specific undertaking that any such work will not affect premium or NCD; twice used, undertaking fully honoured :thumright: ]

How do you know your premium wasn’t affected? It may have been lower the following year without the claim.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Jim Jones wrote:..

How do you know your premium wasn’t affected? It may have been lower the following year without the claim.

Obviously, I cannot be sure; but premia have always stayed low, except (reasonably) after one non-windscreen incident (mine :roll: :oops: ) . The LV cover is arranged through a motoring association, with a monthly magazine, where grievances about other 'member discount' service providers are often raised in the letter pages, but never that I recall about LV service or apparent 'bad faith'; to me, a good sign. There have been letters from those who have gone to other providers after an apparently cheaper quote, but come back after poor service.

Obviously, others' experiences may be different. But I do know of cases where the 'utmost good faith'* principle was strictly applied (by another provider) to the policyholder's detriment.

*uberrima fides (</classicist, not lawyer :) >
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
RobP has it.

Part alone is c£600. Power fold, memory seat link, auto dimming, heated.........

Continental trip coming up in a fortnight so needs to be sorted by then (arguably near side mirror will be more important then!).

Also insurers advise it is illegal to drive without an off-side mirror, which I confess I didn't know.

NCD is protected, but I accept there will be an increase in premium.

Oh lawd, now have to travel 80 miles each way today in Zoe's 56 Fiesta, one of the worst cars I've ever driven, thrums horribly as soon as you hit 60. :(
By Flying_john
Crikey £600. Is that the solid gold one ?

The most expensive one I could find on ebay was £200, so am guessing yours is a virtually new car with a very clever mirror!
By Rob P
Jaguars of the current era or at least this century, are not economical on spares. The headlight unit on mine comes in around seven hundred quid before Vat and they fail.

They are incredibly good value used, because few can afford to maintain them so residuals are low.

Somehow depreciation doesn't register in the same way, but that said I'll continue to spend on spares and maintenance. At least they are tangible.

Rob P
By Flyin'Dutch'
Rob P wrote:Somehow depreciation doesn't register in the same way, but that said I'll continue to spend on spares and maintenance. At least they are tangible.

Rob P

And fully tax deductible when using the car as work transport.

Single cheapest car bar one to drive and own was a 20 year old BMW 523i, was a delight to drive as well with that silky smooth 6 in-line engine.

Cheapest to drive were the hire cars, as it saved on the airport parking.
Jaguar numbers bewilder me. Mine is a 2006 XJ Sovereign but the item above is not correct, I have seen parts for X350 and X351 but none seem to match mine.

I started looking for an XK but at 6'6" my head was touching the ceiling and with the sloping windscreen I felt as though I was looking out through a letter box slit or an early 172. Preferred the view out of my 80s XJ-S 3.6 manual race car.
By Rob P
Nero wrote:I really need to sell my 2012 XK this year. Fancy a slightly newer Jag?

It's sort of mildly tempting. But I do still get pleasure from the Morse-esque appearance of the V8R

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
PeteSpencer wrote:Then I rememberer I’d had a windscreen chip filled- by a man in a van on my front drive - all done without any paperwork or emails and completely forgotten .

I've had complete windscreen replacements on both the MR2 and the Jaguar. They didn't affect the premiums in any way at all for me. How do I know? Because mine are fairly consistent, year on year.

Rob P wrote:
Nero wrote:I really need to sell my 2012 XK this year. Fancy a slightly newer Jag?

It's sort of mildly tempting. But I do still get pleasure from the Morse-esque appearance of the V8R

No one suggested replacing it, just adding to the fleet.

Rob "Two Jags" P has a certain ring to it.
By PeteSpencer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
I've had complete windscreen replacements on both the MR2 and the Jaguar. They didn't affect the premiums in any way at all for me. How do I know? Because mine are fairly consistent, year on year.

My windscreen chip filling didn’t affect the cost of my premium -when I eventually got it-

The Ins co just refused to quote until I remembered the chip filling nearly a year previously which in view of lack of paperwork I had dismissed in my own mind as a ‘claim’. .
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Rob "Two Jags" P has a certain ring to it.

Been there, done that.

The grey V8R arrived in need of much care and attention. One factor was that only half of the Quickclear windscreen worked, and unhelpfully that was the passenger side.

I changed insurance companies this year, and then had the screen replaced as 'broken', which it patently was, on the last day of the old policy.

This thread has reminded me that I'd better declare that at the next renewal

Rob P