Polite discussion about EASA, the CAA, the ANO and the delights of aviation regulation.
Forum rules: Please keep it polite!
Apologies if I have horrendously misunderstood things.

I have an NPPL(M) right now and I understand that the only route forward for me (in one sense) is to undertake a small additional volume of hours, plus a few exams, to convert the NPPL(M) to NPPL (SSEA), which will allow me to fly permit aircraft.

I understand that the NPPL(M) > EASA/LAPL route closed in 2018, which shut the door on people like me who couldn't complete their training by then.

I've read the other threads about the microlight hours now counting for EASA revalidation, but that they don't count for new PPL licences, but my question is: are there any active conversations still going on, or is the topic completely dead, about people in my situation who might want to go on a fly something like a Cessna without having to do the PPL (almost) ab initio again?

I find it really confusing that I learnt in a C42 which - in another life - can be registered as a Group A aircraft and so my 'upgrade' options really are limited only by bureaucracy.

It would be good to know whether there are still conversations that might give me hope, or has this been comprehensively put to bed? Should I carry on waiting? Is there anyone looking at this, or lobbying?

If the topic is dead, has anyone any experience of starting the PPL from scratch post NPPL(M)? Am I right in thinking that I can claim 10% of my microlight hours against the PPL, up to a maximum of 10 hours? Not that this helps me much, as it would only give me a couple of hours credit?
PhilS, B1engineer liked this
I would just get an ssea, firstly, we don't know if you could complete a ppl course by Jan 1st (schools not training yet, maybe extra shortage of FI when older ones want to delay restarting themselves, schools concentrating on finishing existing students, autumn weather like 2019) and then you might find Mr Cummings has ordered "no Easa" deal and then i suspect you would soon after have an upgrade to ppl with plenty of credit from ssea.
flyingearly wrote:I've read the other threads about the microlight hours now counting for EASA revalidation, but that they don't count for new PPL licences, but my question is: are there any active conversations still going on, or is the topic completely dead, about people in my situation who might want to go on a fly something like a Cessna without having to do the PPL (almost) ab initio again?

I'm sure there are many folks really hoping that someone is looking at this. I've just recently completed the addition of SSEA to my NPPL (A) Microlight. It was definitely a worthwhile upgrade as it allows me to fly a permit aircraft that I have a share in and this meets my needs for now.

That said, what I suspect would be really appreciated is a sensible progression to LAPL/PPL with reasonable credit. Many folks have been patiently waiting for over 2 years for this, hoping that something is just around the corner.

Once training is permitted again, I plan to work towards a LAPL/PPL, for two reasons - to make trips to European locations possible and to ensure that I keep learning and progressing.
Grelly liked this
As Irv says, if we leave EASA at the end of the year, then all the current "EASA" aeroplanes should become normal UK aeroplanes again, which you'll be able to fly on an NPPL SSEA. Also it may be possible that the UK then implement a sensible upgrade to the ICAO compliant UK PPL.

If we don't leave EASA then it's all going to be as it is today.