For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
You should experience everything in life except something certain to get donked despite being legal and morris dancing

Rob P
Rob P wrote:That is true. Poor sods.

But you will recall this arose from a tKF post about hiring, not ownership.

Which reminds me I still have V12 and V10 to tick off.

Rob P

Edit: There was a Ferrari I forgot. And a Diablo. Make that V10.

I reckon this will be the way things go, we will almost all drive EVs but will occasionally rent a Ferrari, Aston, Porsche until we can't get petrol any more.
Must go, I've just had a new software update and can't wait to see what's new :D
PeteSpencer wrote:My 5.9 litre 200hp flat four

It does make you think when a 1.5 litre three-cylinder Fiesta manages 195bhp that we pay a high price for reliability.

Rob P

Just checked the torque figures out of interest and unsurprisingly it's around 180 ft lb for the Ford and 290 ft lb for the Lycoming
Last edited by Rob P on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:

It does make you think when a 1.5 litre three-cylinder Fiesta manages 195bhp that we pay a high price for reliability.

Rob P

Ford gives a 100,000 mile engine warranty, doesn't it? c. 1400 hours if you spend your life at 70mph; or 5,000 hours if you live in London. (Other wild estimates of average speed are available.)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Good point, well made.

The first car I had with any form of trip computer (1984 from memory) was an 140mph Renault. My driving in those days was best described as 'enthusiastic', and on a mix of (say) 60% A and B roads out in the Cotswolds, 25% town use and 15% motorways I found it almost invariably averaged out at 50mph, however hard I pressed on.

I doubt many Fiesta STs will reach 100,000 miles from my observation as to how they are driven once they slip a little bit down the used car market into chav territory.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:I doubt many Fiesta STs will reach 100,000 miles

We have a Fiat 500 city hack that's just about to tip over 100k which has had a new clutch and a couple of shockers on top of the usual pads, bulbs and occasional quart of oil. We've even given up any servicing beyond what it needs for the MOT and it's still going strong on the same filter its had since 70k. Proper cheap motoring and who'd have thunked that of Fiat in the 80's.
Rob P liked this
I was more thinking of accidents and theft for parts/joyriding.

The Fiesta ST is an object of desire for chav-teens.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
nallen wrote:
Rob P wrote:

Rob P

Ford gives a 100,000 mile engine warranty, doesn't it? c. 1400 hours if you spend your life at 70mph; or 5,000 hours if you live in London. (Other wild estimates of average speed are available.)

I wonder how the Fiesta engine would fare if the car only had one gear and spent most of its life on the motorway at 75% power....

Regards, SD..
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
[Jaguar] recently registered to trademark the nameplate 'EV-Type' with the World Intellectual Property Organizational. (Autocar)

You can see where that might be headed.

Rob P
By nallen
@stevelup How far has the train with your Polestar got?
By stevelup
It's on a boat instead. They decided electric cars on a train would make the train blow up or something.

Delivery looking like August. People with order numbers 200 lower than me have been given their VINs now, so I'm expecting mine any time soon.

So all things considered, and bearing in mind COVID etc., it's just one month late. Which is pretty impressive I think.

All the reviews have been positive so far, so I'm less worried than I was. I've never bought a car before without a proper 24hr test drive. This one, I've not even seen in the flesh, let alone sat in, even less so driven.

I don't think I have ever been this excited about a new car... I'm driving my other half mad showing her videos and reviews and stuff. It was particularly annoying for her when the only stuff I could find was in Chinese :lol:

Here's my config.
Flyin'Dutch', nallen, Colonel Panic and 2 others liked this