Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Sean. 101
Hi guys,

I already have a SEP ppl and have for nearly 4 years now however with costs high per hour renting a 2 seater and microlights roughly half the price per hour what would you suggest to convert into. The Ikarus C42 or the Eurostar? The school I'm looking at locally has both in the fleet.
By Sean. 101
I was going to book for the Eurostar and didn't really think much into the C42 however I've been told the C42 is a lot nicer to fly and in the Eurostar you feel all the turbulence and movement?
By Rob P
I can't comment based on 15 minutes flying an EV97 (pleasant enough) and not really even knowing what a C-42 looks like. I have flown in a C-47, but I doubt there are many similarities.

In the end it all comes down to which you find suits you best. It's unlikely that either is better in every aspect.

Rob P
By mikehallam
One has read that the C42 is far too easy to fly (boring later on) so one doesn't acquire the finer skills which require footwork too.
A little turbulnce shouldn't hurt as it's a just a 'plane & that's what they do !
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sean. 101 wrote:I was going to book for the Eurostar and didn't really think much into the C42 however I've been told the C42 is a lot nicer to fly and in the Eurostar you feel all the turbulence and movement?

Why not book hour on each and see which you prefer?

My local school has both and each has its devotees.
By flyingearly
I learnt in the C42; my school offers the C42 for the NPPL M and then a Sting for progression onto Group A.

While I haven't flown any other aircraft for at least a decade (back in the day I started my PPL in a C152) I can probably support what others have said about the C42; it's very easy to fly, very benign and I'm sure it masks lots of my mistakes. It's hard to stall, lands very slow, tolerates heavy landings and recovers momentum quite readily. I'm only 10 hours post licence and I'm thinking about what to progress and move onto (SSEA) - I can empathise, it feels like driving a go-kart and I can see how it might get boring.

If you haven't already, have a look on YouTube at The Micropilot as he flys the C42 and others, or Rory on Air who flies the Eurostar. Not a direct insight, but might be helpful!

If it helps, I really enjoyed learning on the C42. It feels like a 'proper' aircraft (in fact, in can be registered as Group A), is very comfortable, well heated and much more spacious than you'd think.
By RichJordan
flyingearly wrote:I really enjoyed learning on the C42. It feels like a 'proper' aircraft (in fact, in can be registered as Group A)

As can the EV97.

Learnt in a C42. Have a pal with an EV97 (which I've got a few hours in).

EV97 definitely a nicer aircraft to fly, strangely quiet (compared to some other Rotax aircraft), very nicely weighted controls.

C42 much tougher, really strong main gear. Can be equipped with a BRS, pleasant to fly, although perhaps a little uninvolved.

Eurostar definitely feels more fun. Eurostar has better cargo area. (Directly behind seats rather than accessed through hatches. My CT has the hatch set up and it's frustrating).

Both are limited by fairly small fuel tanks.
By ArthurG
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I first learned to fly in an EV97 and later flew a few hours in a C42. I think the C42 is a better trainer, easier to build confidence in and much more stable. The EV97 handles beautifully, *IF* there is still air.
By Sooty25
I've got about 50hrs on C42's, but none on EV97 so can't give a comparison.

The C42 is easy to fly and performs well, however, I've always been surprised it is used for training due to the unusual cockpit layout.

Single centre stick
Throttle control between your legs
and a centrally mounted overhead flap lever that can cause pilots to push the stick forward when operating until used to it.

Very balanced and requires little rudder input, so be aware of that when progressing onto something different.

Just my opinion, as they say, it's probably worth what you paid for it!
By Sooty25
Sean. 101 wrote:In regards to the Ikarus, does it have space for your pilot bag etc behind the seats or in a easily accessible place as I can't seem to find any videos which show it or pictures.

There is an access hatch in the side of the fuselage, behind P1, but on neither of the ones I've flown is there a baggage compartment or cargo net. It's just open access for pre-flight checks really.

Maybe other ones have a cargo net type arrangement? Loads of space though, with a bit of thought.
Might just want to check the W&B before stuffing too much in there, with full tank though.

You can just see the outline of the hatch on this image in this link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62940958@N05/25796624280/