Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tnowak
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
With reference to the thread about French only speaking FISOs, who would be responsible for the FR only policy at Amiens?
Would it be the local Chambre of Commerce, town council or airfield management?
Just wondered if it would be worth writing to the relevant authority (and tourist office?) to point out the benefits of having an English speaking FISO as well?
As mentioned in the LFAT thread, Amiens is close to the coast, has a lovely town and cathedral and would make an ideal alternative GA destination in that area of France.
Perhaps a Flyer petition is needed!
TonyN
By Iceman
I thought that James33 had provided an answer to that question in that thread.

Iceman 8)
By Rob P
Besides which, Albert offer customs, Amiens don't.

Albert every time.

Rob P
G-BLEW, Ibra liked this
By johnm
AlanM wrote:Woooooah!

I thought everything was better en France?

[hides!!]

It is but just not quite as good as it used to be :-)
AlanM liked this
By AlanM
On a serious note. France is an interesting place for national protectionism, like its language.

For us to be given some of the Class E over the French mainland (south of Cherbourg) I believe that we would be expected to speak enough French to deal with GA that is only French speaking. - Which very few of our team could. Therefore it never happened.
By patowalker
tnowak wrote:..., Amiens is close to the coast, has a lovely town and cathedral and would make an ideal alternative GA destination in that area of France. ...
TonyN

Fly in between 12.00 and 14.00 using a crib sheet. Departure during AFIS hours will require a very limited exchange in French, after you have been up to the tower to pay your landing fee and had the opportunity to tell the ladies how much you have enjoyed your visit, apologising in advance for your poor French.
AlanM, Ibra liked this
By Kemble Pitts
patowalker wrote:
tnowak wrote:..., Amiens is close to the coast, has a lovely town and cathedral and would make an ideal alternative GA destination in that area of France. ...
TonyN

Fly in between 12.00 and 14.00 using a crib sheet. Departure during AFIS hours will require a very limited exchange in French, after you have been up to the tower to pay your landing fee and had the opportunity to tell the ladies how much you have enjoyed your visit, apologising in advance for your poor French.

Very much what I did last year!
By tnowak
Yes, that is what I have done in the past.
Unfortunately, the last time I visited I may have been early or late with respect to the lunch break as the AFIS person was still on the radio.
Everything was fine with my French crib sheet calls until after landing when she kept telling me to do something (in French).
After three attempts of me not understanding her she then said in English "cleared to backtrack"!
I now have that phrase on my crib sheet....
By Rob P
tnowak wrote:I now have that phrase on my crib sheet....

Google suggests

autorisé à revenir en arrière

What do you have?

Rob P
By Iceman
Knowing Amiens, “180, backtrack” in perfect English :lol:.

Iceman 8)
Rob P liked this
By 2Donkeys
Faire Demi Tour and
Remonter la piste

are the usual expressions.
Last edited by 2Donkeys on Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P, G-BLEW liked this
By 2Donkeys
My iPad doesn’t like it when I try to type French. Typo corrected
By Ibra
Faites un 180 et remonter la piste en service

Me: par la gauche? ou la droite? 8)