Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Did anyone manage to land there in the last 2 years?, I tried a couple of times and got told not to bother calling again by someone calling himself the track manager though I reckon he was just a security guard manning the phone
By James Chan
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As much as I'd like to defend aerodromes, Bruntingthorpe has, for as long as I have been flying, always belonged to a category of aerodrome that was on its way out. Visits by the public by air had never been that straightforward, its location is in the middle of rural farmland, and its primary purpose set on motor vehicle storage.

The nearest VFR aerodrome - Leicester isn't too far away by road: 20 mins. An IFR alternate at Sywell is just over 35 minutes away. Both make better hubs for onward connections.

It's unusual for me to say - but given the proximity of alternatives and ease of getting to those by road, the sparse local population density, and the lack of air transport demand into and out of Bruntingthorpe, this is one of the few aerodromes I won't miss.
I flew into Bruntingthorpe although it was a few years ago now. I recall obtaining PPR was a bit of a faff but well worth it. Fascinating time spent wandering around the aircraft and chatting with the very amiable folks working on them. A pleasant walk to the pub in the village where we had a good lunch before flying home. Chaps on the security gate were cheerful and helpful. All in all a good day out and a shame the opportunity to do so again will be lost.
By mick w
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
James Chan wrote:As much as I'd like to defend aerodromes, Bruntingthorpe has, for as long as I have been flying, always belonged to a category of aerodrome that was on its way out. Visits by the public by air had never been that straightforward, its location is in the middle of rural farmland, and its primary purpose set on motor vehicle storage.

The nearest VFR aerodrome - Leicester isn't too far away by road: 20 mins. An IFR alternate at Sywell is just over 35 minutes away. Both make better hubs for onward connections.

It's unusual for me to say - but given the proximity of alternatives and ease of getting to those by road, the sparse local population density, and the lack of air transport demand into and out of Bruntingthorpe, this is one of the few aerodromes I won't miss.

But you won't hear noises like that at either of those Airfields :? :thumright:
avtur3, AshleyFlynn23 liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:..
We also did a Project Propeller there one year IIRC.

2009. A good day, but requiring quite a low final few miles under a murky ceiling.

ISTR a certain former Forumite arriving IFR in his familiar Aztec and descending via an informal cloudbreak with radar assistance from Coventry. He assured me it was quite legal, and safer than VFR scudrunning, and he was probably right :)
cessna152towser liked this
I flew in 5 years ago.

Realised my inner child by sitting in a Sea Vixen, Lightning and Guppy and making the appropriate noises :D

Tried to do the same with a VC10 and got into serious bother as it was still technically RAF property :oops:

I wish the Cold War Jets Collection every success in being able to relocate their fantastic (working) aeroplanes :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch', Lockhaven liked this
kanga wrote:ISTR a certain former Forumite arriving IFR in his familiar Aztec and descending via an informal cloudbreak with radar assistance from Coventry. He assured me it was quite legal, and safer than VFR scudrunning, and he was probably right :)

Ahh yes, them were the days. He still does :D
kanga liked this