Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By MachFlyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I know this sort of thing has been done to death lately but if someone could answer me in plain English I’d be very grateful.

Forgetting about the current exemptions, going forward will i be able to fly 3 axis microlights on my LAPL using a medical declaration? I ask as I have read somewhere recently (can’t find it now) that you would need a medical and that a PMD cannot be used with a UK issued Part FCL LAPL?

Is that just to fly spam cans or can you still fly microlights on a PMD/LAPL combination?

Thanks in advance for any help :thumleft:
By Irv Lee
MachFlyer wrote:Forgetting about the current exemptions, going forward will i be able to fly 3 axis microlights on my LAPL using a medical declaration?

Assuming you have microlight differences training sign off, you can/may/will.... Providing the lapl(a) has sep privileges and you meet lapl(a) validity rules on the day of each p1 flight
@Irv Lee - can you point me to the reference(s) for that?

I'd be really interested in that and have so far read the regulation to say that a UK issued Part-FCL licence will need at least a LAPL medical from (with the current extension) 8th November.
By Irv Lee
@jafo Not sure which bit you mean, but it's all in the ano now, will reference later.
Added: in fact, my one page catch up already references most:
, ANO articles 162, 150 and 163

www.higherplane.co.uk/bfr-ground.pdf
JAFO liked this
By MachFlyer
Thanks Irv that’s how I thought it was but from looking at other posts on other threads it had put a doubt in my mind.

My flying post GST hasn’t planned out how I thought it would so microlights would seem to fit my type of flying ideally at the moment. Just need to get the training now when it all opens up again.

I will have a look at your website when I’m on my laptop, thanks again :thumleft:
By Irv Lee
MachFlyer wrote:Thanks Irv that’s how I thought it was but from looking at other posts on other threads it had put a doubt in my mind.

My flying post GST hasn’t planned out how I thought it would so microlights would seem to fit my type of flying ideally at the moment. Just need to get the training now when it all opens up again.

I will have a look at your website when I’m on my laptop, thanks again :thumleft:

Yes, and if you have a look at Flyer's chat (video) with BMAA and LAA, it all looks bright for next year - one main message is clearly the understanding (that is often missing) that many pilots get their info 3rd, 4th, or 5th hand, and emphasis is that recent announcements do NOT mean suddenly allowing existing microlights more max weight the next time they fly!
MachFlyer liked this