For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
townleyc wrote:Shame about the blended one there :shock:

I think the confusion stems from your understanding of what a blended whisky is. :wink: Single malt indicates the contents are from single malt whiskies only. :D Talisker Storm is a malt whisky, not a blended whisky. :thumright:

I would, however, suggest you shouldn't write off all blended whiskies. I have tasted some I prefer to certain malts. :D

Bill McCarthy wrote:Some of these “tasters” must have been on a bender to come up with “ swirling notes of wood brine and spice”.

When I was in the Central Belt and a member of The Scotch Malt Whisky Society I never ceased to wonder how they came up with their tasting notes. The most surprising was, 'a hint of used Durex'…I kid you not. :pukel: I think us fellas may consider that worse than @PeteSpencer drinking creosote. :wink:

Their tastings are highly recommended. :thumright:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
I would, however, suggest you shouldn't write off all blended whiskies. I have tasted some I prefer to certain malts. :D

I agree. I much prefer single malts, but blends like Chivas Regal are very good too. I used to drink Johnny Walker Black Label once upon a time too. Now I tend only to keep a bottle of blended Scotch in the cabinet for mixing with ginger wine for those so inclined.

PW
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:

I think the confusion stems from your understanding of what a blended whisky is. :wink: Single malt indicates the contents are from single malt whiskies only. :D Talisker Storm is a malt whisky, not a blended whisky. :thumright:

I wouldn't totally disagree, plenty of good blends, but it is not a Single Malt. I have enjoyed it before, but prefer their declared vintages, but more so some of the Islay malts

KE
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
townleyc wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:

Single malt indicates the contents are from single malt whiskies only. :D Talisker Storm is a malt whisky, not a blended whisky. :thumright:

I wouldn't totally disagree, plenty of good blends, but it is not a Single Malt. I have enjoyed it before, but prefer their declared vintages, but more so some of the Islay malts

KE

Then someone should get the distillers to re-write their false claims on the label......................
Or prosecute them under the Trade Description Act 1968.

Peter :roll:
PeteSpencer wrote:Then someone should get the distillers to re-write their false claims on the label......................
Or prosecute them under the Trade Description Act 1968.

They are not false claims. :D

However if you are asking for authentication of claims, I'll oblige by asking you, please… :D
Pete Spencer wrote:Never could understand the desire to take a perfectly good whisky and make it taste like creosote............
Miscellaneous wrote:
townleyc wrote:I feel it is debatable...

A debate worthy of a fly-in to Islay for discussion at either the Caol Ila or Bunnahabhain distillery. :thumright:

What a setting... :wink:

I’d rather fly down the Rhône valley for my favourite tipple(s)

Peter
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Bill Haddow wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:A debate worthy of a fly-in to Islay . . . . . . . What a setting... :wink:

I don't find Islay all that scenic, the best bits are the views of Jura.

Bill H

I agree, have a look at the location of the two distilleries I chose, that wasn't by accident :D and of course scenery is all relative. :wink:
Bill Haddow wrote:I don't find Islay all that scenic, the best bits are the views of Jura.

Bill H

Every bottle of Laphroaig that I have purchased over the years includes a small card telling me that by virtue of my purchase I now own a tiny plot of land on the island. I must now own a good two thirds of the island and I keep meaning to pop up there and collect some rents. :lol:

PW
townleyc liked this
Propwash wrote:
Bill Haddow wrote:I don't find Islay all that scenic, the best bits are the views of Jura.

Bill H

Every bottle of Laphroaig that I have purchased over the years includes a small card telling me that by virtue of my purchase I now own a tiny plot of land on the island. I must now own a good two thirds of the island and I keep meaning to pop up there and collect some rents. :lol:

PW

As @Bill Haddow suggests it is not the first choice for scenery, however that is more a testament to what else Scotland has to offer than Islay being particularly poor. :D It is a worthwhile destination for whisky lovers, although not all distilleries are equal in visitor facilities. Bunnahabhain, for example, is in a lovely spot, but is one of the poorer ones facilities wise. I doubt you would be disappointed at having visited. Jura also has a distillery, of course.

Bunnahabhain Distilery

Right turn just after 31 departure.

T6Harvard liked this
Looks nice. I know the West coast tolerably well having family from my mother's side living there and spending considerable amounts of time up there in school holidays and subsequent visits over the years. I have family on Skye (which I don't like much actually - the place not the people) but haven't visited many of the other islands because most of the family are on the mainland; I keep meaning to do so. Perhaps if world travel remains dubious for a while I may even get round to it over the next year :D

PW