Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
skydriller wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote: it's been being shoved down all our throats for 10+ years

Not mine it hasnt or I wouldnt have brought it up. But then Im in France...

Regards, SD..

Quite surprising, as a quick web search shows a bunch of EASA (and FAA and CASA) material dated around 2013 pushing the context (so perhaps my original post should have said 6+ years). You'd have thought this was picked up in recurrent training in France, the way it has in the UK, USA and other places.

G
ak7274 wrote:A Defined Minimum Manouvering Speed has been suggested by some experts across the pond.
A minimum of 1.404 X the clean stall speed allows for controllable flight at bank angles up to 30°.
They suggest marking the ASI.

How is the 1.404 figure derived? it's close to sqrt(2) which is 1.414.

I can get values around 1.4 but they don't justify the additional 0.004.
jrp wrote:"The biggest issue with TEM is experienced people mouthing off around flying clubs about it being rubbish and undermining the whole culture."

At last a grown up talking sense. Thank you.

Is anyone here saying its rubbish or stupid? I had not heard the expression before but guessed (rightly) that it is what most of us actually do anyway when we go flying... Calling something a fancy name using complicated words doesnt make it better, and quite frankly smacks (as usual) of applying (or over applying) CAT proceedures to GA...

I for one was interested to read the list of TEM topics that was posted earlier in the thread, because Im always open to learning something new, but when you actually decipher the "HR speak" as @Rob P amusingly noted, Im happy to say I am doing this anyway.

Doesnt hurt to be reminded though.

Regards, SD..
JAFO, Rob P liked this
ChrisRowland wrote:
ak7274 wrote:A Defined Minimum Manouvering Speed has been suggested by some experts across the pond.
A minimum of 1.404 X the clean stall speed allows for controllable flight at bank angles up to 30°.

rusty eagle liked this
ak7274 wrote:
ChrisRowland wrote:

Providing noting but a link to a 25 minute video is deliberately unhelpful.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Quite surprising, as a quick web search shows a bunch of EASA (and FAA and CASA) material dated around 2013 pushing the context (so perhaps my original post should have said 6+ years). You'd have thought this was picked up in recurrent training in France, the way it has in the UK, USA and other places.
G

It had been picked up in France by 2013, as you would expect.
http://pilotage.e-monsite.com/medias/fi ... e-5-v2.pdf
ChrisRowland wrote:
ak7274 wrote:
ChrisRowland wrote:How is the 1.404 figure derived? it's close to sqrt(2) which is 1.414.

Providing noting but a link to a 25 minute video is deliberately unhelpful.

Google Defined Minimum Manouvering Speed. That may not help either.
Confess that I find a 'Minimum Manouvering Speed' exactly as helpful as a Vs1g speed - a very well defined (1.404x!!) number that is merely a guideline to flying the aircraft.

Aircraft can stall at a huge variety of speeds but only at (and beyond) one angle of attack. Getting pilots to fully appreciate how the relative airflow is impacting the chord line of the wing is far more useful.