Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
He is clearly loaded:

How else can he spare infinite time, money and expense, get custom shocks made and a whole host of other indicators.
What a great place to be in.

Peter :wink:
By shortwing
PeteSpencer wrote:He is clearly loaded:

How else can he spare infinite time, money and expense, get custom shocks made and a whole host of other indicators.
What a great place to be in.

Peter :wink:

I think thats obvious but you don't need to be loaded to have enthusiasm and energy for aviation
By proteus
I don't think he has infinite time, I understand he also works his day job full time. I suspect he just doesn't need a lot of sleep and always has to be doing something. I always enjoy seeing his creative solutions and ability to make stuff remarkably quickly
By PeteSpencer
Just watched the latest episode - preparing for paint job.

What amazes me is the lengths he goes to to secure a perfect carbon fibre surface in areas where he will not be painting.
I.e. where he plans to retain the native carbon fibre appearance.

Filler won't do so he applies a 'sacrificial' extra layer of carbon fibre and resin which he can then sand down without compromising the integrity of the structural carbon fibre.

I guess he has a mahoosive power/weight ratio on his engine to make up for the weight of all these extra layers.
Most impressive.

Peter
Edit sp.
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regarding the carbon finish areas: Given he's probably using 200 grams/m2 carbon, which hand laid would result in a 50/50 resin to carbon ratio, giving roughly 400grams/m2, and probably 1/3 of that is being sanded off, that results in 266 grams/m2 to get that finish rather than microballoons for areas that are being painted, which probably comes to about 25 g/m2. So, assuming he's got roughly 6m2 of shiny carbon finish, you're looking at a weight penalty of about 1.5KG over the whole aeroplane. Given the size of it, I think it's weight well spent. Even if it's 12 square metres of carbon finish, that's still only 3kg on an aeroplane that looks like it will easily lift 2 tons.
PeteSpencer, shortwing, youngman1 and 1 others liked this