Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Brave move by a lot of people. Can't see how they are going to move people and freight once they are on the ground......the road and rail infrastructure in that part of the world is dismal. Why would anyone want to go there in a bizjet? And the approach path is right over all of Ramsgate!
However GA friendly the airfield might or might not be, I'm just hoping they have radar and are as helpful as their predecessors to Channel hoppers.
Establishing an ATZ and or Controlled Airspace will require the submission of an Airspace Change Proposal under CAP1616 Issue 3.

That 109 week long process allows in the post Stage 5 Decision part a call-in to the Secretary of State for Transport should there be substantive objections.

Apart from any local concerns the London Airspace Modernisation Plan is well advanced so inserting up to Cat 4 sized a/c in to it might be challenging.

They're gonna need a top flight consultant to help them. :lol: :thumright:
By shortwing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:However GA friendly the airfield might or might not be, I'm just hoping they have radar and are as helpful as their predecessors to Channel hoppers.

One assumes with remote ATC they would have radar, and hopefully provide the same great lars service as before
Flyingfemme wrote:Why would anyone want to go there in a bizjet?

About 12-13 years ago I worked for Vistajet. We had cause to fly a customer in there very late on Christmas Eve and needed to get the jet out on Christmas Day.

The team came in and opened up especially for us at about 0900 on Christmas Day. Was very sad to see it close down.
By James Chan
The Department of Transport has approved the application

Let's hope its GA friendly

Promising news but we should never just sit and hope.

As with any 'proper' aerodrome, planning permission needs to stipulate adequate safeguards for airport users and FBOs as well. Otherwise it runs a repeat of all the mess that has happened elsewhere.
By Flying_john
Lets hope it benefits us all, both in terms of revenue into the area, some jobs, some training some passenger service . They were talking about an Amazon size distribution centre for incoming freight, so lots of potential for jobs, maybe another airport to land at and some big jets to watch too. Just got to hope we do not see too much Class D, but if it is I hope they have the staff and radar capacity to make it simple for GA to get a service.
ChrisGazzard wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:Why would anyone want to go there in a bizjet?

About 12-13 years ago I worked for Vistajet. We had cause to fly a customer in there very late on Christmas Eve and needed to get the jet out on Christmas Day.

The team came in and opened up especially for us at about 0900 on Christmas Day. Was very sad to see it close down.

Please tell me it was Santa! :santa:
By ChampChump
The file I would have attached is too large, apparently. It's available widely, so I'm sure interested parties will have seen or can see it.

Appendix A –Manston Airport Airspace Design and Procedures
Options Development
Part 2

was the latest I saw.
By Iceman
I overflow Manston a few weeks back. A vast open area looking very empty at the moment. I first went there to do a PAR approach back in RAF days and subsequently flew TG Aviation’s Seneca for a while. It wasn’t unusual to share the circuit there with a 747.

Iceman 8)