Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Try both.

Some seem to suggest that an easy and simple aeroplane is somehow less 'interesting' For most of us simple and easy is good as we are at best well intending amateurs, and if simple and easy keeps us out of the accident stats then that is a good achievement.

Those seeking a bit of a challenge could do worse than getting a tailwheel checkout - keeps one on one's toes but any harm done is likely on the ground in the form of a groundloop, unless done to excess that rarely involves the AAIB or big insurance pay outs. They are however good to keep any threats of skygoddery in check.
JAFO, Sean. 101 liked this
By flyingearly
Sooty25 wrote:There is an access hatch in the side of the fuselage, behind P1, but on neither of the ones I've flown is there a baggage compartment or cargo net. It's just open access for pre-flight checks really.

Maybe other ones have a cargo net type arrangement? Loads of space though, with a bit of thought.
Might just want to check the W&B before stuffing too much in there, with full tank though.

Seconded - I've never seen anyone use the baggage hatch for accessing baggage; I've not seen any netting or anything to hold stuff there, nor would I really trust it if there was - too much potential for stuff to come loose and flap about in the fuselage, or foul the cables to the rudder/elevator.

That said, there is some space underneath each of the seats, if you're careful. It's not suitable for loose items, but I squeeze my flight bag in there and it fits snugly and won't move. You need to be careful to ensure it doesn't get in the way of pulling the throttle back, but certainly you can put a jacket or grab bag there easily; it can't slide back as there's a panel blocking access to the tail section.

I'm sure others will advise against it; my instructors have always suggested it provided it's snug and can't move.
By RichJordan
flyingearly wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:Seconded - I've never seen anyone use the baggage hatch for accessing baggage; I've not seen any netting or anything to hold stuff there, nor would I really trust it if there was - too much potential for stuff to come loose and flap about in the fuselage, or foul the cables to the rudder/elevator.

At one point during my training I was semi thinking about buying a new C42. I think I remember being able to add custom fitted luggage which fitted through the hatch and into some straps or something in the back.

The back of the CT is similar, in that it's just a big hollow space all the way back to the tail. In the CT there's a perspex cage round the control rods etc. There are cargo hooks to strap stuff down. Just wish the hatches were bigger.
By Hangar16
You’ve asked a question that’s impossible to answer. As others have said try both. I’ve done 100 hrs in an EV97, and owned a C42 for 600 hours. I enjoy flying both but on balance the C42 is easier and over time has become the reliable friend I can take anywhere (and my wife likes it). The EV97 is just a little more playful.

I find long term ownership isn’t just about how the aircraft behaves in the air, but also the small things like how easily does the cowling come off, is it easy to fuel, is securing luggage a pain, does the finish scuff easily? These sort of seemingly trivial things can become irritating and are difficult to see at first sight.

If you enjoy flying I suspect you’d be delighted with either but always wonder if you should have chosen the other!

Dan
Sean. 101 liked this
By Trent772
Having not compared any of the above, I would suggest that the RV12 should be considered.

Very capable of a 245nm flight with ample reserves in 2:30.

Most people who fly it say it is extremely capable and ideal for the role...

Ahh well.

:thumleft: :mrgreen:
Flyin'Dutch', AndyR liked this
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
This thread has gone dormant but as it mentions two aircraft I've been looking at today, I hoped it'd be okay to resurrect it with a new question

Does anyone on here in the SE London / NW Kent / N Surrey tri-state area have a C42 or Eurostar?

I'd love to sit in these and maybe a quick bimble as passenger to see what they feel like.

I also saw mentions a few years old on Google of the C42 not being legal in the UK? Assuming that's not an issue now? I'm not really sure what it meant tbh.

Many thanks

~ Scott
By Sean. 101
I've had a few lessons now in the C42 since starting this post and have to say I love it! Doesn't seem too light and is nice to handle. Cockpit isn't too squashed as one may think but I am glad I made the move to convert to the microlight from the Tomahawk!